Bike crash in ford

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NUKe

Re: Bike crash in ford

Post by NUKe »

rcwaterfall wrote: 10 May 2021, 11:50am Recently, two cyclists crashed when riding through the (slippy) village ford. Both were hospitalised, with serious injuries. Has anyone advice as to what our parish council might do to reduce the risk e.g. put up a "Cyclists Dismount" notice by the ford. Roger Waterfall, Marlesford.
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.1722126 ... 312!8i6656
Is this the ford or is there another Marlesford, got to admit the one here I normally ride through slowly unless it is deep. If its this one Check with East Suffolk Council what they recommend, as you are limited in what road signs you can use.
NUKe

Post by squeaker »

Jdsk wrote: 11 May 2021, 3:32pm Found a nice overview:

Powers and Duties of Parish Councils
https://committees.westminster.gov.uk/D ... ls.doc.pdf

Jonathan
Yes, better, and 'interesting' in a few areas eg 'Power to designate statutory to the nature reserves...' and 'Obliged
to keep own land free of litter and dog faces' :shock:
"42"
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

A cyclists dismount sign would be a bad idea. Firstly, I'm not at all sure it would make any legal difference to the parish (or other) council's liability. But more importantly in terms of the big picture, it's the kind of sign that adds to the drip-drip of "cyclists shouldn't do this, shouldn't do that, are supposed to be over there not here".

In terms of this particular ford, it has a depth gauge, the biggest danger is probably the steep sides and people underestimating the current. So a couple of poles at each end to mark the sides would be good.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

http://www.wetroads.co.uk
If you like fords, this is a good resource.
awavey

Post by awavey »

its the one Id assumed, but after the snow its barely rained in Suffolk since till the last week or so,to the point the farmers have been out watering crops in March, so I wasnt sure how the accident happened as theres been no detail in the local press since, and we are all busy making assumptions its the classic water flows across the road leads to algae or pond weed type stuff and they rode across it no doubt like theyve done hundreds of times before, slipped and fell.

but theres a ford I found on a route out towards Hadleigh, first time there was obvious water flowing and greenness on the road,and so I stopped dismounted, but the "walking" route was like scrambling up a bank, perching precariously in cleated shoes on some very narrow and obviously rotting wooden boards that were also just as green and looking potentially slippy, and Im standing there holding my bike off the ground and thinking hold on which is the safest thing to be doing here as now theres a longer way to fall down if I slip, just as an old lady on a classic style bike just rides through the water looking at me as if Im being completely stupid.

second time I rode it, the road was bone dry as the water had dried up, so I just kept on the road.

all of which is a roundabout way of saying so how did these riders really crash in this instance ? because that might be worth understanding before deciding what kind of warning sign is required.
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

thirdcrank wrote: 10 May 2021, 4:35pm R68cfbb186373d806f5f0559ea73d375d.gif
This is all the signage required.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

I've skimmed through the replies to this and l don't think anyone has given the most obvious piece of advice - always freewheel through a ford, don't pedal. The base of a ford is almost always slick with algae and pushing power through the back wheel isn't advisable, especially if you enter the ford freewheeling and start pedalling halfway through to get out.

I don't think I've ever come across a ford which didn't have a pedestrian crossing, though sometimes incredibly narrow, once when touring l had to take the panniers off and carry them across, then push the bike across. Once l've also carried the bike across (no panniers) over stepping stones but the road alternative was only about 300 yards away.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
The trouble is there are many different types of fords aren't there.
Some are simply roads that flood.
Some are proper moorland fords across streams with rock beds.
So you just make a decision as you find them, well freewheeling would be okay if you've got enough speed and are short enough, if you can see the bottom then cycling through slowly even if your pedals go underwater you can shuffle the pedals to get through without getting your feet wet.
The footbridge can be useful but they're not always wide enough are they, as said, And originally they would've been made for pedestrians.
Likewise with moorland fords The stones can be rocks and they're not always flat.
Stand on the stones and push the bike through the water, I did that once in 3 foot of water on a Moorland Ford, The contents of the panniers were wrapped in thick plastic so bike just floated at the back :)

in the case of cars it's obvious that some people haven't got a clue what speed to go through flooded water, they think they will get stuck so they accelerate.
If I was presented with a problem with four wheels I would wade through To test the deepness of the water first, then if you've got half a brain you can decide whether it's too deep or not, that is whether it will flood the engine.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Oh! Come on! Half a brain, never - maybe a few random brain cells!:-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

rcwaterfall wrote: 10 May 2021, 11:50am Recently, two cyclists crashed when riding through the (slippy) village ford. Both were hospitalised, with serious injuries. Has anyone advice as to what our parish council might do to reduce the risk e.g. put up a "Cyclists Dismount" notice by the ford. Roger Waterfall, Marlesford.
I'll say that nothing further need be done.
gaz

Post by gaz »

thirdcrank wrote: 10 May 2021, 4:35pm Image
With a supplementary plate of "Slippery when wet"? :wink:

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

One year the Wild Wales Challenge went through a ford near World's End.
A group of us were treating it in a gingerly fashion when along came a gung ho rider who ploughed into it at speed.
His fall was spectacular.
Most of us managed to snigger quietly.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

gaz wrote: 14 May 2021, 1:25pm
thirdcrank wrote: 10 May 2021, 4:35pm Image
With a supplementary plate of "Slippery when wet"? :wink:
Would probably work well. Brief, to the point, highlights the issue, not "buttock covering", not directed at any particular vehicle, etc.. Not thought of that.

Ian
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

A bit like driving/cycling in floodwater! Buyer beware? It’s always your choice, and entertaining for others. Don’t think there’s any ‘correct’ signage, other than that already mentioned.
ps; just heard that a neighbour has written off his new car by driving in floodwater - sadly it appears that the insurance will pay!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Ben@Forest wrote: 14 May 2021, 9:51am I've skimmed through the replies to this and l don't think anyone has given the most obvious piece of advice - always freewheel through a ford, don't pedal. The base of a ford is almost always slick with algae and pushing power through the back wheel isn't advisable, especially if you enter the ford freewheeling and start pedalling halfway through to get out.

I don't think I've ever come across a ford which didn't have a pedestrian crossing, though sometimes incredibly narrow, once when touring l had to take the panniers off and carry them across, then push the bike across. Once l've also carried the bike across (no panniers) over stepping stones but the road alternative was only about 300 yards away.
ford.png
ford2.png
This one didn't have a pedestrian bridge (although OSM has one marked, it seems) - it was 18" deep and tens of yards across. No chance of freewheelong! Luckily it was a warm day and I had plastic cycling sandals.
Chris F, Cornwall