Bike crash in ford

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rcwaterfall

Bike crash in ford

Post by rcwaterfall »

Recently, two cyclists crashed when riding through the (slippy) village ford. Both were hospitalised, with serious injuries. Has anyone advice as to what our parish council might do to reduce the risk e.g. put up a "Cyclists Dismount" notice by the ford. Roger Waterfall, Marlesford.
millimole

Re: Bike crash in ford

Post by millimole »

There was a case reported on road.cc a couple of years ago where two cyclists had a crash on a ford near me, and were sueing the council for damages citing the slippery surface.
This was Ratby Boroughs, Leicestershire.
I never did hear the outcome.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
millimole

Post by millimole »

rcwaterfall wrote:Recently, two cyclists crashed when riding through the (slippy) village ford. Both were hospitalised, with serious injuries. Has anyone advice as to what our parish council might do to reduce the risk e.g. put up a "Cyclists Dismount" notice by the ford. Roger Waterfall, Marlesford.
Simply saying 'dismount' is likely to be ignored, but it might save your legal bacon.
Giving a reason - "very slippery surface" is likely to be received more positively.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

Does it already have a warning sign of any kind?

Jonathan

PS: Impressive nominative determinism! : - )
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Many of the fords round here have a foot bridge. Often ride over them rather than through the ford.
This one, for instance.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.53880 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Slippery algae isn't uncommon in fords so users must take care. I came off a couple of times as a teenager getting on and off the Torpoint ferry and soon learnt it was safer to walk unless the tide was high and the ferry was at the top of the slipway. Just had an inspirational moment - they must be called "Slipways" for a reason. :lol:
No problem with this one at Malmsmead in Doone country.
2003 Exmoor Malmsmead.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote: 10 May 2021, 3:31pm Many of the fords round here have a foot bridge. Often ride over them rather than through the ford.
This one, for instance.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.53880 ... 312!8i6656
As is the case in the OP's village.

A caution sign would be a good idea, and then cyclists can make an informed choice.
mjr

Post by mjr »

rcwaterfall wrote: 10 May 2021, 11:50am Recently, two cyclists crashed when riding through the (slippy) village ford. Both were hospitalised, with serious injuries. Has anyone advice as to what our parish council might do to reduce the risk e.g. put up a "Cyclists Dismount" notice by the ford. Roger Waterfall, Marlesford.
In order of preference:
1. install a >1.5m wide bypass bridge with access ramps to/from the carriageway nearby and blue round cycling/walking signs showing permission to cycle across the bridge, like most fast fords I know have;
2. deal with the cause, such as scrubbing any algae off the bottom of the ford or re-roughening concrete that has worn smooth, and/or put up an appropriate warning sign (usually an exclamation mark triangle with an explanatory plate below, maybe "rough concrete", "skew cobblestones" or whatever else makes it hazardous).

Putting up a "Cyclists Dismount" rectangular information sign is unlikely to reduce anyone's risk because they are almost always ignored due to very very widespread illogical use (for example, there is one near me on a narrow bridge, but while you can ride across carefully, it's too narrow to push across safely if you dismount!) and it will reveal that you knew there is a hazard but did nothing effective to correct it.

Another question is what are cyclists who cannot dismount expected to do? The recent Local Transport Note 1/20 says "13.4.1 The CYCLISTS DISMOUNT sign to TSRGD diagram 966 should not normally be used [...] It should be borne in mind that some people with mobility impairments will be unable to dismount."
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cars can come unstuck in fords too.
A man was rescued from the roof of his car, after it was swept away in raging floodwater from the Afon Cegin at ‘White Bridge’ near Bangor.
[
The motorist had attempted to cross a flooded ‘Ford’ on a road between Llandegai and Bangor, when his car was swept away by the force of the water in the Afon Cegin.

The Ford was in full flood after two days of continuous rain from Strom Christoph and the car was swept into deeper water. The driver became trapped but managed to climb onto the roof of his car and call the emergency services.
https://www.thebangoraye.com/man-rescue ... ge-bangor/
White-Bridge-Bangor-500x243.jpg
Last edited by Mike Sales on 10 May 2021, 5:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

millimole wrote: 10 May 2021, 3:24pm
rcwaterfall wrote:Recently, two cyclists crashed when riding through the (slippy) village ford. Both were hospitalised, with serious injuries. Has anyone advice as to what our parish council might do to reduce the risk e.g. put up a "Cyclists Dismount" notice by the ford. Roger Waterfall, Marlesford.
Simply saying 'dismount' is likely to be ignored, but it might save your legal bacon.
Giving a reason - "very slippery surface" is likely to be received more positively.
I'm somebody who has been known to ignore cyclist dismount signs. I'm also somebody who rides through many of my local fords but I know they are only occasional fords plus for some the raised "footpath" would be horrible with a bike. Some are risky because there is a lot of sand/gravel on the road (put there by the ford and remaining there even when dry).

I'd expect that how algae slippery the ford is depends on how permanent it's over the road state is. Hence, as you say, a warning sign saying more than "Cyclists Dismount" (which many/some would see as legal protection and would ignore). The question would be the best working to highlight the risk but without looking like legal "buttock covering".

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

R68cfbb186373d806f5f0559ea73d375d.gif
R68cfbb186373d806f5f0559ea73d375d.gif (6.61 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

Personally I treat fords and cattle grids with respect. Don't like either, and don't need a sign to tell me whatever. Particularly when they're wet...as fords tend to be.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Level crossings you cycle across are the thing I really hate. I try to cycle diagonally to get closer to 90° to the track which means no following traffic ...

Ian
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I went through one yesterday - The first time I've seen it wet in a couple of years! It was the only option, as the raised path beside it looks really dodgy and likely to cause a fall into the water (especially if carrying the bike). I've reported the 'dodgy bridge' which is also often blocked with plant growth. for a few years now, but little success. I pity anyone who's walking and unsteady on their feet, as they'll probably be forced to take a soaking one way or another.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

oldtimer99 wrote: 10 May 2021, 4:39pm Personally I treat fords and cattle grids with respect. Don't like either, and don't need a sign to tell me whatever. Particularly when they're wet...as fords tend to be.
+1