Scared a cyclist on the road today, my fault

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
beanboyyy

Re: Scared a cyclist on the road today, my fault

Post by beanboyyy »

I would say that regardless of how far away the junction was i still had time to brake and therefore the situation was still my fault
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If everybody were to reflect on what they might have done better, rather than concentrating on what somebody else should have done, we might all be safer.

IMO a dashcam or equivalent is a useful tool for this type of thing.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

tatanab wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 10:12am The rider really should have LOOKED BEHIND BEFORE SIGNALLING.
Interesting.

Not sure what rules or guidance there is on this, but I would always signal first, which allows vehicles contemplating an overtake to hold back then check, then move out.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 10:43am
tatanab wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 10:12am The rider really should have LOOKED BEHIND BEFORE SIGNALLING.
Interesting.

Not sure what rules or guidance there is on this, but I would always signal first, which allows vehicles contemplating an overtake to hold back then check, then move out.
Here's the HC with my emphasis
Rule 67 (For cyclists)

You should

look all around before
moving away from the kerb, turning or manoeuvring, to make sure it is safe to do so. Give a clear signal to show other road users what you intend to do (see ‘Signals to other road users’)
PS Having slipped into my flame-resistant togs I'll quote John Franklin
Look before you signal or move

When you are cycling, you should always look behind you before you signal a movement (etc)
Cyclecraft p75
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

without seeing a video of the situation it is very difficult to make any judgement or criticism

Interesting your comment about the road positioning of the cyclist

some cyclists are very poor in that they stay close to the left, suddenly stick their arm out and then start to move across the full width of the road. Road positioning is key to staying safe, cyclists should be in a position on the road that is obvious they may be going to turn right long before the signal.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The HC under "Road users requiring extra care" has this:-
Rule 212

When passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room (see Rules 162 to 167). If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

thirdcrank wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 10:52am
Interesting.

Here's the HC with my emphasis
Rule 67 (For cyclists)

You should

look all around before
moving away from the kerb, turning or manoeuvring, to make sure it is safe to do so. Give a clear signal to show other road users what you intend to do (see ‘Signals to other road users’)
PS Having slipped into my flame-resistant togs I'll quote John Franklin
Look before you signal or move

When you are cycling, you should always look behind you before you signal a movement (etc)
Cyclecraft p75
Haha! Don't worry, I've no intention of having an argument.

I find signaling first gives a much better chance that motorists aren't doing something stupid when I do check.

But I shall consider the sage advice offered in future, too.

Thank you.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Interesting.

You look first to check that the gap is viable.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

tatanab wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 11:30am
Interesting.

You look first to check that the gap is viable.
Gap between what?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 11:32am Gap between what?
???? The space you want to move into. The distance between you and the next vehicle, which is of course dependent on closing speed. In heavy traffic you might be looking for a room to move a couple of vehicles back.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

tatanab wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 11:38am
roubaixtuesday wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 11:32am Gap between what?
???? The space you want to move into. The distance between you and the next vehicle, which is of course dependent on closing speed. In heavy traffic you might be looking for a room to move a couple of vehicles back.

Sorry, you've lost me here.

The space I want to move into is alongside me, so I don't need to look behind for that.

Often there's a continuous or near continuous line of traffic behind. There's no way I can see how it's possible to look for spaces "a couple of vehicles back".

I do

1.Signal
2. Check behind that traffic has acted on the signal, isn't attempting an overtake.
3. Manoevre.

But I see the guidance helpfully posted above and I'll leave things at that.

Thanks for coming back.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Motorcycles a right turn look over shoulder called life saver.
For the very reason
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

whatever vehicle you are in or on from an artic to a bicycle you need to know that no one else is about to move into the space you are intending to move into, you can't just stick your arm out or indicators on then change lanes etc. You have to look first. Most other road users will make room for you but you have to give them a chance, not just barge out at a seconds notice.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I'm not sure the OP did anything wrong - as said earlier, without seeing it is difficult to tell. The only advice I would give is that "things can change quickly" Although a junction may be a long way off, what happens if a car comes out of the road on the right (as an example) and heads towards you as you overtake?
A couple of years ago I had a scare..... country lane and I was aware of a car behind, only about 10 yards from a RH joining road and he decided to try and get past me- I saw a car just about to emerge from the junction and sprinted. Overtaking driver slammed on his brakes and just missed my rear wheel (I think it was that close, certainly felt like it!). As he went past 50 yards further I tried to make eye contact - he clearly decided to 'stare straight ahead' as he didn't want to acknowledge me.
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

I say well done to the OP for putting his hands up and saying he believed he was in the wrong. Not many people will do that.
Steve