A ride for Brucey....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jamesh

A ride for Brucey....

Post by Jamesh »

I'm starting this thread about great rides you have risen recently or in the past.... in honour of our expert and freind Brucey. Mechanical mishaps especially welcome.....

My ride today was my first century of 2021 from Baildon west Yorkshire up to hawes and back down to settle and Skipton etc.

Bike was prepared including a chain deep clean and relube with gt85 and then chainwax.
Wind was in the face and cold s slog up to grassington, coffee and banana at the horse box well recomended!

Onwards and upwards over the climb to hawes (name of climb unknown).

Climb was going well until the steepest section at the top when the chain snapped and I landed in the tarmac with a grazed knee!

Alright simple job with the quick links where are they in my saddle bag at home! 30 mins to fiddle with the cheap chain tool and I was in my way again. Bacon butty and coffee in hawes before a famous rude to Horton in ribblesdale glorious decent only interrupted by the noisy moterbikes. 3 peaks were in full glorious sunshine - my soul sang!!

Past through Horton in ribblesdale and sadly a motorcyclist had come off. Others were in attendance so I pressed on to Settle.

Once I arrived at settle I pulled into 3 peaks cycles and a new 10 SPD chain £33!! Only once I brought it I realised it was an ultegra 6660 one ouch! If my Mrs finds out I'm in the dog house! I'll tell her I'll sell the old one to my freind Bernard as memorabilia.

Rode out of settle on big hill lane which didn't disappoint! I walked the last 4 lampposts to save my legs and the dodgy chain. Rest of the ride home was ok but went via Bradley to avoid the a65 three steep hills to put the legs in the red!

6h30 15.5 AVG in saltaire 15.3 up final climb to home :( :(

So don't over lubricate your chain and beware of expensive bike shops. Perhaps he didn't have a HG chain available. Or thought I was from Ikley!!

Cheers James
foxyrider

Re: A ride for Brucey.... around the south Cotswolds

Post by foxyrider »

My first century of the year was last week, today it was 'only' 94 miles!

Having looked at the forecast i set off roughly north, through the lanes east of the M5 up to Cam where i changed tack slightly for Frocester and the back road to Stroud. I stopped at a roadside van for a bacon sarnie and tea to both warm me up and congratulate myself for doing the thirty miles into a quite stiff headwind!

Back on two wheels i started eastwards towards Cirencester, climbing gradually for a couple of miles before the last steep pitch onto the south Cotswold massif. I had intended going along to Cirencester then pretty much straight back to catch maximum wind advantage but it was looking a bit brighter so instead i started a meander to Malmesbury taking in Kemble, Minety and Charlton along the way. Again i debated going straight back but at Acton Turville i turned south, taking a few lanes to reach the Fosse Way.

I took a slight deviation, as an experiment along to Marshfield before returning to the Roman Road at Colerne and then dropping into the Avon valley to return to base via Aqua Sulis and a length of the Bristol/Bath path which at turned 5 was fairly quiet. So yes, 150km / 94miles and a surprising 1250m of climbing hidden away in all those lanes.

Sorry, no mechanical mishaps today - maybe a couple of sessions of preventative care earlier in the week helped with that! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jamesh

Re: A ride for Brucey....

Post by Jamesh »

Well done nice ride!!!

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

What make of chain what was it that broke James?
You're not one of those with a joint bank account are you? :shock:
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I don't know the make of the chain and my financial affairs are strictly private!

Any how you missed a post about wiggle tyres btw!!

Cheers James
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jamesh wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 5:08pm I'm starting this thread about great rides you have risen recently or in the past.... in honour of our expert and freind Brucey. Mechanical mishaps especially welcome.....

My ride today was my first century of 2021 from Baildon west Yorkshire up to hawes and back down to settle and Skipton etc.

Bike was prepared including a chain deep clean and relube with gt85 and then chainwax.
Wind was in the face and cold s slog up to grassington, coffee and banana at the horse box well recomended!

Climb was going well until the steepest section at the top when the chain snapped and I landed in the tarmac with a grazed knee!

Alright simple job with the quick links where are they in my saddle bag at home! 30 mins to fiddle with the cheap chain tool and I was in my way again. Bacon butty and coffee in hawes before a famous rude to Horton in ribblesdale glorious decent only interrupted by the noisy moterbikes. 3 peaks were in full glorious sunshine - my soul sang!!

Past through Horton in ribblesdale and sadly a motorcyclist had come off. Others were in attendance so I pressed on to Settle.

Once I arrived at settle I pulled into 3 peaks cycles and a new 10 SPD chain £33!! Only once I brought it I realised it was an ultegra 6660 one ouch! If my Mrs finds out I'm in the dog house! I'll tell her I'll sell the old one to my freind Bernard as memorabilia.

Rode out of settle on big hill lane which didn't disappoint! I walked the last 4 lampposts to save my legs and the dodgy chain. Rest of the ride home was ok but went via Bradley to avoid the a65 three steep hills to put the legs in the red!

So don't over lubricate your chain and beware of expensive bike shops. Perhaps he didn't have a HG chain available. Or thought I was from Ikley!!

Cheers James
90 miles at 15.5 MPH that's some tramping.
I am here. Where are you?
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

or kph?
nez

Post by nez »

Jamesh wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 5:08pm
Alright simple job with the quick links where are they in my saddle bag at home! 30 mins to fiddle with the cheap chain tool and I was in my way again.
Epic ride. Good for you. I used a spare quick link on my bike about 18 months ago after lugging a couple about in my kit for more than 30 years. Not always the same link, of course, not least because I have gone from 5 speed to 11 speed in that time. I can't say how gratifying it was to have the opportunity to use one at last.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Grandad wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 6:19pm
or kph?
I recon it's MPH cos 90/6.5 = 13.8MPH bring the pedal time to 6hrs and you get 15MPH with half an hour to eat. -- at 90 miles I'd be needing a lot more eating time that's for sure. I've done 100 and ate 3 or 4 times that day.

Also 15kph would be about 9MPH so it would take roughly 10 hrs steady pedal -- more my speed.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Yes 15.5 mph for 104 miles in total.

Legs don't feel to bad today tbh.

Glad I went your yesterday rather than today or tomorrow!

Cheers James
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

I did Ely to Mildenhall and back today. The route was 33 miles there and back. Some wild men in florescents tried to give me a hard time cycling over a bridge because there was apparently some student oaves mucking about in the water and they wanted to have their picture took. Don't they know I am an elite international athlete out training!

I used the brompton that Brucey repaired and sold to me and it has been a fabulous bike. I used it in Munich to get to Landsberg am Lecht and it goes for free on the S-bahn. On Sufolk coast roads it was great. It is perfect for dropping off and picking up cars from the MOT..

I thought about Brucey quite a bit and especially how stuck I would be if anything went wrong with the hub gear!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jamesh wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 8:05pm Yes 15.5 mph for 104 miles in total.

Legs don't feel to bad today tbh.

Glad I went your yesterday rather than today or tomorrow!

Cheers James
That's trampin on down the road -- respect.
nez

Post by nez »

atlas_shrugged wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 8:39pm I did Ely to Mildenhall and back today. The route was 33 miles there and back. Some wild men in florescents tried to give me a hard time cycling over a bridge because there was apparently some student oaves mucking about in the water and they wanted to have their picture took. Don't they know I am an elite international athlete out training!

I used the brompton that Brucey repaired and sold to me and it has been a fabulous bike. I used it in Munich to get to Landsberg am Lecht and it goes for free on the S-bahn. On Sufolk coast roads it was great. It is perfect for dropping off and picking up cars from the MOT..

I thought about Brucey quite a bit and especially how stuck I would be if anything went wrong with the hub gear!
Trust me, if I can fix the hub gear, anyone can. And I've done it. But I had to follow instructions.
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

Jamesh wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 5:08pm I'm starting this thread about great rides you have risen recently or in the past.... in honour of our expert and freind Brucey. Mechanical mishaps especially welcome.....
Cheers James
Good post :) Think you may be referring to Fleet Moss; unclassified road, assume you were riding north toward Hawes? It is a steep slog in that direction but even steeper in the southerly direction as the (ramped) hill has a final 1:4 section near the top. Great views from the summit for a well earned rest though! Did your chain give any warning that it was about to let go?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Right thanks that's fleet moss ticked off south to north X2 as I did it in June too. Looks a fair bit tougher north to south tbh.

The chain started making a clicking sound which I should not have ignored...then it dumped me on the tarmac!

Cheers James