Active cyclist protective driving?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bmblbzzz

Re: Active cyclist protective driving?

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Barks wrote: 9 May 2021, 11:58am We have a quite wide 30mph road in my town with grass verges both sides - in my experience a high proportion exceed that speed limit and a significant few go well over it. But the worst is that if you drive at the limit then very often drivers come very close behind, clearly trying to intimidate, and some them will overtake and speed off into the distance. There are a number of side roads and occasionally when I see a car approaching quickly from the rear I indicate to turn right but then abort as the turn comes up and carry on straight ahead. I realise I might risk antagonising an idiot but as I am perfectly allowed to change my mind as long as I don’t create havoc then I feel reasonably justified in my token efforts towards road safety.
The obvious risk is that someone waiting to pull out from the left will see your indication and assume you won't be reaching them. But I expect you're aware of that.
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

I have front and rear dash cams in my car.
I have submitted videos to the Police in relation to tailgaters and there have been two successful prosecutions ..... one guy in a 30mph so close as to be dangerous ...... and an HGV on the motorway in 50mph limit roadworks .... again, so close as to be dangerous.
Steve
Red Kite

Post by Red Kite »

I don't have a problem with closing a gap (in good time) that might induce a dangerous overtake of a cyclist. You'd have to be there to criticise it, and it's slightly akin to a cyclist "taking the lane" himself for the same reason.

By the same token, when I can see an oncoming driver is already committed to a close pass, I'll get over to the left as far as I can in the hope he'll give the bike a bit more space.

There's definitely a body language for cars. It's rare when following that I don't foresee an indicator coming on for a turn, and I can't be the only one. It's a clear sign in my mind that most drivers don't think at all about assisting other road users with signals. Nearly all put the signal on at the same time as they brake, a few wait until they are actually turning.
Cube Touring Hybrid One e-bike, Brompton P6R with Swytch conversion