Is it the lycra?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
cycle tramp

Is it the lycra?

Post by cycle tramp »

Is it the lycra? Or curly handlebars?

I cycle on a converted mountain bike, and dress in shirt, jumper and tailored shorts..... whilst I am subject to incidents of the occasional bad driving it is down to bad judgement rather than malice.... do you think that perhaps certain road users hate lycra or curly handlebars?
ClappedOut

Re: Is it the lycra?

Post by ClappedOut »

My take on it is most motorists have a negative association with fast focused road bikes v families, teens and workers etc riding non road bikes.

I believe the faster pace and Clothing stereotypes play a part along with faster cycling and still slow for motorists so harder to pass.

I acknowledge all cyclists, but if your riding a decent road bike you can go first as 90% of road bike focused riders look down at mere mortals Riding a bicycle. Mamils are prime for this :lol:

I’m happy to take my time passing as try to work out the bike being ridden.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I think it depends upon which part of the country you are cycling in , here in the Scottish Borders I don't think I have had a angry/road rage type driver incident, most issues are poor or thoughtless driving. The majority of drivers are not aggressive towards cyclists, but to be fair we don't have any really busy roads compared to many other parts of the UK.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

ClappedOut wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 2:13am

I acknowledge all cyclists, but if your riding a decent road bike you can go first as 90% of road bike focused riders look down at mere mortals Riding a bicycle. Mamils are prime for this :lol:

My experience of late as a slow and elderly cyclist riding a bike with full mudguards is that I mainly get a wave or a greeting from "roadies".
Often all I get from groups of "tourists" is a stony stare - even more so in the summer when I am on a road bike and have changed into a slow "roadie".
Could it be that "roadies" are perceived to be unfriendly and are therefore considered unworthy of a greeting?
Lycra I believe is to give elasticity and is only about 3% of road cycling apparel content - it is used in many garments that are not cycling related.
Anyway everyone passes through middle age and many road cyclists will become "mamils" at some stage - I'm waiting for an acronym for an old git in lycra.
I'll greet anyone on a bike, on a horse or on foot.
I don't think one can usually categorise.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

ANTONISH wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 9:42am
ClappedOut wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 2:13am

My experience of late as a slow and elderly cyclist riding a bike with full mudguards is that I mainly get a wave or a greeting from "roadies".
Often all I get from groups of "tourists" is a stony stare - even more so in the summer when I am on a road bike and have changed into a slow "roadie".
Could it be that "roadies" are perceived to be unfriendly and are therefore considered unworthy of a greeting?
Lycra I believe is to give elasticity and is only about 3% of road cycling apparel content - it is used in many garments that are not cycling related.
Anyway everyone passes through middle age and many road cyclists will become "mamils" at some stage - I'm waiting for an acronym for an old git in lycra.
I'll greet anyone on a bike, on a horse or on foot.
I don't think one can usually categorise.
Not wearing lycra as I always think of plus sized women in primark cheap Leggings =hidious if your not a rake.

My bike currently has mudguards a luggage rack and a basket as son likes to be difficult in what drink he wants so taking a carton of juice or two etc
Bogcc.co.uk could answer the old git question :P
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Not an acronym but I've always been amused by the term "Vampire" for those who persist in dressing inappropriately. I'm sure most of the wits on here will make the connection.
Seems most appropriate for some of the sights inflictedon us by certain of the lycra brigade.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

philsknees wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 10:03am Not an acronym but I've always been amused by the term "Vampire" for those who persist in dressing inappropriately. I'm sure most of the wits on here will make the connection.
Seems most appropriate for some of the sights inflictedon us by certain of the lycra brigade.
Well I don't think it's only cyclists who make unfortunate choices of dress. I don't know what the "Lycra brigade" is - I wear modern cycling clothing which works well on the bike - in the past it was wool shorts with real chamois and wool jerseys - which was ok as well.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I thought tribalism in cycling was mainly between cyclists and drivers , I was oblivious to the mtb, road, lycra, helmet and other divisions that appear on these forums.
Human nature he! :lol:
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

ANTONISH wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 9:42am - I'm waiting for an acronym for an old git in lycra.
It's already been done (by a forum members wife) who decided that her husband was too old to be a MAMIL and should now be called a Pensioner In Lycra On Carbon :wink:
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

cycle tramp wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 9:18pmdo you think that perhaps certain road users hate lycra or curly handlebars?
How can they see the lycra in my colourful socks and underwear? Why would they hate curly North Road handlebars or the rod brake style handlebars that their granny used to use?
peetee

Post by peetee »

I have thought about this many times over the years and, based on my own experiences I would say that motorists tend to judge your competence on a bike by what you are wearing. Lycra clad and streamlined suggests skilled and less likely to wobble so a close pass means it’s unlikely their car will be scratched.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Inevitable natural progression - MAMIL becomes OMIL
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Grandad wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 6:49pm Inevitable natural progression - MAMIL becomes OMIL
Some may remember that originally MAMIL was Middle Aged Men in Leather (born again motorcyclists), now Lycra. so perhaps the natural progression is Middle Aged Men in Lingerie.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Is it the lycra? Or curly handlebars?
It's neither. It's just the plain, dumb, inept, uncaring, air-bag-cocooned, entitled uselessness of the average UK car driver *. As far as most of them are concerned, we're invisible. And as battery vehicles grow in numbers, we won't even get the advanced warning of their nasty, noisy, smelly, polluting internal combustion engines coming up behind...
Or am I just having a bad day??
* ...and I should know - I'm one of them.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

simonineaston wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 8:23pmAnd as battery vehicles grow in numbers, we won't even get the advanced warning of their nasty, noisy, smelly, polluting internal combustion engines coming up behind...
Around town that is probably true, but out on the open road thesound is dominated by tyre noise and wind noise. I have been passed by 100% electric vehicles at speed so i know there is no appreciable difference versus a modern, quietish, engine.