Greetings whilst riding

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grumpy-Grandad

Greetings whilst riding

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

Out on my ride this morning I encountered many cyclists both in groups and solo.
All the riders on hybrid type bikes returned my wave and/or “Good Morning” as did some of the group riders on bikes with dropped handlebars.

BUT

Some of those who were riding with their nose down and bum touching the clouds just looked at me as though I was from the planet Zod and ignored me :(
I could understand if they were racing along but they were going at quite a relaxed pace.

I will continue to wave or shout a cheery greeting ….. makes me feel better :D :D :D
Steve
jezer

Re: Greetings whilst riding

Post by jezer »

I always raise a hand to acknowledge other riders, and have always done so. I estimate about 70% totally blank me. I like to think these are relatively new to cycling and haven’t learnt the etiquette, either that or they are just antisocial.
Power to the pedals
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Well done, both.

Smile, wave, greet somehow... regardless of what they do.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I've found the racing types less likely to wave or return a wave/hello but also found adult youngsters (20+'ish) not so likely to return greetings.

Ian
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

This is a hardy perrenial of forum topics.
I incline towards a friendly greeting myself.
Greetings may be related to density of cyclists but I remember riding along a straight, lonely fenland road and seeing a dot in the distance that my cyclist's eye recognised as another rider. When we finally passed each other there was not even the suggestion of a twitch of a finger on the bars.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I always greet folk, including where possible walkers. I acknowledge motorists whom I hold up or who let me out. Mostly I get a nice response. I think such behaviour is quite normal up here. Go to a bus stop and you will get someone’s life story if there is anyone else in the queue.
John
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

Oldjohnw wrote: 16 May 2021, 12:50pm I always greet folk, including where possible walkers. I acknowledge motorists whom I hold up or who let me out. Mostly I get a nice response. I think such behaviour is quite normal up here. Go to a bus stop and you will get someone’s life story if there is anyone else in the queue.
I also like to great walkers :D
As for motorists, I also acknowledge their patience if I've held them up or if they give way to me (yes it does happen :lol: )
Steve
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

My wife and I were given the 'finger' by a passing motorist who'd been held up through a narrow village (the driver of the van who'd been immediately behind us didn't complain) as Mr Finger drove off, my wife and I both spontaneously gave him a big smile and a friendly wave. Kill 'em with kindness I say :D
PH

Post by PH »

Human nature - We're more likely to acknowledge those we think we have something in common with. That recognition might not even be on a conscious level and it's hardly surprising if the bigger the group the more defined that similarity becomes. You'd look a bit daft riding through the Amsterdam rush hour waving at everyone!
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

Mike Sales wrote: 16 May 2021, 11:32am This is a hardy perrenial of forum topics.
Indeed - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=138907
peetee

Post by peetee »

I greet and if it isn’t returned I follow it with a loud raspberry as they pass.
Well, if they are going to be rude, I can do rude too.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Stradageek wrote: 17 May 2021, 12:26pm My wife and I were given the 'finger' by a passing motorist who'd been held up through a narrow village (the driver of the van who'd been immediately behind us didn't complain) as Mr Finger drove off, my wife and I both spontaneously gave him a big smile and a friendly wave. Kill 'em with kindness I say
I'd guess that this is also the quickest way of getting rid of anger or resentment after being endangered. And that's important for our own safety,

Jonathan
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

I forgot to say ..... I don't acknowledge dustbin wagons and I don't move over to let them pass, in fact I ride slower to hold them up ..... getting my own back on the scourge of the road :twisted:
Steve
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Rather presumptuous to think that people don't return a greeting are being rude.

Some of us just have our heads in the clouds and won't even consciously register the greeting until they've gone past.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Grumpy-Grandad wrote: 18 May 2021, 11:38am I forgot to say ..... I don't acknowledge dustbin wagons and I don't move over to let them pass, in fact I ride slower to hold them up ..... getting my own back on the scourge of the road :twisted:
While I was working for the local waste collecting service of the council, the collection teams were measured at walking an average of eleven miles per shift in all weathers, subject to abuse and threatening behaviour if certain residents believed that the collection team should take all their waste and not just the permitted amount prescribed by the council, and there were a number of collisions as motorists either passed too close, or too fast for the collection teams working around the vehicle. There were also a number of one off incidents including a resident who had put a can of creosote in their refuse bin which exploded in the crusher, spraying a member of the collection team with the stuff. Waste collection vehicles are large ponderous things, which exist only from necessity. We could remove them completely, but it would mean you'd have to take your own waste to the dump....
It's time to go :-)