Another assault.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Another assault.

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Lincolnshire Wolds.
https://road.cc/content/news/lincolnshi ... kn4jinnpzk
It's not just confined to towns a cities :x
*Edit*
Please don't refer to the victims comments re helmets.This thread is not a helmet debate!
Last edited by Ride-sleep-repeat on 3 May 2021, 2:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeymo

Re: Another assault.

Post by mikeymo »

(yes, it didn't them take long, did it?)

"Attack" or "attempted murder" might be a better title.
Ride-sleep-repeat

mikeymo wrote: 3 May 2021, 2:44pm "Attack" or "attempted murder" might be a better title.
Worrying.
I cycle in Lincs but a bit further South.Lots of very quiet roads where being badly hurt in an attack like this could go unnoticed until too late!
There are also lots of youths on un-plated(ie knicked) mopeds riding around here.The threat of copy-cat incidents isn't far from my mind :|
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I had something like this happen to me about 15 yrs ago- three youths on an old Honda 90.
I was pushed in the back and came off the road - fortunately I was able to stay upright - strangely the police were interested and I had a house call about 20 mins after reporting it.
It was common then for car passengers to do it - one of my acquaintances had his handlebars grabbed - he woke up in hospital with severe facial injuries.
PH

Post by PH »

Glad the rider isn't more seriously hurt. They seem convinced about what happened - a 40mph moped rider kicked them on a bend while they were doing 20mph. Obviously I wasn't there, but doesn't that seem a bit unlikely to anyone?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Seems very possible and plausible
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ride-sleep-repeat

PH wrote: 3 May 2021, 5:49pm Glad the rider isn't more seriously hurt. They seem convinced about what happened - a 40mph moped rider kicked them on a bend while they were doing 20mph. Obviously I wasn't there, but doesn't that seem a bit unlikely to anyone?
Could be an exaggeration.
A road-legal 'Moped' is restricted to 30mph.From a rider doing 20mph the perception of the speed of someone overtaking is easily mistaken.Are you asking if the cyclist made it all up or if his perception of the mopeds speed is wrong?
Whatever the mopeds speed if it happened it's wrong,dangerous and illegal.
It states a couple of witness vehicles have given statements.It will be interesting to hear the outcome.
PH

Post by PH »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 3 May 2021, 5:57pm Are you asking if the cyclist made it all up or if his perception of the mopeds speed is wrong?
I'm certainly not suggesting the rider made anything up, rather that their perception of what happened might not be accurate.
You try kicking something with a 20mph speed difference, whilst riding round a bend, that's a considerable impact for the moped rider as well. The moped rider didn't stop to offer their own account, which is obviously wrong in itself, but both the action and motive may not be as reported.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Thankfully we haven’t experience of such things and lack of footage seems an issue, is there an affordable camera solution as all I have seen seem quite bulky or look daft with go pro on a helmet etc.

Wondered about some sort of bullet cam under saddle or those 360 degree cameras, but never seen them used in person.