Greetings whilst riding

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
VinceLedge

Re: Greetings whilst riding

Post by VinceLedge »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 8:07pm When you are continually surrounded by people you don't know, why would you say hello to them? Even in an English city, there are enough cyclists that it's no rarity to see another.
I thought that until I moved out of the South East of England and found that as you move further north the more people acknowledge each other when passing. Now living in Scotland I find it surprising when someone doesn't acknowledge you!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Here in Alsace we can always tell the citified tourists by their blinkered stares. I reckon that eye contact must be dangerous when you live in a warren.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

VinceLedge wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 9:47pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 8:07pm When you are continually surrounded by people you don't know, why would you say hello to them? Even in an English city, there are enough cyclists that it's no rarity to see another.
I thought that until I moved out of the South East of England and found that as you move further north the more people acknowledge each other when passing. Now living in Scotland I find it surprising when someone doesn't acknowledge you!
Certainly there are regional variations (not just north-south). But in a city situation, when there are a dozen other cyclists waiting at the lights with you for instance, would you really greet them? Take those dozen out into a rural area and have them pass each other at ten minute intervals, sure (though that's making assumptions that the act of cycling engenders some sort of automatic community feeling).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I can see the "continually surrounded" thing is valid, but what happens when a normally continually surrounded person is in a non-surrounded place? What happens when they visit the countryside?

They still cut people dead ............ out of habit maybe.

Little story .........

Mrs Mick F used to be Front of House at a local bistro. People from London or the SE would come down to Cornwall for a break - rented cottage perhaps - and use the bistro in the evenings.

She would tell you that couples would sit opposite each other scoff their meals and hardly say a word, then pay up and leave. A few evenings at the bistro later, and they'd sit back between courses, chat freely, stay a while longer, chat to the staff, comment on the meal, and be generally "human".

Hopefully, they left a little wiser than when they arrived.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Mick F wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 10:39am I can see the "continually surrounded" thing is valid, but what happens when a normally continually surrounded person is in a non-surrounded place? What happens when they visit the countryside?

They still cut people dead ............ out of habit maybe.
Not generally true IME.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I thought an old guy on an Ebike with his jeans tucked into his socks and a yellow high vis tabbard might get ignored by roadies in lycra. But, I am pleased to say I do mostly get acknowledged. The only exceptions seem to be scruffy blokes on Mtbs whirring along the road on knobbly tyres with saddles at the wrong height and feet splayed out.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Ron

Post by Ron »

On my first visit to the Lake District I went out for a walk in the hills and acknowledged others doing the same, as was my habit in my home territory. I soon realised this was not the thing do and simply adopted the local custom of avoiding eye contact. :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Local custom, or the people you met in the hills?
Lake District is full of tourists from all over the country .............. and the world.

Had a couple of holidays there in the 60s which was brilliant, and visited there in the 80s. Big huge difference, and we would never ever go back again.
Mick F. Cornwall
busb

Post by busb »

DaveReading wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 7:36pm
busb wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 5:13pmDue to increased age, I occasionally get overtaken by other cyclists :wink: I would say only a tiny percentage of those cyclists acknowledge my presence. If they do, I always reciprocate.
Cyclist who waits for others to greet him first complains about fellow cyclists doing the same. :)
I sense some clarification is needed: approaching cyclists, I nod or say something if the circumstances allow - I don't wait for them to do so first. The number of cyclists passing who acknowledge me has dropped to almost none. This never used to be the case - it's almost as if it's uncool. My point is that when so few bother, I've become far more selective.
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

I give a nod to cyclists I pass, or stick a hand out for a little 'wave', regardless of their choice of cycle.
A few give a nod back, especially the 'regulars' I see, but I'd say the majority don't.
From my experience, it seems to be older persons that won't nod back, moreover if they're riding a road bike. Yes, this is a generalisation and doesn't ring true for all that fit this description, but just something I've picked up on.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Hello. I have not been on this forum for a couple of years now. This pandemic has really knocked life sideways here and I have only just started going out riding again. (24 miles round South Oxfordshire today in an hour and three quarters. My knees have not forgiven me yet. Ouch)
I always nod/wave/say hello to other riders, whatever they look like or whatever they are riding, and most of the time I get a good response back. BUT, occasionally I get those for whome I probably don't even exist and I consider this just so rude, arrogant and plain ignorant!

It could be someone 30 years my junior, passing me on something new. Perhaps it is beneath him to acknowledge someone riding a bike that is probably as old as him? If they don't respond to a civil greeting, I usually follow it up with "And good day to you too!" very loudly.
I'm now touching my senior years, so I think I'm sometimes entitled to be cantankerous.
Had one today, sailed past me near Brightwell-cum-Sotwell without so much as a nod, then pulls into a driveway 100m ahead. Pah!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

AlanD wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 9:50pmI always nod/wave/say hello to other riders, whatever they look like or whatever they are riding, and most of the time I get a good response back.
Please don't let anyone put you off doing just the same in future.

Jonathan

PS: Do you use the forest trail from under the Clumps to get round to Shillingford? : - )
drossall

Post by drossall »

This is exactly the same phenomenon as makes drivers think that all cyclists are reckless and have no lights, and cyclists think that all drivers pass too close. We only notice the people doing what we're looking out for. Technically, I believe it's known as confirmation bias.

Contrary to some posts above, I'm in the south east, and I find most cyclists pretty friendly. Some will nod or even wave. Some just exchange a smile. Some don't do anything. Sometimes, I don't do anything either, because I'm thinking about the ride, or the need to get somewhere in a hurry, or the driver who just amplified my confirmation bias.

I've not noticed a division by type of cyclist, whatever that means. I ride various bikes at various times in various attire, because my bikes are for transport as well as leisure, and I dabble in club racing as well as in Audax. So I'm not sure how those who want to categorise cyclists would categorise me.

I prefer to enjoy sharing a greeting with those who will, and hope that those who choose not are enjoying their rides, all the same. I'm not nodding to you to score your affability; I'm just saying hello.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

I'm 'on-road' only.
I have several routes and at the moment it's Blewbury - Streetley - Goring - Wallingford and Sires Hill.
That's all I can do at present, hopelessly out of condition!
Want to work up to my longer route of out to Eynsham via Abingdon and back via Southmoor, E Hannay and Harwell. All of 41 miles. Gasp!
In my teens to twenties, I was out all day all round Essex.

Met a friendly chap in Streatley yesterday. He asked if it was always this busy? Yes, it usually is. A few weeks previously I met a group about to turn up Streatley Hill (Done that. A lot of pain. Nothing to prove there). They greeted me with "Nice bike" :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

A bit south of us, then.

Have fun

Jonathan