Bike crash in ford

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mike Sales

Re: Bike crash in ford

Post by Mike Sales »

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/download/file.php?mode=view&id=83142
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/download/file.php?mode=view&id=83142
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

rjb wrote: 10 May 2021, 4:02pm Slippery algae isn't uncommon in fords so users must take care. I came off a couple of times as a teenager getting on and off the Torpoint ferry and soon learnt it was safer to walk unless the tide was high and the ferry was at the top of the slipway. Just had an inspirational moment - they must be called "Slipways" for a reason. :lol:
No problem with this one at Malmsmead in Doone country.

2003 Exmoor Malmsmead.jpg
I recently used a number of ferries in Argyll. Was wearing trainers, not shoes with clips, and was surprised how slippery the slipways were...
(more nominative determinism, I guess).
This was merely pushing, rather than cycling, my lightly loaded steed.
I've often cycled (thoughtlessly) through fords, but will be more circumspect in future.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If you ever make your way to Sidmouth and decide on easterly direction, Mill St.-
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.68207 ... 312!8i6656

Dont!
Go further on to Salcombe road, straight on up Salcombe Hill Road.................

Peak Hill is steep and dangerous on the decent but the former mentioned road is steeper and shorter.

The ford is well, if its shallow not difficult but getting out the other side going either direction could prove nasty.
I decided to risk it on 23 mm tyres it was not deep but the off camber and green slime was not noticeable till you get there.
I wheel span then came to a halt, put my foot down and did not slip :)
Its nice hard concrete.

Malmsmead farm in the background up thread.
My grt grt grt grandfather appeared in an old census as a farm labourer, live in.
Attachments
2021-05-10_170119.jpg
2021-05-10_165955.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

And that is nothing like as deep as it gets sometimes. e.g.

West Mersea Strood, the road onto the island and covered by the tide twice a day as spring tides build. Normally cars queue both sides but periodically cars stuck in middle and driver sits on top until the RNLI local lifeboat comes and rescues them.

Ian
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

rcwaterfall wrote: 10 May 2021, 11:50am Recently, two cyclists crashed when riding through the (slippy) village ford. Both were hospitalised, with serious injuries. Has anyone advice as to what our parish council might do to reduce the risk e.g. put up a "Cyclists Dismount" notice by the ford. Roger Waterfall, Marlesford.
My first thought when I read this was "hospitalised with serious injuries"???? from falling over in a ford. However doing a search on G maps and then 'riding' the road (Ford Road, I presume) I can see a possible danger.

In the G view it a dry normal road surface, but if the stream floods, it goes over the road. Fall over and on the downstream side of the road and it looks like you could drop over what is effectively a weir. There is a good modern footbridge, but difficult to work out how wide. It's only a short distance, so cycling is an easy choice.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.17227 ... 312!8i6656

Apart from warning signs, which many cyclists would simply ignore, the only safety addition I can think of would be a fence or catcher to stop you falling down the weir. However this may end up catching lots of flotsam, which could in itself be a problem.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 10 May 2021, 7:10pm Perhaps there could be a sign showing the depth of the water and two more signs:
Can you swim?
Can you read?
"A spokeswoman for Suffolk police confirmed one of the men suffered a serious leg injury and was airlifted to Ipswich Hospital.
She added his injuries are potentially life-changing.
The second cyclist suffered hip and knee injuries and was taken to Ipswich Hospital by land ambulance."

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/marlesford- ... nt-7928380

Are you sure that you want to make a joke about this?

Jonathan
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

millimole wrote: 10 May 2021, 3:24pm but it might save your legal bacon.
I'd be surprised if a Parish Council had any legal liability for a road based structure.

But in respect to fords, have to admit the only two I regularly ride have a footbridge, which I invariably use.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

gbnz wrote: 10 May 2021, 7:33pm
millimole wrote: 10 May 2021, 3:24pm but it might save your legal bacon.
I'd be surprised if a Parish Council had any legal liability for a road based structure.
To my surprise parish councils have responsibility for "danger signs". I have no idea how this interacts with responsibilities of highway authorities.

https://www.localgov.co.uk/Parish-counc ... ties/29135

Jonathan
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

millimole wrote: 10 May 2021, 3:21pm There was a case reported on road.cc a couple of years ago where two cyclists had a crash on a ford near me, and were sueing the council for damages citing the slippery surface.
This was Ratby Boroughs, Leicestershire.
I never did hear the outcome.
I think they may have struggled convincing a court that not knowing water was wet was common enough to warrant a sign
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Psamathe wrote: 10 May 2021, 5:45pm Image

And that is nothing like as deep as it gets sometimes. e.g.

West Mersea Strood, the road onto the island and covered by the tide twice a day as spring tides build. Normally cars queue both sides but periodically cars stuck in middle and driver sits on top until the RNLI local lifeboat comes and rescues them.

Ian
I remember going there and back in the SPOCO 12 Hr many years ago - tide was out :lol:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, I once ditched, not on a permanent ford but on a flooded stretch of road (much to the amusement of several onlookers). Trouble was, the road had a pothole which was invisible to me. My punishment was a thorough soaking. Since then fords and floods have earned my deepest respect...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Occasional/seasonal fords and those where there is plenty of traffic are not usually a problem, the surface is generally clean of algae and will usually be in reasonable nick. The dodgy ones are the less used permanents which do usually have some form of pedestrian bridge - just as well, i've come across some that a Landy would struggle through, you'd be getting at least wet if you tried on two wheels!

I take riding through as a challenge but if in doubt, especially on a road bike, i'll chicken out! There are some roads around this area (Brizzle) which are under almost continuous wet without being classified as a ford - eg the road south through Norton Malreward which has a sign for a ford at the top, running water for @ 400m the you get to the actual ford which is more often than not dry! In that case the whole road tends to be a bit slippery this time of year, being under trees it never really gets to dry out.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Once went over crossing a stream on the Isle of Mull on the mountain bike, second day of 10 day holiday; chipped my elbow...........and I laughed :?
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Mike Sales wrote: 10 May 2021, 4:25pm Cars can come unstuck in fords too.
Drivers thinking their talent is deeper than the water at Rufford Ford, some quite small cars passing through deep water that catches out bigger cars.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCamiAA ... JpQ/videos
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

'm somebody who has been known to ignore cyclist dismount signs.
Frequent use, here in Bristol. It will have dawned on any cyclist with half an ounce of common-sense that dismounting means they take up twice the room for twice the time, and is therefore advice that lacks merit... thus watering down the value of the advice in situtations where it might contain a germ of sense.
Really annoying...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)