Assos nether cream

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
nez

Assos nether cream

Post by nez »

My tub of Assos chamois crème tells me it contains ‘artificial beeswax’. I surrender - what’s that?
Jdsk

Re: Assos nether cream

Post by Jdsk »

First you have to make the artificial bees:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoboBee

Jonathan
nez

Post by nez »

It's all clear now.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It's a mixture of other waxes, oils, scents etc that is designed to be a substitute for beeswax, especially in cosmetic preparations.

There is a problem in that one of the reasons to avoid real beeswax is that some people don't want to buy or use animal products. That's a major constraint on the available substitutes, including lanolin.

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Aha! I see - so it's a bit like putting "Vegan" on the label (I'm simplifying grossly here, I know). Interesting.
nez

Post by nez »

I think if myself as quite green. But replacing beeswax with some sort of petroleum distillate is weird. I’d much rather have real beeswax from handreared bees fed on lavender and wildflower fields. At night I would play them Mozart over Hive FM.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

What is Man-made Beeswax and is it an ingredient that you want on your face
Substitute the A-word for face and the answer may be here:-

http://www.debraspence.com/what-is-synthetic-beeswax/
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

nez wrote: 7 May 2021, 3:28pm I think if myself as quite green. But replacing beeswax with some sort of petroleum distillate is weird. I’d much rather have real beeswax from handreared bees fed on lavender and wildflower fields. At night I would play them Mozart over Hive FM.
I admire your good intentions and principles, but that last comment suggests a little detachment from reality. But then you have paid for Assos cremes, while Boots sell stuff for a tenth of the price, so it's to be expected.

Good luck with your bees and your nethers, Sir!
nez

Post by nez »

Thanks. What Boots stuff do you mean? The Sudocreme type stuff? You have to wash your clothes at a temperature to get rid of it. I prefer washing as much as i can as cold as I can. If there’s another which suits I’d be grateful to know. The article thirdcrank points to would give you the willies.*

(*Scare you, for non UK readers)
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I started on Sudocreme, then an old(er) wise audaxing associate reviewed conotrane in the club mag. (also often sold in the babies bots section).

It's a bit cheaper, and much nicer. It doesn't dry to a residue like Sudocreme, and I *believe* it comes off in a cool wash. When I have some on my hand, it's the smell of summer for me now :D

(not sure why you're worried about folks seeing white marks on the inside of your shorts :-/ Is it in case of the hit-by-a-bus scenario my mum used to warn me about?? )

I tried some german stuff once that was probably closer to Assos pricing (endorsed by Kristian Knies?). It WAS very nice, but I'm not convinced the effect was much better. it was full of nice natural products that read like they would do me good; I'd use it again if I ever get it for free again.

Please don't tell me that Conotrane is made from baby bees. Or butterflies. Or pandas ... :-(
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

What Conotrane Cream contains
The active ingredients are benzalkonium chloride 0.1% w/w and dimeticone 22% w/w.
The other ingredients are cetostearyl alcohol, macrogol cetostearyl ether, white soft paraffin, light liquid paraffin, macrogol, potassium dihydrogen orthophosphate, geranium (fragrance) and water.

https://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/uploads/pr ... 0cream.pdf

So no pandas were harmed...

Jonathan

PS: But Sudocrem contains lanolin...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Once upon a time, the chamois in cycling shorts was just that - similar to "wash leather" as used by window cleaners. When it was washed, it went hard. It was necessary to use something to make it soft again. I've never aspired to Assos togs, but down at my price point, imitation chamois doesn't go hard when washed and so, doesn't need anything to make it soft.

Sudocreme etc presumably helps with some types of soreness but isn't otherwise necessary.
nez

Post by nez »

thirdcrank wrote: 7 May 2021, 6:57pm Once upon a time, the chamois in cycling shorts was just that - similar to "wash leather" as used by window cleaners. When it was washed, it went hard. It was necessary to use something to make it soft again. I've never aspired to Assos togs, but down at my price point, imitation chamois doesn't go hard when washed and so, doesn't need anything to make it soft.

Sudocreme etc presumably helps with some types of soreness but isn't otherwise necessary.
I think it depends how far you're riding. Generally I don't use it, sometimes I do. I do remember those real Chamois inserts. Cycle clothing has moved on so much.

Ps added later - much of the time cycling close to home Im wearing corduroy trousers and tee shirts - no assos required!
Last edited by nez on 8 May 2021, 12:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

For long rides - 400k plus - I used drapolene. Not in the shops now but still available on line (not that I will ever get to the bottom :D of my current tubful)