Is it the lycra?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mattsccm

Re: Is it the lycra?

Post by mattsccm »

If anything I would say the opposite. pootling to the pub in civvies gets me more grief than pushing on when out for a century.
awavey

Post by awavey »

I get treated to way more close passes in sporty cyclist mode than I do in popping to the pub/shops casual mode, as others have said that maybe more to do with association with being seen in sporty mode as a more competent bike handler than anything related to the material the clothing is made from, since my pub/shops casual mode stuff has invariably got some lycra in it,its just less form hugging normally :)

but I have witnessed male riders fon the receiving end of verbal abuse for wearing lycra,not just being sporty cyclists or even cyclists, just that their kit was made of lycra, so its definitely a thing that triggers some people, and those some people also drive cars & vans, so there might well be a link there to some of it.
Lazycarton

Post by Lazycarton »

simonineaston wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 8:23pm
Is it the lycra? Or curly handlebars?
It's neither. It's just the plain, dumb, inept, uncaring, air-bag-cocooned, entitled uselessness of the average UK car driver *.
There are too many arrogant and aggressive road users regardless of the type or mode of transport.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

I seem to get more close passes when I'm in normal clothes riding to the shops on my utility bike. It might be that when I'm riding the road bike with my lycra gear on I'm faster and therefore not holding the traffic up for so long, and therefore may be not perceived as an object to get around as soon as possible.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Time of day I find makes a bigger difference, commuting peaks tend to be better and daytime/weekends tend to be worse, both a mix of aggressive idiots and careless driving by what are clearly infrequent and inexperienced drivers.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Is someone out there going to ride in tweeds, cap and plus fours to test out the safety aspect?
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

simonineaston wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 8:23pmAnd as battery vehicles grow in numbers, we won't even get the advanced warning of their nasty, noisy, smelly, polluting internal combustion engines coming up behind...
Er, "battery vehicles" don't have internal combustion engines. That's the point. However, the warning noise, or lack of, shouldn't be an issue in the future:

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/owning/d ... reversing.

I think I saw, and heard, one of these a while ago, when I saw a newish Nissan Leaf making far more noise, at low speed, than my friend's hybrid Auris does when it's just using battery power.

And as has been stated, once beyond a certain speed, tyre and wind noise becomes more significant.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mikeymo wrote: 3 May 2021, 5:11pm
simonineaston wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 8:23pmAnd as battery vehicles grow in numbers, we won't even get the advanced warning of their nasty, noisy, smelly, polluting internal combustion engines coming up behind...
Er, "battery vehicles" don't have internal combustion engines. That's the point.
The original post ran:
simonineaston wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 8:23pmIt's just the plain, dumb, inept, uncaring, air-bag-cocooned, entitled uselessness of the average UK car driver *. As far as most of them are concerned, we're invisible. And as battery vehicles grow in numbers, we won't even get the advanced warning of their nasty, noisy, smelly, polluting internal combustion engines coming up behind...
Or am I just having a bad day??
* ...and I should know - I'm one of them.
I think that their in their nasty, noisy, smelly, polluting internal combustion engines referred to the drivers. It's only the truncation that made it look as if it referred to the vehicles.

Jonathan
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Jdsk wrote: 3 May 2021, 5:16pm
mikeymo wrote: 3 May 2021, 5:11pm
Er, "battery vehicles" don't have internal combustion engines. That's the point.
The original post ran:
simonineaston wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 8:23pmIt's just the plain, dumb, inept, uncaring, air-bag-cocooned, entitled uselessness of the average UK car driver *. As far as most of them are concerned, we're invisible. And as battery vehicles grow in numbers, we won't even get the advanced warning of their nasty, noisy, smelly, polluting internal combustion engines coming up behind...
Or am I just having a bad day??
* ...and I should know - I'm one of them.
I think that their in their nasty, noisy, smelly, polluting internal combustion engines referred to the drivers. It's only the truncation that made it look as if it referred to the vehicles.

Jonathan
I see. Thank you for explaining somebody else's post.
David2504

Post by David2504 »

This thread gives more insight into thinking of forum members than it does motorists
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

:lol:
David2504 wrote: 16 May 2021, 7:28pm This thread gives more insight into thinking of forum members than it does motorists
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

The problem with Lycra;
I'ts so bloody comfortable !
For my day to day work I dress in polo shirt, safety boots and jeans, i wear Lycra running briefs from Decathlon as underwear.
All my underwear is lycra, supportive, self wicking and super comfortable ....
My wife wear's Lycra and lace undies ....
Whats not to like about Lycra !!!
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

David2504 wrote: 16 May 2021, 7:28pm This thread gives more insight into thinking of forum members than it does motorists
Not particularly related to this thread, but I recently wrote:
Jdsk wrote: 11 May 2021, 4:26pm
I was just saying to my cycling buddy here in the Borders that we must be pretty lucky, we get the occasional close pass and a rare ignorant driver but attitudes to cyclists from drivers seems nowhere as bad as in some areas of the country! Maybe because of the small population a higher number of drivers cycle themselves or know someone who does?
Agreed. The problems others identify are not my experience, thankfully. I tend to meet only friendliness and courtesy.
I suspect that most of the variation described in this forum isn't regional but reflects the sensitivity of the reporter.
Jonathan
drossall

Post by drossall »

It's often been suggested that some drivers see lycra as denoting an experienced cyclist, who therefore does not need the kinds of precaution when overtaking etc. that the Highway Code requires for cyclists in general.