Any tips for London to Brighton?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
horizon

Re: Any tips for London to Brighton?

Post by horizon »

Paradiddle wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 5:11pm
mjr wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 12:17pm The BHF one is for masochists who want to go over a clanking great hill (Ditchling Beacon) just before the end instead of using route 20 / former route 20 through Pyecombe pass with the railway and A23.
I don't mind the climb. Maybe I am a bit of a masochist :wink:
I'll keep in mind the alternative route nonetheless. Might feel different on the day :roll:

Edit: Having looked up the A23 and Pyecombe, I think I'd rather have a bit of a climb on the quieter roads rather than be on flatter A roads. Unless I'm not looking up the right route.
Mick F wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 3:16pm Ditchling Beacon?
Is that worth writing home about?
It's only got one chevron according to OS.
What is the climb over what distance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ditchling_Beacon

How far is L to B?
L to B is about 52-60 miles (85-100km) depending where you start from in London.
Looks like that Ditchling Beacon climb is about 150m climb over 1.6km. A part of it has a 20% incline.
Last year I did a route from London Bridge via Croydon, Turner's Hill, Haywards Heath and then Ditchling and the beacon. I found it fine but there were roads with traffic that not everyone would like. The previous year I did Pyecombe but really disliked it and had a difficulty with access coming from Clayton (though I cannot remember exactly what).

I was carrying a 25 kg camping load (full up weight incl bike 40 kg) so I took my time and walked up the beacon. lt was worth it for the views (and the ride down of course!).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

PS I wouldn't recommend Church Road to by-pass Woldingham!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Paradiddle

Post by Paradiddle »

horizon wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 10:31pm Last year I did a route from London Bridge via Croydon, Turner's Hill, Haywards Heath and then Ditchling and the beacon. I found it fine but there were roads with traffic that not everyone would like. The previous year I did Pyecombe but really disliked it and had a difficulty with access coming from Clayton (though I cannot remember exactly what).

I was carrying a 25 kg camping load (full up weight incl bike 40 kg) so I took my time and walked up the beacon. lt was worth it for the views (and the ride down of course!).
That's useful to know. We'll be going via Mitcham side instead of Croydon but at the moment the rest of the route will be similar to that. I think we will be sticking to the Ditchling Beacon route for the views.

Slightly different topic but anyone know if I can purchase train tickets at the station from Brighton to London? Haven't taken the trains in a while. Last time I did we had to book in advance due to covid rules.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Some years ago I rode an audax out of Hayes - I was surprised how soon we got out into reasonably quiet roads.
About three years ago I rode an audax starting in Uckfield and going north to Orpington.
Return was over Ide hill and over the Ashdown and back to Uckfield - that was pretty well part of the route we took in 1955 - more traffic of course - there are plenty of OK routes.
The Beacon is not too bad - start slow and don't let yourself get into the red. It can be busy.
We used the main road into Brighton in 1955 - can't recommend that today.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Paradiddle wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 9:06am Slightly different topic but anyone know if I can purchase train tickets at the station from Brighton to London? Haven't taken the trains in a while. Last time I did we had to book in advance due to covid rules.
https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/coron ... our-travel says Thameslink and Southern do not do reservations, even now, but they ask you to buy online (their web shop sells tickets which can be loaded into any passbook or PDF app for scanning) and avoid busy trains (they have a loading predictor). I would suggest using Thameslink which are slower and slightly less comfortable seats but generally bigger Siemens Desiro City trains with big bike symbols and straps to hold them against the wall.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paradiddle

Post by Paradiddle »

mjr wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 10:12am https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/coron ... our-travel says Thameslink and Southern do not do reservations, even now, but they ask you to buy online (their web shop sells tickets which can be loaded into any passbook or PDF app for scanning) and avoid busy trains (they have a loading predictor). I would suggest using Thameslink which are slower and slightly less comfortable seats but generally bigger Siemens Desiro City trains with big bike symbols and straps to hold them against the wall.
Excellent. Thanks! I may use the trainline app to get the ticket on the day as I have no idea what time we'll arrive in Brighton.

Looks like all the direct trains to London Bridge/Blackfriars are all the Thameslink but will make sure as well.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Paradiddle wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 10:31am Looks like all the direct trains to London Bridge/Blackfriars are all the Thameslink but will make sure as well.
Yes, the Southerns run to Victoria. Trainline is ok on the day but charges if bought in advance. I just buy from the web and download to PassAndroid.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

ANTONISH wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 9:32am Some years ago I rode an audax out of Hayes - I was surprised how soon we got out into reasonably quiet roads.
About three years ago I rode an audax starting in Uckfield and going north to Orpington.
Return was over Ide hill and over the Ashdown and back to Uckfield - that was pretty well part of the route we took in 1955 - more traffic of course - there are plenty of OK routes.
The Beacon is not too bad - start slow and don't let yourself get into the red. It can be busy.
We used the main road into Brighton in 1955 - can't recommend that today.
Yes from Hayes you're on Layhams Rd in no time and onto country lanes. If you look at the route I posted that's the way I chose to ride out. I think it's a much nicer crossing of the North downs through Kent rather than than going out via Croydon / Purley in Surrey where there is a lot more traffic. I did come back via Purley and Croydon just to vary the route back.
xjs

Post by xjs »

iandusud wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 7:51pm I would agree with those who advise against the BHF route for the same reasons. The last time I rode to Brighton and back from London this is the route I used starting in Forest Hill.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/5297245
Ian
Good route out. A meetup at Brockwell Park in Brixton/Herne Hill might be better than Clapham Common if leaving London via West Wickham.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Paradiddle wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 9:06am Slightly different topic but anyone know if I can purchase train tickets at the station from Brighton to London? Haven't taken the trains in a while. Last time I did we had to book in advance due to covid rules.
Where was this? I'm not aware of any of the TOCs that operate solely in the SE requiring reservations at any time.
Paradiddle wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 10:31am
mjr wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 10:12am https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/coron ... our-travel says Thameslink and Southern do not do reservations, even now, but they ask you to buy online (their web shop sells tickets which can be loaded into any passbook or PDF app for scanning) and avoid busy trains (they have a loading predictor). I would suggest using Thameslink which are slower and slightly less comfortable seats but generally bigger Siemens Desiro City trains with big bike symbols and straps to hold them against the wall.
Excellent. Thanks! I may use the trainline app to get the ticket on the day as I have no idea what time we'll arrive in Brighton.

Looks like all the direct trains to London Bridge/Blackfriars are all the Thameslink but will make sure as well.
I suggest you delete the Trainline app and never use it again. Trainline charge fees that you have no reason to pay. They are also rather disingenuous in their advertising.

There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to purchase a ticket on arrival at the station. Use a TVM if you want.
Paradiddle

Post by Paradiddle »

bungle73 wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 1:59pm
Where was this? I'm not aware of any of the TOCs that operate solely in the SE requiring reservations at any time.
It was London to Edinburgh last September. Could've remembered wrong or misunderstood but I think it needed to be an advanced booking rather than seat reservation. We got an open return ticket and didn't have seat reservations on the journey back.
bungle73 wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 1:59pm I suggest you delete the Trainline app and never use it again. Trainline charge fees that you have no reason to pay. They are also rather disingenuous in their advertising.

There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to purchase a ticket on arrival at the station. Use a TVM if you want.
I'll try to purchase the ticket at the station first. I don't personally have a problem with trainline as I used it for work travel quite extensively before but I haven't really used them recently so can't really comment. However will look out for those points you've raised.

Thanks all for the helpful tips and bits of advice. Rather excited to go on that ride to Brighton tomorrow :mrgreen:
Hope it'll go well and will try to remember to report back.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Paradiddle wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 10:03pm
bungle73 wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 1:59pm
It was London to Edinburgh last September. Could've remembered wrong or misunderstood but I think it needed to be an advanced booking rather than seat reservation. We got an open return ticket and didn't have seat reservations on the journey back.
bungle73 wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 1:59pm I suggest you delete the Trainline app and never use it again. Trainline charge fees that you have no reason to pay. They are also rather disingenuous in their advertising.

I'll try to purchase the ticket at the station first. I don't personally have a problem with trainline as I used it for work travel quite extensively before but I haven't really used them recently so can't really comment. However will look out for those points you've raised.

Thanks all for the helpful tips and bits of advice. Rather excited to go on that ride to Brighton tomorrow :mrgreen:
Hope it'll go well and will try to remember to report back.
Yeah, LNER have been one of the few TOCs that have been requiring them. How that fits into the terms of the NRCoC I'm not sure.
mjr

Post by mjr »

bungle73 wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 1:59pm There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to purchase a ticket on arrival at the station. Use a TVM if you want.
Passengers are asked to buy online to avoid causing queues and touching the vending machine screens unnecessarily. Thameslink are one that sells standard PDF and Passbk ticket codes by download and email from their website. App use is not required.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

mjr wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 8:54am
bungle73 wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 1:59pm There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to purchase a ticket on arrival at the station. Use a TVM if you want.
Passengers are asked to buy online to avoid causing queues and touching the vending machine screens unnecessarily. Thameslink are one that sells standard PDF and Passbk ticket codes by download and email from their website. App use is not required.
You mean the type of ticket where you're stuffed if your phone stops working?

What queues are there going to be at Brighton station on a weekend afternoon/evening? Are we really so paranoid that we obsess over TVM screens (that get cleaned regularly anyway), and when we're just about to get on train where it's pretty much impossible to avoid touching things anyway?

I turned up at London Bridge a few Saturdays ago and bought the ticket I needed from the TVM - no queues.

Obviously the op can do as they wish, but if it were me I'd just but a ticket in the normal way when I got there.
mjr

Post by mjr »

bungle73 wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 2:16pm
mjr wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 8:54am
You mean the type of ticket where you're stuffed if your phone stops working?
No, you can print it or download it to multiple devices if you like. This is not the accursed "m tickets" that only work in one app at a time and so on.

I'm just saying what we're asked to do, but do as you like. Lick all the station. See if I care.