Scared a cyclist on the road today, my fault

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Paradiddle

Re: Scared a cyclist on the road today, my fault

Post by Paradiddle »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 9:13am it's very possible that you both decided to signal and manoeuvre at the same time!
If the car driver was to hesitate within a short period of time other cars would've appeared on the road maybe.
Then the situation would be a lot more complicated with other cars in the mix.
That sounds very likely. I don't think anyone was really at fault here. As long as the OP gave ample space then the cyclist would be able to react accordingly.

This happened to me earlier this week in East London. I was in the secondary road position and checked that a van was behind me. I gave a right signal ahead of time to move into the primary position and eventually turn right. Almost immediately the van overtook me, almost hitting my arm :evil:
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

beanboyyy wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 9:09am PWas also just going to ask everyone, when you're being overtaken can you generally hear it, and furthermore has this kind of thing happened to anyone else?
If it helps a couple of weekend ago, I was that cyclist. I've gotten a bit lazy, as there as less traffic on the road, and coming up was my junction on the right... I was fairly well in the middle of the road at the time and threw out my right arm, almost knocking a racing cyclist from his mount as he overtook me... I guess I got used to listening for cars, but having recently heard an electric car, I can't be that lazy any more. I'm going to have to remember to do my life saver check in the future. Whilst I'm annoyed with myself for allowing it to happen, in a funny sort of way I'm also grateful for the gentle reminder. I feel abit sorry for the guy who overtook me... I reckon I surprised the hell out of him.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
cycle tramp wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 10:10pm
beanboyyy wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 9:09am PWas also just going to ask everyone, when you're being overtaken can you generally hear it, and furthermore has this kind of thing happened to anyone else?
If it helps a couple of weekend ago, I was that cyclist. I've gotten a bit lazy, as there as less traffic on the road, and coming up was my junction on the right... I was fairly well in the middle of the road at the time and threw out my right arm, almost knocking a racing cyclist from his mount as he overtook me... I guess I got used to listening for cars, but having recently heard an electric car, I can't be that lazy any more. I'm going to have to remember to do my life saver check in the future. Whilst I'm annoyed with myself for allowing it to happen, in a funny sort of way I'm also grateful for the gentle reminder. I feel abit sorry for the guy who overtook me... I reckon I surprised the hell out of him.
I was in a quite lane with hedges, I only heard the hybrid (probably running on electric) when it appeared from behind the hedge (a gap in hedge where I was next to a field gate) and all I heard was the tyres!
This will make all of us safety check.
I still look both ways crossing road on foot especially roundabouts with in and exit separate lanes, people sometimes go the wrong way off roundabouts and up one way roads.
A roundabout near where I live .......................50 yards from a dual carriage way roundabout, cars come onto the second roundabout at silly speeds and you know they don't always indicate either.....hearing is good but eyes are better.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I've been startled by an overtake a few times when I had wind noise in my ear, or something else has been noisy in the area, such as a tractor in a nearby field.

I have acquired a habit of looking over my shoulder when someone overtakes because the sound of one overtaking vehicle often disguises the sound of following vehicles.

Also, can I remind others that not all cyclists have full hearing capability. They may be deaf or hard of hearing.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I can barely hear anything when cycling due to wind noise, don't know whether it's my helmet, my helmet straps, or my sticking out ears or a combination of all three. One time I went out for a quick ride and forgot my helmet I was alerted to the fact it wasn't on my head due to things sounding different.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I suppose this is where a neat reversing type camera might be a useful, not beyond technology to come up with a small screen fitted to the bars?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Thing is if you do get knocked off you may not remember what happened or anything about it. If you get knocked out you generally lose a portion of time before the event so you won't remember how you ended up at the side of the road with double vision. I think the only thing that circumvents this is an action camera.
I am here. Where are you?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Cowsham wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 8:37pm Thing is if you do get knocked off you may not remember what happened or anything about it. If you get knocked out you generally lose a portion of time before the event so you won't remember how you ended up at the side of the road with double vision. I think the only thing that circumvents this is an action camera.
Agreed!
A action cam is whats needed back and front.
Can you buy a 360 cam at all compact to fit on a bike?