Bike crash in ford

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jo' bo

Re: Bike crash in ford

Post by jo' bo »

ChrisF wrote: 15 May 2021, 4:09pm
Ben@Forest wrote: 14 May 2021, 9:51am I've skimmed through the replies to this and l don't think anyone has given the most obvious piece of advice - always freewheel through a ford, don't pedal. The base of a ford is almost always slick with algae and pushing power through the back wheel isn't advisable, especially if you enter the ford freewheeling and start pedalling halfway through to get out.

I don't think I've ever come across a ford which didn't have a pedestrian crossing, though sometimes incredibly narrow, once when touring l had to take the panniers off and carry them across, then push the bike across. Once l've also carried the bike across (no panniers) over stepping stones but the road alternative was only about 300 yards away.
ford.png ford2.png
This one didn't have a pedestrian bridge (although OSM has one marked, it seems) - it was 18" deep and tens of yards across. No chance of freewheelong! Luckily it was a warm day and I had plastic cycling sandals.
Part of my mountain bike tour takes me through a,stream, its usually 18" or so deep.

It had been raining heavily and I did note the steam was somewhat wider than Ussual, " no, it will be fine" I said before plunging in to find it was 4 foot deep
The fact I rode out the other side is one of my greatest cycling achievements
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

Many years ago there was a case, i think it might have been somewhere near Brighton but I could be wrong, where someone took a short cut following a path down a cliff. He fell and subsequently sued the local council. When it got to court the judge ruled that the claimant should have been able to see that descending down a cliff could be dangerous and dismissed the case. Similarly, a ford is likely to have a covering of algae and pose a hazard to users. It will be interesting to see if a claim is made
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Ben@Forest wrote: 14 May 2021, 9:51am I've skimmed through the replies to this and l don't think anyone has given the most obvious piece of advice - always freewheel through a ford, don't pedal. The base of a ford is almost always slick with algae and pushing power through the back wheel isn't advisable, especially if you enter the ford freewheeling and start pedalling halfway through to get out.
If I'm concerned about depth or flow or grip I get off and walk and push.

Jonathan
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Years ago, when I lived in Birmingham, I led my only Beacon RCC Sunday club run to Worcester Country Park, taking in two fords. These had been mildly entertaining on a route-scouting run the week before, when it had been sunny. However, on the day, it rained all the way there and all the way back. After 60 miles of road and river filth, I barely had enough meat left on the rear brakes for the final drop off the Lickey Hills. I'm sorry if anyone here was on the ride.

Anyway, to get back on topic, there were actually three fords on the route but one had a pedestrian bridge. We used the bridge there because that ford was about a foot deep and slimy green on the bottom, and a mate once got Very Wet when he fell off in the middle :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Well i have to admit that today, despite taking due care and caution, i came off crossing a ford, doing maybe 5mph and freewheeling. What is more galling is that it was almost bone dry and i'd been over it not ten minutes before in the opposite direction without any issue at all! There was just a tiny trickle of wet running across the concrete bed, in fact i came off in the middle and didn't get wet but clearly it was damp enough for the algae (which was nigh on invisible) to still be slippery which my wash out will confirm. The good news is that the bike and my kit survived un damaged :D it was only me who attracted a few (painful) scrapes :? .

I doubt this particular ford, on a dead end lane with little traffic, ever gets more than an inch or so deep, there's certainly no footbridge and as its on a bend - well i shan't be going up there again in a hurry! I guess the moral is, don't assume just because it looks dry that it is in fact, dry.

There were lanes both before and after the incident which had permanent streams running down them, the algae was clear to see and fairly easy to avoid.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
jb

Post by jb »

When I see a ford, or more usually the big red triangular 'Ford' sign I think "ford, could be slippery or lumpy" take my feet out of the clips check the surface and water depth and proceed with caution or take the foot bridge.

Does this make me a genius or has the world gone dumb?
Yes, I've been caught out. fallen off or had to put a foot down on occasion but that's part of the out door experience, enjoy or stay in the safety of your padded cell.
Cheers
J Bro
peetee

Post by peetee »

One of the first rides I ever did out into the wild green yonder was on my brothers Raleigh Chopper. There was a ford about two miles from home and I wanted to ride through it. Well, not surprisingly I ended up with a sore, wet bum and a new entry in my self-preservation skills cranial reference library.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

jb wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 8:24am When I see a ford, or more usually the big red triangular 'Ford' sign I think "ford, could be slippery or lumpy" take my feet out of the clips check the surface and water depth and proceed with caution or take the foot bridge.

Does this make me a genius or has the world gone dumb?
Yes, I've been caught out. fallen off or had to put a foot down on occasion but that's part of the out door experience, enjoy or stay in the safety of your padded cell.
not every ford is actually signed as such in these parts (South Glocs, North Somerset), as i mentioned yesterday, i was well aware oif the offending ford, was going slow and it was effectively dry - except for the slippery algae! :cry:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

A friend and I stopped at a slip sloping down into the sea to enjoy the evening view across the straits to the hills.
He took it into his head to ride down the slip and turn at the bottom by the low tide sea.
You do not have to be very experienced to know that green tinged rock in the inter-tidal zone has little friction, and he was plenty old enough to know better. Only bruises, and no splash.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There's a ford not far from here crossing the River Tamar.
Considering I've cycled over all of the 20odd bridges, the ford has some appeal ....................... not!

With all the rain we've had recently, the river is a bit full. Walking the dog the other day, we walked past the ford on the Cornish side and then crossed over Horesbridge further up. Looking south on the bridge, there's a small island, but it was completely submerged.

Found a picture of the ford.
Not one I'd even like to wade across!
We'd need an extended drought to make it passable.
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2422888
Photo taken from the Devon side.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Dovedale stepping stones.jpg
Dovedale stepping stones.jpg (10.58 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
Not on the Tamar, Mick, but would be interesting with your bike over your shoulder.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

How about bunny-hopping? :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 11:00am How about bunny-hopping? :lol:
A piece of duff for Danny Macaskill.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Not far from Mick F- this one would be fun to cycle through
(By Tony Atkin, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9202504).
I suppose if you were boring you could try at low tide
geograph-3683232-by-John-Walton.jpg
, but I think I would still use the raised walkway
jb

Post by jb »

According to the OS map there is supposed to be a ford near Nappa on the River Ribble, I've looked and looked but can only see deep water and big rocks, but there is the remains of a lane going down to the river.
Maybe I need a snorkel.
Cheers
J Bro