LIFE SAVER

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ben@Forest

Re: LIFE SAVER

Post by Ben@Forest »

Another unfortunate cycling affectation is mirrored glasses. I've done Bikeability training (and did cycling proficiency years ago) and under current guidance:

Eye Contact- helps make sure people have seen you, and informs people that you are alert and in control of the situation.

But mirrored glasses gives less or even no indication of what the cyclist is thinking. Eye contact means a lot when looking behind or that 'who's moving first' ritual at a busy roundabout or crossroads. It's easier to engage with with pedestrians and determining what they/you are about to do. It's a shame a desire to look like Geraint Thomas has led to a plethora of mirrored lenses.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Even with clear glass one really can not communicate better than with mirrored glass

Better in any case IMHO not to make direct eye contact, keeps them wary one hopes, do not trust them!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 8:52amBetter in any case IMHO not to make direct eye contact, keeps them wary one hopes, do not trust them!
This is directly against the advice of many trainers. It's very interesting that the wording has changed from deliberately keeping them guessing. We should all be wary.

I think that it's dangerous advice. And that anyone considering following it should look for more reliable sources, as cited above.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

eileithyia wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 7:54amIf I do see a cyclist looking back it gives me some indication that they are about to do something, even if they then don't bother signalling.
It can also convey "I know that you're there". This can be helpful.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

iandusud wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 6:35am
thirdcrank wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 1:39pm I'm pretty sure that when I'm driving I get a decent view by using the mirrors.
I have many times, when about to change lanes to the outside on a motorway, spotted a vehicle overtaking me when checking over my shoulder, that wasn't visible in my door mirror. I don't know it it is the case on all cars but I think there is blind spot where an overtaking vehicle is no longer visible in the door mirror but no within peripheral vision.
Yes.

There's a gotcha in this forum where if you say "car's blind spot" someone says "it isn't the car's, it's the driver's" and vice versa.

Putting that to one side I'd add that there's a complexity beyond static blind spots... that's the zone which another road user might be about to occupy where you haven't seen them taking into account where you were looking when and their movement. I've mentioned motorbikes... small, fast and high transverse motion. I also ride recumbents... low. And I sometimes drive a very low car. That lowness interacts badly with high-waisted "cars".

If anyone isn't familiar with this I suggest sitting in a low car or on a 'bent behind a high-waisted SUV and checking how far back you have to be to appear in their mirrors.

Jonathan
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 8:52am Even with clear glass one really can not communicate better than with mirrored glass
I'd thoroughly disagree with this. I frequently turn around to see who's behind me when approaching very bad pot holes on the left or something like a traffic island on the right and want to drift into the centre of the lane (l don't want to be squeezed and overtaken where the traffic island is).

Sometimes, with a good look behind l can see drivers are understanding my intention even without a brief stab of the arm to indicate a move out. And that's because we can both see each others' eyes (unless of course the driver's wearing mirrored specs!)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Disagree again :wink:
Often one can see enough using the mirror, no need to turn the head. Keep a distance, do not try to form a 'relationship', and NEVER trust a morton! Treat them as one would a wild animal, do not make eye contact!

Background: one makes eye contact, they stop. But move off again before one is clear. NEVER trust them!
Perhaps those who think one may trust a driver could explain why they think so
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 25 Apr 2021, 10:16am, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Ben@Forest wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 8:16am Another unfortunate cycling affectation is mirrored glasses. I've done Bikeability training (and did cycling proficiency years ago) and under current guidance:

Eye Contact- helps make sure people have seen you, and informs people that you are alert and in control of the situation.
Well, that's stupid. If I had a pound for every motorist to look me directly in the eye and then still cause unnecessary conflict (and I am no shrinking violet and often have a camera running), I would have more bikes!

Why are they letting mirrored-glass cyclist haters write Bikeability guidance?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I drive and I trust myself to drive safely, with respect and consideration for all other road users. I doubt I am alone.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Do you trust others, in particular do you trust drivers when you are cycling?
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

thirdcrank wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 1:54pm The equivalent thing in a car is for the trainee to provide a running commentary

"Watch the cyclist Geoffrey"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wZxcdM3KGo
Ah the good old commentary ..... I remember it well from my advanced driving courses :D
Luckily I didn't have Hyacinth as an instructor or examiner :lol:
Steve
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 11:04am Do you trust others, in particular do you trust drivers when you are cycling?
It's not necessarily trust it's about establishing trust. And it's not all about drivers of cars or larger vehicles; it can be about other cyclists, horse riders, joggers, pedestrians. And frankly being able to look any of those road users in the eye is better than that blank, mirrored 'what are they looking at?' feeling.

In this country your car windscreen and front windows must have less than 75% tint, this basically precludes having a mirror tint that obscures the driver/front passenger. And if it was made legal cyclists and cycling organisations would, l think, protest very strongly. Would you want to turn round in the saddle and see nothing of the driver behind you?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I prefer them to be unsure whether I have seen them, unsure what I shall do