Run on flat type system for road bikes (Vittoria Airliner Road)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bungle73

Run on flat type system for road bikes (Vittoria Airliner Road)

Post by bungle73 »

Just seen the latest video over at GCN about the Vittoria Airliner system:

[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66KPtappr-c&t=252s[/youtube]

This really has piqued my interest as I have considered going tubeless for the puncture protection, and my daily rides tend to be 20-30 miles and if I could just ride home should the worst happen and I get a puncture that won't seal, that would be the bees knees, when I tend to get them in the middle of winter at the furthest point on my ride from home.

Thoughts?
freeflow

Re: Run on flat type system for road bikes (Vittoria Airliner Road)

Post by freeflow »

It's a bit too close to a certain day to be taken at face value immediately.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

There are enough places supposedly selling them...

I could consider it, for 20” wheels - but as a commuter option it would be really nice.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Don't Schwalbe sell M+ as "run flat"?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

They still risk pulling off the rim in a corner, these basically give you a 2bar “base pressure” which should be enough to preserve the tyre.

Of course M+ are also not known for being supple, easy rolling tyres.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
nez

Post by nez »

Just put a pair of M+ on for a relly who is puncture prone. Rode the bike to test it out (as you do). Blimey. Like i always imagined wooden rims would be. Especially after my 50mm schwalbs on my koga!
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

nez wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 5:00pm Just put a pair of M+ on for a relly who is puncture prone. Rode the bike to test it out (as you do). Blimey. Like i always imagined wooden rims would be. Especially after my 50mm schwalbs on my koga!
Sounds like my experience the tyres were that rigid the sidewalls failed and replaced under warranty.

Now you either want light or puncture resistance and as the joys of keeping a 9 yr old focused while fixing a puncture are not fun I have puncture compound and Jack Brown Blue and what a difference- comfortable, grip and affordable.

If you really want puncture proof fit the foam airless tyres, nobody says about how supple so guessing like wooden wheels.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ClappedOut wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 8:01pm If you really want puncture proof fit the foam airless tyres, nobody says about how supple so guessing like wooden wheels.
Similar to M+ based on my short ride on them. Main problem is they feel odd cornering and I know a couple of people who fell riding them in the wet, so I wouldn't.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
nez

Post by nez »

ClappedOut wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 8:01pm
nez wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 5:00pm Just put a pair of M+ on for a relly who is puncture prone. Rode the bike to test it out (as you do). Blimey. Like i always imagined wooden rims would be. Especially after my 50mm schwalbs on my koga!
Sounds like my experience the tyres were that rigid the sidewalls failed and replaced under warranty.

Now you either want light or puncture resistance and as the joys of keeping a 9 yr old focused while fixing a puncture are not fun I have puncture compound and Jack Brown Blue and what a difference- comfortable, grip and affordable.

If you really want puncture proof fit the foam airless tyres, nobody says about how supple so guessing like wooden wheels.
Funnily enough Ive had Marathon plus on a Brompton for years and never found anything to complain about. But the B is so weird to ride as it is. I should sell it as Ive been retired for 5 years this year and won’t be commuting anymore. But maybe one day I might take a railway tour as that chap did in the CUK magazine. If the government ever lets us loose again. :-(
pwa

Post by pwa »

As I have never had a problem fixing a puncture I have also never been drawn to a tyre just because it offers superior puncture resistance. A nice, easy rolling and compliant ride tops my list of desirable attributes, with good puncture resistance a very nice extra feature if it can be had without affecting that. Only the supplest "Marathon" tyres, the Supremes, fit the bill from that range. I have some nearly new regular Marathons that I abandoned for giving a harsh ride and they are hanging on the garage wall until I find someone locally who has a use for them. As for "run flat" tyres, I can see how they might be of benefit to folk who mostly do rides of 30 miles or less, especially if they have arthritic hands or some other weakness that gets in the way of an easy tube change. But I suspect such tyres might not give the supplest ride at normal pressures. That would be my worry.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

pwa wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 6:51am As I have never had a problem fixing a puncture I have also never been drawn to a tyre just because it offers superior puncture resistance. A nice, easy rolling and compliant ride tops my list of desirable attributes, with good puncture resistance a very nice extra feature if it can be had without affecting that. Only the supplest "Marathon" tyres, the Supremes, fit the bill from that range. I have some nearly new regular Marathons that I abandoned for giving a harsh ride and they are hanging on the garage wall until I find someone locally who has a use for them. As for "run flat" tyres, I can see how they might be of benefit to folk who mostly do rides of 30 miles or less, especially if they have arthritic hands or some other weakness that gets in the way of an easy tube change. But I suspect such tyres might not give the supplest ride at normal pressures. That would be my worry.
But they don’t affect the ride of whichever tyres you’re using; that’s the point.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

£90 for two pieces of foam. I don't think so..
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Good post as I heard about them on the Tour of Flanders race. Sounds expensive and even with arthritic thumbsI can still change the tube with some soap on the rim I will give these a miss.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

freeflow wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 6:52pm £90 for two pieces of foam. I don't think so..
You're not just paying for a "piece of foam" are you, you're paying for the research and development.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

freeflow wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 6:52pm £90 for two pieces of foam. I don't think so..
Quite a few tyres are similar in price for a couple of bits of rubber....

These have the real possibility of preventing a single vehicle accident, so £90 does t sound bad to me