Active cyclist protective driving?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Airsporter1st

Re: Active cyclist protective driving?

Post by Airsporter1st »

So in asking “Was I wrong?”, I guess you were actually looking for approval, rather than a conflicting viewpoint. Apologies for the misundertanding.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Airsporter1st wrote: 6 May 2021, 1:11pm The only concern I have about taking such action as described by the OP, is regarding judgement. Who is to say that his judgement of relative speeds, road width/position etc., is accurate?
What happens if he makes such a judgement call and deliberately blocks a manoeuvre by another, when in fact there was otherwise ample room for that manoeuvre? It could all end badly for no good reason.
In the situation described, the OP is talking about staying in his lane whilst there is an oncoming cyclist with a motorist behind the cyclist that looks like he/she is preparing to overtake of the cyclist. There cannot be ample room for a safe overtake if it relies on the OP to make room in his lane for the oncoming motorist - it is a contradiction in terms. This has nothing to do with the OP's judgement of the situation and everything to do with the other motorist's judgement. The OP is talking about not facilitating a bad judgement by the other motorist.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Airsporter1st wrote: 6 May 2021, 3:39pm So in asking “Was I wrong?”, I guess you were actually looking for approval, rather than a conflicting viewpoint. Apologies for the misundertanding.
Thank you for the apology.
Barks

Post by Barks »

We have a quite wide 30mph road in my town with grass verges both sides - in my experience a high proportion exceed that speed limit and a significant few go well over it. But the worst is that if you drive at the limit then very often drivers come very close behind, clearly trying to intimidate, and some them will overtake and speed off into the distance. There are a number of side roads and occasionally when I see a car approaching quickly from the rear I indicate to turn right but then abort as the turn comes up and carry on straight ahead. I realise I might risk antagonising an idiot but as I am perfectly allowed to change my mind as long as I don’t create havoc then I feel reasonably justified in my token efforts towards road safety.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Barks wrote: 9 May 2021, 11:58am We have a quite wide 30mph road in my town with grass verges both sides - in my experience a high proportion exceed that speed limit and a significant few go well over it. But the worst is that if you drive at the limit then very often drivers come very close behind, clearly trying to intimidate, and some them will overtake and speed off into the distance. There are a number of side roads and occasionally when I see a car approaching quickly from the rear I indicate to turn right but then abort as the turn comes up and carry on straight ahead. I realise I might risk antagonising an idiot but as I am perfectly allowed to change my mind as long as I don’t create havoc then I feel reasonably justified in my token efforts towards road safety.
I expect that many drivers adhering to the speed limit experience "tailgating".
You should not attempt to police other drivers - try to ignore the tailgating morons, if they want to exceed the speed limit let them suffer the consequences-you are right in not letting them bully you into speeding.
However taking the action you describe will only antagonise them and may have dangerous consequences.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One could try indicating but not turning, weaving a bit, flashing the brake lights.. But most drivers are so stupid, they do not 'think' of sacrificing a few seconds but move closer and try to squeeze by
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The police and organisations such as IAM and RAC generally advise that when someone is following too closely, the best thing to do is slow down gradually, and make sure that you leave extra braking room to the car in front.

Slowing down does two things. It reduces the stopping distance for you & the car behind. It also makes it easier for the tailgater to overtake, if that is their intention.

That doesn't mean creating an obstruction; just reducing speed so that the distance to the car behind is appropriate.

Highways England are trialling cameras that detect tailgating on the M1 https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motori ... 0installed.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A typical driver may 'calculate' that she has a better chance of overtaking a vehicle that is going slower
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 10 May 2021, 9:32am One could try indicating but not turning, weaving a bit, flashing the brake lights.
This is very bad advice, and could endanger other road users.
Vorpal wrote: 10 May 2021, 9:34am
The police and organisations such as IAM and RAC generally advise that when someone is following too closely, the best thing to do is slow down gradually, and make sure that you leave extra braking room to the car in front.
Exactly. And, of course, on relevant roads move to the leftmost lane.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ANTONISH wrote: 10 May 2021, 9:02am
Barks wrote: 9 May 2021, 11:58am We have a quite wide 30mph road in my town with grass verges both sides - in my experience a high proportion exceed that speed limit and a significant few go well over it. But the worst is that if you drive at the limit then very often drivers come very close behind, clearly trying to intimidate, and some them will overtake and speed off into the distance. There are a number of side roads and occasionally when I see a car approaching quickly from the rear I indicate to turn right but then abort as the turn comes up and carry on straight ahead. I realise I might risk antagonising an idiot but as I am perfectly allowed to change my mind as long as I don’t create havoc then I feel reasonably justified in my token efforts towards road safety.
I expect that many drivers adhering to the speed limit experience "tailgating".
You should not attempt to police other drivers - try to ignore the tailgating morons, if they want to exceed the speed limit let them suffer the consequences-you are right in not letting them bully you into speeding.
However taking the action you describe will only antagonise them and may have dangerous consequences.
Yes.

Jonathan
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Vorpal wrote: 10 May 2021, 9:34am The police and organisations such as IAM and RAC generally advise that when someone is following too closely, the best thing to do is slow down gradually, and make sure that you leave extra braking room to the car in front.

Slowing down does two things. It reduces the stopping distance for you & the car behind. It also makes it easier for the tailgater to overtake, if that is their intention.

That doesn't mean creating an obstruction; just reducing speed so that the distance to the car behind is appropriate.

Highways England are trialling cameras that detect tailgating on the M1 https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motori ... 0installed.
Indeed I will always reduce speed a little whilst being tailgated, in addition to the above, accidents are usually less serious the slower you are going and as being tailgated has the potential to cause an accident it is worth going a little slower and getting them past at the first opportunity.

Same story for the OP, if you can see the likelihood of some sort of accident / conflict occurring, then drive slower and focus on what your actions should be if the car coming in the other direction starts to overtake the cyclist. I alwys think playing at being some sort of road commander is more likely to cause conflict and danger.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Pebble wrote: 10 May 2021, 10:40am
Vorpal wrote: 10 May 2021, 9:34am The police and organisations such as IAM and RAC generally advise that when someone is following too closely, the best thing to do is slow down gradually, and make sure that you leave extra braking room to the car in front.

Indeed I will always reduce speed a little whilst being tailgated, in addition to the above, accidents are usually less serious the slower you are going and as being tailgated has the potential to cause an accident it is worth going a little slower and getting them past at the first opportunity.

Same story for the OP, if you can see the likelihood of some sort of accident / conflict occurring, then drive slower and focus on what your actions should be if the car coming in the other direction starts to overtake the cyclist. I alwys think playing at being some sort of road commander is more likely to cause conflict and danger.
I think it depends on the circumstances - if the tailgater has no possibility of overtaking the reaction to someone deliberately slowing down may produce a violent reaction.
I've experienced blaring horns and flashing lights merely by adhering to the speed limit.
millimole

Post by millimole »

ANTONISH wrote: I've experienced blaring horns and flashing lights merely by adhering to the speed limit.
I wonder if this a regional issue?
Since I've had cars with speed limiters and been able to accurately keep to limits I've never had this type of behaviour directed towards myself on anything other than motorways.
I'm in the East Midlands.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

millimole wrote: 10 May 2021, 3:19pm
ANTONISH wrote: I've experienced blaring horns and flashing lights merely by adhering to the speed limit.
I wonder if this a regional issue?
Since I've had cars with speed limiters and been able to accurately keep to limits I've never had this type of behaviour directed towards myself on anything other than motorways.
I'm in the East Midlands.
I'd say not, I suspect what type of car your driving has an effect, people seem a lot less tolerant of some types of car getting in their way than others

If I'm bubbling a long in a Nissan micra( hire car) I'm far more likely to get such a reaction than in a range rover with blacked out windows, I suspect they think I might get out and shoot them at the next traffic lights and my " builder van" gets a free pass but my Peugeot estate is an absolute magnet for them, old mans car it seems.

I've had people not at all infrequently follow me off the road into car parks, so insensed are they at me doing 40 in a 60 limit to,,, Well I'm not sure what their intention was, when I jump out and they see how big I am, they tend to change their mind

I also notice I get a lot less hassle on a mountain bike dressed in combats and a,shaved head, than I on a road bike, particularly if I have a helmet and cycling gear on, to be honest I think the helmet is the defining factor
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

ANTONISH wrote: 10 May 2021, 12:36pm
Pebble wrote: 10 May 2021, 10:40am

I think it depends on the circumstances - if the tailgater has no possibility of overtaking the reaction to someone deliberately slowing down may produce a violent reaction.
I've experienced blaring horns and flashing lights merely by adhering to the speed limit.
'deliberately slowing down' conjures up images of brake testing which really would be a stupid thing to do. I would word it more like 'decide to drive a little slower' I wouldn't be braking , just gradually reduce my speed form lets say 55 to 45.
It is a difficult one, yes it may annoy them further but if I was feeling endangered then I would rather be driving slower, also travelling slower would allow me to devote a bit more of my concentration to what they are doing, I want to be aware the moment the overtake begins.