Negligence

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grandad

Re: Negligence

Post by Grandad »

Many years ago the insurance company that I worked for used to ask policyholders who reached 80 to provide a doctor's certificate confirming they were still fit to drive. Some doctors were reluctant to be seen as being responsible for stopping a patient from driving and the company dropped the requests.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

A driver ran into five cyclists on a straight road in broad daylight and killed one. He did not stop for three miles despite significant damage to his car. He says hed did not see them! He was sorry.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north- ... th-2675195

The numberplate eyesight test dates from before the war.
It can be passed by people registered as blind.
(See Well,Drive safely, Association of Optometrists 1988.)
Evidence suggests one in five drivers suffers from low luminance myopia, or night blindness.
(Kirby J. "I didn't see him," Association of Optometrists 1988.)
Voluntary spot checks by the police show that between one and two million motorists cannot pass the current test. (McCaghey G. in Optometry Today 14/3/87)
Taken from "Death on the Streets" by Robert Davis.
Downloadable at https://rdrf.org.uk/death-on-the-street ... ad-safety/
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not suggesting that the number plate test is adequate or appropriate, but it is still the law and a substantial part of it.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

A couple of years ago I was watching one of those Police Patrol type programmes and a Traffic cop,in Gloucestershire IIRC,was called to an accident where the elderly driver had knocked a Horserider off.The driver basically stated he had not seen them.He was sat in the front seat of one Police car and on passing the RBT the cop asked him if he could read the number plate of the Police car parked further up the road.The man replied "I can see a car but I can't tell if it's a Police car or not"!
It was a large Estate,BMW/Volvo etc,covered in the usual Blue and Yellow chequers with the word 'POLICE' in huge letters across the tailgate :shock:
IIRC the elderly driver was banned and had to resit a test.....and get his eyes tested.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

thirdcrank wrote: 8 May 2021, 12:25pm I'm not suggesting that the number plate test is adequate or appropriate, but it is still the law and a substantial part of it.
I did not think that you were suggesting that, just pointing out that it is far from adequate.
Even the having the optical equipment to see is not enough.
Road users need the willingness to look properly, the knowledge of how to react and the willingness to react appropriately.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Seems obvious that legislation is needed, no need for misplaced caution or sympathy with elderly drivers

Could it be thematised in a police series on TV?

Mind, I understand young drivers cause many 'accidents' too :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 8 May 2021, 12:45pmSeems obvious that legislation is needed, no need for misplaced caution or sympathy with elderly drivers
For drivers the legislation is in place:

"Driving eyesight rules"
https://www.gov.uk/driving-eyesight-rules

As usual detection and enforcement are much bigger problems than legislation.

Jonathan
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

Whenever I attended an RTA which involved a vehicle pulling out from a junction (or similar) I carried out a roadside eye test on the driver/rider. The result of the test, or the refusal to take it, was added to my case paperwork.
Many of my colleagues did likewise.

Not sure if its common practise nowadays but it should be.
Steve
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Grumpy-Grandad wrote: 8 May 2021, 1:25pm Whenever I attended an RTA which involved a vehicle pulling out from a junction (or similar) I carried out a roadside eye test on the driver/rider. The result of the test, or the refusal to take it, was added to my case paperwork.
Many of my colleagues did likewise.

Not sure if its common practise nowadays but it should be.
Was this the number plate test?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Hi arnsider.

I think I'll keep an eye out for a cyclist with bad eyesight as I suspect he'll end up in my new neck of the woods. Most local cyclists end up here sooner or later with it being a popular tourist village in our neck of the woods.

There's a bit of a blind spot near the chippy if you're crossing over, very easy for cyclists to appear from round the bend without you seeing them until in the middle of the road. Cars ok but not cyclists. Means your relying on them reacting and taking care. I've seen pedestrians nearly get hit by cyclists a few times already.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Tangled Metal wrote: 8 May 2021, 4:26pm Hi arnsider.

I think I'll keep an eye out for a cyclist with bad eyesight as I suspect he'll end up in my new neck of the woods. Most local cyclists end up here sooner or later with it being a popular tourist village in our neck of the woods.
Are you from Barnard Castle then ?
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I am here. Where are you?
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

One of the most recent rides I did with the person in question involved a descent of the long hill into Brigsteer from Kendal.
He raced to the front of the pack and let go, hell for leather. His faith in his hydraulic brakes is naive.
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

Mike Sales wrote: 8 May 2021, 1:35pm Was this the number plate test?
Indeed it was. No idea what they do nowadays though.
Steve
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We are back to prevention being better than detection. Beyond that, as I've already said, AFAIK there's no regulation of cyclists' eyesight.

I wonder if the rider mentioned by the OP has specs that they don't wear, or simply never goes near an optician.