Dangerous slippy tarmac

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
squeaker

Re: Dangerous slippy tarmac

Post by squeaker »

Meanwhile, elsewhere along the south coast, it's slippery methyl methacrylate that's raising concerns :roll:
"42"
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'd be interested if anyone can find more details of that. Cold applied MMA is specifically marketed for its antislip properties.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Tested by the manufacturers and certified as suitable for cladding high-rise residential buildings?
drossall

Post by drossall »

I had a bad crash several years ago, on a mini-roundabout in Little Canfield, on the B1256 east of Bishops Stortford. I was going straight through. I touched the brakes, lost the back end, recovered it, found I was off-line and heading for the kerb, touched the brakes again and lost the front end. Split my forehead. Several passers-by kindly stopped, and an ambulance and the police duly turned up, the latter having been told wrongly that I'd been knocked off. I was whisked off to hospital for stitches and a check-up. Still have the scar.

The roundabout was new, and I could only put it down to oil or the surface, and the damp conditions. The central island was wide enough to mean a diversion off-line, but I was on fixed, which limits my speed anyway.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... having been told wrongly that I'd been knocked off ...
Ivor tingting's independent witlesses, perhaps?
drossall

Post by drossall »

Just people really trying to help and making wrong assumptions. Happens all the time. I was pretty disorientated, and grateful how many helped out. The first on the scene also took my bike and kept it safe till I was able to collect it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not questioning people's public-spiritedness but the sincere but mistaken witness can be an obstacle to getting at what happened.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm still re-living the near catastrophe from Saturday.
I was only doing maybe 5mph when I braked and got my foot on the kerb, so no harm done.

Frightened me silly though. Two wheels locked up on a left hand curve so the bike slid out to the right - just as I got my foot down on the kerb to the left.

Good job I was going slowly. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

how was the section from Sparkwell to Corntown. I remember that route as being wet and slippery under the vegetation canopy and the surface having plenty of loose gravel washed down due to the up and down terrain.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just trying to think, and re-appraising the route. From what I remember, it was fine. Damp and wet, but grippy enough and without issue.

Extracted the section prior to Sparkwell and out to the Cornwood road.
Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 15.30.50.png
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Thanks for that update. When I said I lived in Lutton it was actually in the adjacent hamlet called "Yondertown". :shock: Google maps doesn't recognise it's existence, it's only shown on OS maps. When I told people I lived in Yondertown I was met with blank expressions, :? disbelief :cry: or laughter :lol: unless the recipient was in the know. It was easier to say I lived in Lutton. Did you spot the Blachford viaduct at Slade as you passed it?
And oddly OS doesn't recognise Corntown either although from memory it's on the local signposts.
Last edited by rjb on 19 May 2021, 10:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rjb wrote: 19 May 2021, 9:56pmWhen I said I lived in Lutton it was actually in the adjacent hamlet called "Yondertown". Google maps doesn't recognise it's existence, it's only shown on OS maps.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Yonde ... -3.9810897
Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 21.58.37.png

Jonathan
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Slippy is a rare term???

Seems to be common for new surfacing to be done this way, not sure why. I've no idea why you'd cycle anywhere near as close as a foot from the edge either though. Sounds a like an invitation for punctures. :?
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
rjb

Post by rjb »

Well it's not on my version of Google maps, but appears in red text if I search on it. What's the significance of the red text :?
Last edited by rjb on 19 May 2021, 10:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That's interesting. What happens if you click the link?

Jonathan