Greetings whilst riding

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jdsk

Re: Greetings whilst riding

Post by Jdsk »

jb wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 9:51amMost times even a stop isn't necessary - a simple "you okay?" on the way past will do.
Yes.

I've often been able to help others, and have twice been on the receiving end, and very grateful for it.

Jonathan
jb

Post by jb »

You can feel a bit of a prat asking them if they are okay when they're obviously not, but you don't want to butt in if they'd prefer to deal with it themselves. It does however give people a chance to say something if for instance their pumps not working.
Cheers
J Bro
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Yes, always to ask, not just jump in.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Audax67 wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 9:28am
francovendee wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 8:01am
Syd wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 4:21pm We don’t greet other pedestrians, car driver etc so why on earth should we greet other cyclists?
Here, cyclists and pedestrians usually say hello on passing.
Here too. And among cyclists there's the fellowship that comes from practising the same sport and facing the same adversity.
‘Sport’? Fellowship? Really?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

You know how football fans always wave at anyone wearing a football shirt? It's just like that. ¿?
Syd

Post by Syd »

You must know completely different football fans to those I see around the place.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A few days ago, there was a cyclist at the bottom of the hill on the Cornwall side of the River Tamar at Newbridge.
Just here by the parked cars.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.52856 ... 312!8i6656

He had a puncture and was (hopefully fixing it) and I asked him if he was ok.
He had no idea that I was a cyclist, as I was walking the dog!
I still asked him, and he replied he was ok ......... but I would have had to walk back home - 2 miles? ............. to get the tools to sort him out.

I still spoke to him, and still asked if he was ok.
I didn't know him from Adam, and he didn't know me or the dog, but we still spoke and we didn't ignore each other.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Syd wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 8:30pm Some weird folk on here with a predilection to talk to, or at least acknowledge, total strangers.
It’s normal to acknowledge people and talk to strangers. People do it all the time and when they come across people like you who obviously don’t respond to weird people then we go away thinking he’s weird.
OK you’re probably a city dweller and on my rare visits to heavily populated areas I don’t acknowledge everyone either.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

You never know when you might need some help.
John
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 10:12am
jb wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 9:51amMost times even a stop isn't necessary - a simple "you okay?" on the way past will do.
Yes.

I've often been able to help others, and have twice been on the receiving end, and very grateful for it.

Jonathan
Indeed, a month or so back I was loaded up with panniers, tent and kit, toiling my way up a long hill and had paused for a rest--a roadie came up along the same stretch of road and stopped and asked if I was ok, I was and replied 'all well thanks', but he said he needed a rest too and we had a chat as we admired the view.

I said I was feeling it a bit, with the loaded bike and the hills, and he said 'I'll ride with you for a while'--I was a bit apprehensive, knowing how slow I would be but he said he would keep to my pace and show me a less steep section of road, we were heading in approx the same direction--so we cycled and chatted and the weight of my loaded panniers seemed to lighten slightly even as the grade steepened.

The chap was friendly and recounted his own fatigue tales, and how he also had been cheered along once by a fellow cyclist when he too had got tired legs homeward bound--so off we went up and over the hill and down the other side, parting ways at the bottom.

A bit of moral support goes a long way and one day I'll repay my debt to the kind roadie and return the favour to a fatigued cyclist weighed down and weary on the road...

all the best,

Keith
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Traction_man wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 6:13pmThe chap was friendly and recounted his own fatigue tales, and how he also had been cheered along once by a fellow cyclist when he too had got tired legs homeward bound--so off we went up and over the hill and down the other side, parting ways at the bottom.

A bit of moral support goes a long way and one day I'll repay my debt to the kind roadie and return the favour to a fatigued cyclist weighed down and weary on the road...
: - )

Is there a conservation law, and we just pass the allocation along?

A Merry heart goes all the day
Your sad tires in a Mile- A.

Jonathan

PS: This is not a reference to cracked sidewalls...
Syd

Post by Syd »

Paulatic wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 5:47pm
Syd wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 8:30pm Some weird folk on here with a predilection to talk to, or at least acknowledge, total strangers.
It’s normal to acknowledge people and talk to strangers. People do it all the time and when they come across people like you who obviously don’t respond to weird people then we go away thinking he’s weird.
OK you’re probably a city dweller and on my rare visits to heavily populated areas I don’t acknowledge everyone either.
As you say yourself cities are different.
jb

Post by jb »

I once went in a bar in France - somewhere in the central massif, a place I could never find again - with just enough money for one beer. because it was in the days that you needed to cash in travellers cheques to get cash and it was Sunday. I got chatting to a fellow who when I declined a drink off him & explaining my situation insisted on buying several beers all night because he said some English fellow had done the same for him when he was in the same situation.
I wobbled back to the tent in a rather worse condition than I had expected to be in at the beginning of the evening.
The sad thing was could not help but worry about whether he would actually pay the tab at the end of the evening or forget about it. But there was nothing to worry about & I left the bar with them all singing 'Rule Britannia'. :)
Cheers
J Bro
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Syd wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 6:34pm As you say yourself cities are different.
Haven't I said this already?
Read my posts.

Just coz you're in a city normally, and then come out of it and you find people saying Hello, doesn't mean you ignore them.
It's you who are weird and alien, and not them. :roll:
Mick F. Cornwall
Syd

Greetings whilst riding

Post by Syd »

Mick F wrote:
Syd wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 6:34pm As you say yourself cities are different.
Haven't I said this already?
Read my posts.

Just coz you're in a city normally, and then come out of it and you find people saying Hello, doesn't mean you ignore them.
It's you who are weird and alien, and not them. :roll:
I was responding to, and agreeing with, Paulatic.

Oh, and no need to get personal, smiley or not.

My comment was very much a generalisation and not aimed at anyone in particular. Yes, I do find greeting strangers very odd indeed and cannot comprehend those that feel it’s normal.