Fed-up with slow fix of potholes?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
simonineaston

Fed-up with slow fix of potholes?

Post by simonineaston »

Cunning plan and spray-can action does the job... see news article here.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
VinceLedge

Re: Fed-up with slow fix of potholes?

Post by VinceLedge »

Here in the Borders you would use up a full can of spray paint on every ride!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There was publicity recently for a JCB machine that is claimed to do the entire job in minutes.

https://www.jcb.com/en-gb/products/whee ... potholepro
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

In Norfolk the Highways dept spray the holes themselves, then don't repair them for months :( I send them regular notes pointing out the paint doesn't resolve the issue.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

thirdcrank wrote: 7 May 2021, 9:30am There was publicity recently for a JCB machine that is claimed to do the entire job in minutes.

https://www.jcb.com/en-gb/products/whee ... potholepro
It would make more sense for councils to buy these and repair the roads quickly. Here in Lincolnshire, they appear to have a policy of complete a poor repair, then fix again when it opens up because it wasn't completed properly. I remember a few years ago a trial was undertaken with a similar machine from Europe it seemed to go well but I didn't hear anything else again...

http://www.spaldingvoice.co.uk/lincolns ... ine-trial/
and here
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... conds.html

The only place that I've seen roads this bad was in Iowa in the States (I guess the cold winters are worse than here).
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

At least they seem to fix yours , here in my part of Shropshire they often do not fix them at all , there are 4 ways out of my village and 3 are unridable on a road bike. I have done everything including writing to my MP yet they still do nothing. They have been like that for at least 3 years. The tories cut the road mending budget by 25 percent a few days before the new financial year but for some reason people keep voting them back into power. They were in a terrible state before these cuts , many Third world countries have better roads https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/pol ... a-quarter/
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

DaveGos wrote: 9 May 2021, 10:10pm At least they seem to fix yours , here in my part of Shropshire they often do not fix them at all , there are 4 ways out of my village and 3 are unridable on a road bike. I have done everything including writing to my MP yet they still do nothing. They have been like that for at least 3 years. The tories cut the road mending budget by 25 percent a few days before the new financial year but for some reason people keep voting them back into power. They were in a terrible state before these cuts , many Third world countries have better roads https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/pol ... a-quarter/
I've noticed more and more not getting repaired for weeks here as well. The money is an issue but fix cheap is fix twice etc.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Well I fixed my Brompton front tyre after hitting a pothole, taking a flyer and breaking my arm 7 weeks ago. This week I'm only just feeling that my arm is good enough to ride a bike again. I was on a privately owned industrial estate and was fortunate it was only a very simple and stable break. Oh and only a split inner tube. I replaced it with the only 16" inner tube I could find for a kids bike as 1.75-2.25" tyre. This has the racer tyres with an inner tube 2/3rds the width of the one I had to replace it with. It's gone in and pumped up. I'll see tomorrow am whether it's ok no and no puncture installing it.

I assume an inner tube too wide for your tyres will be ok if you install them without pinching.

Anyway round here the local council seems pretty good at fixing potholes after being reported. The owners of the industrial estate has run it down for years but after their last planning application for putting houses up on it failed they're giving that up and planning on doing this estate up as a mixed use light industrial estate. Including £35 million development apparently. Roads will get moved or repaired as part of that. Until then I need to n watch myself. Brompton bikes don't handle potholes as well as 700 wheel.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Was cycling on a very minor road and getting irritated with the wee stones from the patches getting stuck on my tyres and ringing all over the place, it was so newly patched we caught up with the crew doing the patching!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Who thinks that they detected more repairs than usual in the run-up to the local elections?

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Rode my brommie for the first time in 7 weeks following a pothole based accident. Apart from my arm hurting where I broke it I noticed that I was a very slow cyclist. I was actually a little scared at every little or large pothole or other dodgy surface issue. I have about 12 minutes to get into work from the station? Usually the train is on time and I make it b with 5 minutes to spare. Or I did in the week I used my new Brompton before my accident. Today it was 3 minutes late and I was exactly three minutes late. That means instead of 7 minutes travel from the station to work I took a full 12 minutes. I walk it in 14 or 15 minutes?

How bad is that? Potholes have made me cycle almost at my walking pace!!! I'm starting to think I should just use my full sized bike as I think it would ride over most of the stuff and I'm more stable / in control on it too. Most days I think I'd be ok on the bike. Anyway I'll see what the rest of the week brings me. Perhaps confidence will return.
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

Our parish councillor joined the monster raving loony party recently to get more publicity to fix 3 very bad potholes routes out of the village, it got him on radio Shropshire but we dont seem to be able to get anybody to fix these potholes despite YEARS of campaigning , the next village managed to get on Midlands Today a couple of years ago and they came along and sprayed tar and chippings over the potholes of the said road. Democratic system locally seems to of broken down , nobody standing for some seats , Tory leader of Shropshire Council lost his seat but there are so many Tory councillors it will not make any difference , all 5 mps for the county are Tory and they have just cut road repair budget by 25 percent. Why do people keep voting them in
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

Tangled Metal wrote: 10 May 2021, 9:32pm Rode my brommie for the first time in 7 weeks following a pothole based accident. Apart from my arm hurting where I broke it I noticed that I was a very slow cyclist. I was actually a little scared at every little or large pothole or other dodgy surface issue. I have about 12 minutes to get into work from the station? Usually the train is on time and I make it b with 5 minutes to spare. Or I did in the week I used my new Brompton before my accident. Today it was 3 minutes late and I was exactly three minutes late. That means instead of 7 minutes travel from the station to work I took a full 12 minutes. I walk it in 14 or 15 minutes?

How bad is that? Potholes have made me cycle almost at my walking pace!!! I'm starting to think I should just use my full sized bike as I think it would ride over most of the stuff and I'm more stable / in control on it too. Most days I think I'd be ok on the bike. Anyway I'll see what the rest of the week brings me. Perhaps confidence will return.
It has to be serious pot hole to knock you off a bike, rather than just dental damage, but yes, silly little wheels dont help. I bash my bikes up and down 7 in Kerbs with out to much difficulty, 7 in pot holes are few and far between
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

(Old thread re-activation. Better than starting a duplicate).
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/10/vehicle-breakdowns-due-to-potholes-hit-record-level-in-2023-says-rac wrote:Vehicle breakdowns due to potholes hit record level in 2023, says RAC
The motoring organisation said it received almost 6,000 calls for pothole-related incidents from July to September – its highest total for the relatively benign summer period since it started collecting data in 2006.
Somebody (dual nationality) expressed the state of UK roads well the other day "In australia we drive on the left, in the UK we drive on what's left".

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

And yet still the argument is no more sophisticated than the motoring lobbies demanding more money and oil is poured into the holes in the ground, with rarely any suggestion of making vehicles lighter or banning heavy vehicles from some lanes, so there's less road being worn out less quickly, as well as more safe space for cycling.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.