Best way to book onto a club ride-

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
westofsouth

Best way to book onto a club ride-

Post by westofsouth »

...while numbers continue to be restricted
(this has probably been discussed before...)
My local group simply publishes the leaders email address on the group's (public) Facebook page. Not a good idea imo.
What do others think?
mjr

Re: Best way to book onto a club ride-

Post by mjr »

That's OK, if the leader doesn't mind. I prefer groups that split at the start point. After all, if an unbooked rider turns up, they still need to deal with the situation.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

I'm assuming this is a Cycling UK group? If it's visible to all and the ride leader is happy to publish their email address, then there isn't a problem with it. It isn't the way I'd want to do it, but the requirements are to stay within the permitted numbers and to record the riders and contact information, plus the ride leaders requirement to have done a risk assessment. There's plenty of info on the CUK website, even more available to volunteers via Assemble including a recording of last weeks webinar on the subject. I think those are better sources of information than this forum.
My local CUK MG are offering ride leaders the choice between their own booking system or a Google Form administered by the group, all our rides are published on the website, leaders can publicise them in any other way they wish, including facebook.
If it's not a CUK group, then it's either informal and the rule of six still applies, or they need to be run under the guidance of the body the group belong to.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Our sister club has the text the leader method, number on their club website.
We have on line booking via our club website (required some web work), which allows for 5 bookings (ride leader is 6th), plus scope for a waiting list, if a booked person drops out (cancels their booking), someone on the waiting list gets the free space.
As we have demand for more than 6, we advertise a 2nd group (same route, starts 1/2 hr later), even a 3rd group.
You need to log onto the website to make the booking. It helps that our website is written by one of our menbers, so things can be adjusted as needed on the website.
The advantage of the online booking is the booked names are kept on the website (still need to log in to see this), so it acts as a test and trace record if we need to contact people about Covid contacts.
We have an (outdoor) coffee stop - somewhere with a choice of venues to avoid crowding etc - so we stick with groups of 6, because once you stop, groups of 6 apply, even if you had the upper limit of 15 riding in the group.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

westofsouth wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 9:54amMy local group simply publishes the leaders email address on the group's (public) Facebook page. Not a good idea imo.
What do you see as the problems with that?

Thanks

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

PT1029 wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 11:05amso it acts as a test and trace record if we need to contact people about Covid contacts.
If a group is ordinarily doing things that would result in the whole ride group being regarded as close contacts, then it's not following CUK guidance, is it?

I think most things that would result in being regarded as close contacts should result in an incident report being made.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Syd

Post by Syd »

My running club uses the Team app ( not to be confused with Teams from Microsoft).

Runs, or rides in your case, are added to the calendar and people book on by a single, one button, press. Contact details are already preregistered and the app acts an an attendance list.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

PT1029 wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 11:05am Our sister club has the text the leader method, number on their club website.
We have on line booking via our club website (required some web work), which allows for 5 bookings (ride leader is 6th), plus scope for a waiting list, if a booked person drops out (cancels their booking), someone on the waiting list gets the free space.
As we have demand for more than 6, we advertise a 2nd group (same route, starts 1/2 hr later), even a 3rd group.
You need to log onto the website to make the booking. It helps that our website is written by one of our menbers, so things can be adjusted as needed on the website.
The advantage of the online booking is the booked names are kept on the website (still need to log in to see this), so it acts as a test and trace record if we need to contact people about Covid contacts.
We have an (outdoor) coffee stop - somewhere with a choice of venues to avoid crowding etc - so we stick with groups of 6, because once you stop, groups of 6 apply, even if you had the upper limit of 15 riding in the group.
We do something similar, but less sophisticated! (I think it's a google form thingy that write to a google spreadsheet, which only a few of us can see).

There is no limit to how many can register for a day's ride (although we split it by slow/fast), but there is a "Willing to lead?" tick-box; one poor chap looks at the sign-ups when they close and tries to recruit enough leaders for the groups of 6.

It works OK. As with all things, the flaw is human nature - people drop out, usually at the last minute. So ride leaders can end up with a group of 3-4 on the day. Very hard to prevent.
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 11:36am
PT1029 wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 11:05amso it acts as a test and trace record if we need to contact people about Covid contacts.
If a group is ordinarily doing things that would result in the whole ride group being regarded as close contacts, then it's not following CUK guidance, is it?
I think most things that would result in being regarded as close contacts should result in an incident report being made.
it's a requirement to keep a register of the riders and their contact details. That's not specific to Cycling UK, I believe applies to all organised activities.
As for what constitutes contact, I don't think anyone precisely knows. The guidance is there to greatly reduce the likelihood of transmission, I didn't think anyone believed it eliminated it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 1:41pm it's a requirement to keep a register of the riders and their contact details. That's not specific to Cycling UK, I believe applies to all organised activities.
That's as maybe, but it should not be needed for contact tracing if other guidelines are being followed. CUK's published guidance is nonsense on this aspect (along with a few others), and that is being used by some affiliated group leaders to justify ignoring the whole shebang. It would be great if some sensible CUK group drew their attention to the inconsistency.
As for what constitutes contact, I don't think anyone precisely knows. The guidance is there to greatly reduce the likelihood of transmission, I didn't think anyone believed it eliminated it.
Close contact is basically within 1m for 15min, according to https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... for-public

As far as I know, there have been no identified cases yet of outdoor transmission at that distance when other basic precautions are taken (including symptomatic people staying away), so it seems as close as can be to eliminated if guidelines are followed.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

You can set up an Event on Facebook, people can then click “Going”, it shows who’s going and gives an idea of numbers. The group can then be split into sub groups if necessary to comply with restricted numbers. People can also be notified which group they are in via the comments.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com