Cattle grids on cycle paths

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ChrisF

Cattle grids on cycle paths

Post by ChrisF »

grid.jpg
Not quite 'on the road', but 'on the cyclepath'. Can anyone explain the purpose of these? There are several on NCN65, northwest of York. The grid spacings are (imho) too wide to cycle safely across, especially if wet. I can see no evidence of any animals that may want to cross.

I found similar on NCN7 just south of Carlsile, but in this case there weren't even gates. The markings on the path definitely suggested that the grids were the 'cycling' bit of the shared path.

I'm confused!
Chris F, Cornwall
Mike Sales

Re: Cattle grids on cycle paths

Post by Mike Sales »

I know of a cattle grid on a hill. The bars slow you down so that when it is wet it is a little tricky to maintain speed and distribute weight to keep steerage. I find it a fun problem of technique.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Plenty of cattle grids round here, most often on hilly roads some are a lot tougher than others, in the dry keep up a decent speed, stay straight and lift off the saddle. If wet slow down a bit!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Best to slow down always, they can be very 'hazardous'
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Looks pretty normal to me. Can,t see any issues at all. At least it isn,t on some Welsh 25% hill.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 2 May 2021, 9:15pm Best to slow down always, they can be very 'hazardous'
No: not always. Sometimes speed enables you to get over them safely.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Better to slow down, one never knows if the rails are slippery
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
RickH

Post by RickH »

There's one on the Burton Marshes path north west of Chester. Someone has helpfully Streetviewed it. There is a gate to bypass it but we have never done so.

Cycling across it is a non-event in my view. Hopefully we'll get to ride that way again soon now that travel across the Welsh border is allowed.
Streetview screen grab (click to enlarge)
Streetview screen grab (click to enlarge)
(links to streetview location & map location)

Sheep are grazed in the area & it is, I presume, aimed at keeping the sheep off the boardwalk section & beyond.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I have seen a sheep use a stone on a grid as a stepping stone to cross .
He's that most dangerous of creatures, a clever sheep
gaz

Post by gaz »

ChrisF wrote: 2 May 2021, 8:35pm... The grid spacings are (imho) too wide to cycle safely across, especially if wet. I can see no evidence of any animals that may want to cross. ...
The grid should be to the relevant BS and may/may not have an anti-slip coating.

Land use changes over time, it's possible sheep or cattle were grazed in the area when the grid was placed but no longer are. Alternatively it may be that sheep or cattle are sometimes moved along or across the path and the grids are a precaution against losing any that may stray.

I can think of one not too far away that is a single grid at one end of a track, I don't recall a kissing gate arrangement on its bypass. The only purpose I can see that it serves is to restrict equestrian access.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 2 May 2021, 9:58pm I have seen a sheep use a stone on a grid as a stepping stone to cross .
Did it slow down?

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 2 May 2021, 10:44pm
Mike Sales wrote: 2 May 2021, 9:58pm I have seen a sheep use a stone on a grid as a stepping stone to cross .
Did it slow down?

Jonathan
It took it on the run.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

If uncertain you can always get off and walk over.
There were a couple on the main road near Coniston that had round tubes for the grid. Absolutely lethal in the wet even for cars or motorbikes.
Noticed that they have now been replaced with a flat bar version thank goodness.

When I was mountain biking in the Lake District I witnessed a sheep completely clear a "cattle" grid. The second following sheep didn't quite make it. :roll: :)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

cycleruk wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:47am
There were a couple on the main road near Coniston that had round tubes for the grid. Absolutely lethal in the wet even for cars or motorbikes.
Noticed that they have now been replaced with a flat bar version thank goodness.

When I was mountain biking in the Lake District I witnessed a sheep completely clear a "cattle" grid. The second following sheep didn't quite make it. :roll: :)
The nasty, sloping one I mentioned earlier has the round tubes.
I seem to remember hearing that some sheep had developed the trick of rolling over a grid. (Why are they always called cattle grids ?).
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

There are some on the Festival Way just south of Bristol but those are at points where there is field access. Restricting equestrian use is another possibility, as someone suggested above.

As for technique, I agree the round bars are nastier than the flat ones, but in both cases you need a little bit of speed to avoid it being too bumpy. About 15mph is right, I reckon.