Deliberate Close Passing /Assault and now just too scared to ride to work.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ClappedOut

Re: Deliberate Close Passing /Assault and now just too scared to ride to work.

Post by ClappedOut »

Back in the day motorcycle clubs would regularly kick cars and take wing mirrors off, a memorable trip to the Ace Cafe one of the less friendly group took off 11 mirrors/glasses.

While I don’t advocate above -I do believe ABC “Actions Become Consequences”

You can’t educate pork or win an argument with stupid- they will beat you with experience.

But you can hit them where it hurts- the pocket.

My pet trick in works van when numpties refuse to follow the Highway Code and try barging through- hazards on and get out and start walking away 10 steps the farthest I got with “ not my van mate office can collect it.

Riding a bicycle I act the same way as fundamentally most drivers won’t damage the car they can’t afford the final balloon payment on- my right of way I’m coming through or a bonnet mascot and a personal injury claim, loss of earnings.

Ratty old bangers you may want to consider if wise to do above
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

Hi Tim, im pretty sure every cyclist is furious after reading about your awful experience. Sadly it happens all too often.

Its very clear that cycling is a big part of your life so why should one idiot force you to do differently? I appreciate that, given the cyclist is the more vunerable of the 2 road users, this is probably easier said than done.

Full kudos to you for having your camera running and you reporting it to the police. Im no expert and have had no personal experience but there have been several close pass videos that have resulted in points and fine posted to youtube (if you do post on youtube only do this after prosecution as it could compromise things).

Do keep us posted on what happens with the police.

Respect

Chris
Last edited by Chris56 on 24 Apr 2021, 9:28am, edited 1 time in total.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Get it to the police, but don't put it on Youtube, as that isn't a good move (if trying to get Police action).. In the fullness of time, if Police won't take action, then post it wherever.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

You might try riding a tricycle.
Those who do report that motorists
" hang back in amazement and usually overtake on the far side of the white lines" (Tony Oliver, Touring Bikes).
An expensive experiment, I realise.

A cheaper alternative I have employed when I was repeatedly close passed by a Subaru Impreza was to GOB over my right shoulder when I heard the idiot approaching. Motorists generally don't like snot all over their windscreen.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I was thinking you could write to the local paper, address the other motorists to say they have the idiots to thank for the fact that there will now be even more cars on the road in their way. They may hate cyclists but I don't think they consider the fact that if they scare cyclists off the roads, they may be replaced with more cars.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

cycle tramp wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 9:12pm
Cyril Haearn wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 7:23pm Fact is, this sort of terror is common and can happen at any time, best to concede defeat and stop cycling on the road
Better to live one day as a Lion than a hundred years as a sheep. I think I will continue to cycle on the road.

(I am over 14 stone in wieght, 6 foot tall, heavily tattooed, 23 inches across the shoulders and a beard in which small mice have played. I am a hard person to terrorize).
I have had a badger hiding in mine, so keep yersel oot of the way :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A streetview of the location might be helpful
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Pebble wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 12:16pm
Cyril Haearn wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 7:23pm Fact is, this sort of terror is common and can happen at any time, best to concede defeat and stop cycling on the road
Better to live one day as a Lion than a hundred years as a sheep. I think I will continue to cycle on the road.

(I am over 14 stone in wieght, 6 foot tall, heavily tattooed, 23 inches across the shoulders and a beard in which small mice have played. I am a hard person to terrorize).
Yeah but do you have a tattoo and a propensity to measure your body parts for no logical reason?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Do you really think that is helpful?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

I am suitably chasied and hope your badger smuggling enterprise goes well. I will say now more for fear of alerting the Dairy Industry
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 1:16pm
Do you mean using the word 'terror'? It is the word to describe what one often feels when cycling, driving, walking. Sorry, what "Cyril" feels, maybe others are braver than I. Yes, I think the word is appropriate. Often fear of terror causes me to wait where I actually have priority, fear of fear is a thing, not just for me. Not so much a problem, just acceptance of reality, so one is *+&€@ careful

Or if you mean, my advice to give up cycling on the road? I have stopped cycling on the road, much too scared to do that

'Helpful'? Factual!

Others may be braver than I, or may be able to suggest other words. The OP wrote 'just too scared', his family want him to avoid cycling, sounds like 'terror' to me
Fear [terror?] of motor danger is considered a main reason for not cycling
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 25 Apr 2021, 12:45pm, edited 6 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

pete75 wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 1:05pm

Yeah but do you have a tattoo and a propensity to measure your body parts for no logical reason?
All measurements were taken for the 2021 census questionnaire. These questions were never asked. I have included the information on this thread incase I forget it in the future.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 1:57pm
Vorpal wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 1:16pm
Do you mean using the word 'terror'? It is the word to describe what one often feels when cycling, driving, walking. Sorry, what "Cyril" feels, maybe others are braver than I. Yes, I think the word is appropriate

Or if you mean, my advice to give up cycling on the road? I have stopped cycling on the road, much too scared to do that

'Helpful'? Factual!

Others may be braver than I, or may be able to suggest other words
It isn't helpful and it isn't factual. Cycling on roads is much better for your health than not cycling.

Jonathan
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 2:05pm
Vorpal wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 1:16pm Do you really think that is helpful?
Do you mean using the word 'terror'? It is the word to describe what one often feels when cycling, driving, walking. Sorry, what "Cyril" feels, maybe others are braver than I. Yes, I think the word is appropriate
'Helpful'? Factual!
It isn't helpful and it isn't factual. Cycling on roads is much better for your health than not cycling.
Jonathan
It is also,in general,much safer than CH is making out.CH's response is a bit extreme and if that's how he feels then perhaps cycling is not for him(her?).
Having said that this does happen and will continue to happen as the punishment is too low and rarely applied anyway.Sometimes,as mentioned above,taking the law into your own hands is the only thing that these people will understand.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 1:29pm
Jdsk wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 2:05pm
'Helpful'? Factual!
Jonathan
It is also,in general,much safer than CH is making out.CH's response is a bit extreme and if that's how he feels then perhaps cycling is not for him(her?).
Having said that this does happen and will continue to happen as the punishment is too low and rarely applied anyway.Sometimes,as mentioned above,taking the law into your own hands is the only thing that these people will understand.

I’m sure Cyril never says anything extreme, un-helpful, or factually incorrect...
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.