LIFE SAVER

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grumpy-Grandad

LIFE SAVER

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

Years ago I used to teach people to ride motorcycles and the first thing I drummed into them ..... and kept reinforcing it ..... was the necessity of looking over the shoulder just before turning right ..... the 'life saver' shoulder check.
The reason for it being called the life saver should be obvious.

I'm amazed how often I'm seeing pedal cyclists turn right without even glancing behind :( ..... absolutle madness.
Steve
Jdsk

Re: LIFE SAVER

Post by Jdsk »

Yes.

And illustrates one of the many advantages of being familiar with as many different types of things on roads as possible. You learn new skills and you understand what others are likely to do.

And of course nonhumanpowered vehicles are about to get a lot quieter...

Jonathan
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Cyclist, motor cyclist, as a result I check behind (the appropriate side) when I change direction when walking through a shopping centre, and certainly check both ways before stepping out of a shop entrance.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Most Bikeability instructors teach the 'life saver'. It is a requirement in Bikeability to look over the right shoulder before turning, though I am not familiar with how the current instruction guidelines address this.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

As a lifelong motorcyclist, cyclist and car driver (although I no longer own a car) I have always looked over my right shoulder before turning right or moving over to the right, to pass a parked vehicle for example. This is just as important in a car as on two wheels.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

iandusud wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 1:33pmThis is just as important in a car as on two wheels.
Yes. And I flinch when being driven by others who don't do it.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm pretty sure that when I'm driving I get a decent view by using the mirrors.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, lots of drivers think and say the same.

The added value of the shoulder check obviously varies with the setting, but it's often very hard to be sure that you aren't about to occupy the same space as a motorbike. And blind spots are getting bigger with fatter pillars.

And some recumbents are very low.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This has come up before and I don't want to labour the point. IMO this has a lot to do with motorcycling instructors wanting trainee riders to demonstrate they are checking behind. The equivalent thing in a car is for the trainee to provide a running commentary

"Watch the cyclist Geoffrey"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wZxcdM3KGo
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Yes, a last minute shoulder check is a sensible thing to do - particularly when starting from stationary so you can afford to turn round without it affecting your steering. But "life saver" is rather over the top - since most of the hazards you need to pay attention to are in front of you. Being overtaken while you are sitting waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic is known to happen, but extremely rarely - not least because of the very absence of a gap in oncoming traffic that you are waiting for.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

thirdcrank wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 1:39pm I'm pretty sure that when I'm driving I get a decent view by using the mirrors.
Indeed so - you see much more than you can by looking back out of the window.
Unless you are stationary (moving out from parking) or reversing then trying to look directly behind is a very bad idea. You have to twist your body - and this will have knock-on effects to your hands & feet effecting steering and speed control. Also it means you are not looking where you are going for rather too long.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

thirdcrank wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 1:39pm I'm pretty sure that when I'm driving I get a decent view by using the mirrors.
I have many times, when about to change lanes to the outside on a motorway, spotted a vehicle overtaking me when checking over my shoulder, that wasn't visible in my door mirror. I don't know it it is the case on all cars but I think there is blind spot where an overtaking vehicle is no longer visible in the door mirror but no within peripheral vision.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 1:36pm
iandusud wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 1:33pmThis is just as important in a car as on two wheels.
Yes. And I flinch when being driven by others who don't do it.

Jonathan
Yes, me too!
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Grumpy-Grandad wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 12:46pmI'm amazed how often I'm seeing pedal cyclists turn right without even glancing behind :( ..... absolutle madness.
Frankly this is normal, most cyclists, from kids on BMXs to yummy mummys on Pashley sit-up and begs to well-versed club riders don't look behind themselves enough.

With a cyclist in front of them and especially in an urban setting many car drivers prepare to 'expect the unexpected' anyway. And it's a good job.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Indeed I was taught and use the life saver, and maybe if the cyclist had been doing it in another post, a motorist might not have come on here apologising for his actions.

If I do see a cyclist looking back it gives me some indication that they are about to do something, even if they then don't bother signalling.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells