Fix your bike voucher

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
De Sisti

£50 for bike repair

Post by De Sisti »

Has anyone been to make use of the £50 that the government announced a few weeks ago?
Bonefishblues

Re: £50 for bike repair

Post by Bonefishblues »

Missed this. What's going on?
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

De Sisti wrote:Has anyone been to make use of the £50 that the government announced a few weeks ago?

Oh, right - you thought that because they announced it then that meant they were actually going to do it? Silly boy.
PH

Post by PH »

De Sisti wrote:Has anyone been to make use of the £50 that the government announced a few weeks ago?

I've read that the scheme isn't open till the end of June.
It's intention is to get more people cycling, the vouchers are limited so I'm hoping those already cycling who don't need the help will leave them for those who do rather than just seeing it as an easy fifty quid.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Thanks. Susequently I found this:
Update 05/06: The Department for Transport told Cycling Weekly they aim to open the bike repair scheme at the end of June.

“We have announced £225million emergency funding for Local Authorities to build cycle and walking infrastructure. The remaining £25million will go towards bike repairs to enable more people to cycle.

“We are aiming to open the bike repair scheme for applications by the end of June – we will be registering shops/mechanics to participate in advance of this.”
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

So just several weeks after telling everyone to go back to work if they can but not to use public transport then.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Postboxer wrote:So just several weeks after telling everyone to go back to work if they can but not to use public transport then.

I guess we shouldn't welcome it then.
mjr

Post by mjr »

We are allowed to welcome it but say it's launching too late to maximise its effect.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

brooksby wrote:

Oh, right - you thought that because they announced it then that meant they were actually going to do it? Silly boy.

Fair point. :oops:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:We are allowed to welcome it but say it's launching too late to maximise its effect.

Yes, the cup's half empty, you're right.

I expect, following the announcement on 23rd May, the recruitment of a network of cycle shops to do the work, and the design of the scheme took/is taking, well, a little while. I appreciate that people on here could have done a better, faster, cheaper job, but sadly idiots and incompetents were in charge. In other news, another poster is already questioning whether it will happen at all - less than 3 weeks later.

Can't we just welcome something as a step forward?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:I expect, following the announcement on 23rd May, the recruitment of a network of cycle shops to do the work, and the design of the scheme took/is taking, well, a little while. I appreciate that people on here could have done a better, faster, cheaper job, but sadly idiots and incompetents were in charge. In other news, another poster is already questioning whether it will happen at all - less than 3 weeks later.

1. I think that question comes from bitter experience of government putting out lots of warm words, less funding and even less action.

2. The above defence begs so many questions, but I won't dig into them further for fear of you continuing to accuse me of being pessimistic.

Bonefishblues wrote:Can't we just welcome something as a step forward?

Yes but can we wait until the step is actually taken?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I expect, following the announcement on 23rd May, the recruitment of a network of cycle shops to do the work, and the design of the scheme took/is taking, well, a little while. I appreciate that people on here could have done a better, faster, cheaper job, but sadly idiots and incompetents were in charge. In other news, another poster is already questioning whether it will happen at all - less than 3 weeks later.

1. I think that question comes from bitter experience of government putting out lots of warm words, less funding and even less action.

2. The above defence begs so many questions, but I won't dig into them further for fear of you continuing to accuse me of being pessimistic.

Bonefishblues wrote:Can't we just welcome something as a step forward?

Yes but can we wait until the step is actually taken?

Sometimes, not often, but sometimes the prevailing air of pessimism on the Forum elicits a response from me. This was one such occasion.

I welcome the announcement as a step forward. Am I allowed to do that, or might that be a step too far and might my Forum stripes get ripped off my epaulettes :lol:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:I welcome the announcement as a step forward. Am I allowed to do that, or might that be a step too far and might my Forum stripes get ripped off my epaulettes :lol:

You're allowed to do what you want, except perhaps condemn others for not getting their hopes up yet or giving government unqualified praise just for an announcement.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I welcome the announcement as a step forward. Am I allowed to do that, or might that be a step too far and might my Forum stripes get ripped off my epaulettes :lol:

You're allowed to do what you want, except perhaps condemn others for not getting their hopes up yet or giving government unqualified praise just for an announcement.

OK, I'll not do that then.

Let the gloom continue. As you were.