Greetings whilst riding

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bjlabuk

Re: Greetings whilst riding

Post by bjlabuk »

Hmm, in Aberdeen it is spelt 'Yous' (pronounced 'yews' and rhymes with 'jews' ). I think 'Youse' would be mispronounced as it rhymes with 'house'). Here are some examples https://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/mi-con ... ?word=yous.

Anyway, I have a number of 'Success Cycling' DVDs which I use in conjunction with a large LED TV in my garage when I am using my spare bike on a turbo trainer. Following the 'pros' out training in a group, the camera bike catches them acknowledging alot of other cyclists with a simple quick raise of the right hand off the handlebar. I make a point of doing that when I meet most oncoming cyclists, unless the road is too wide (eg on a dual carraigeway I think it would be pretty pointless) . Whether they acknowledge me or not I don't really care!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Maybe I'm odd but I always give other cyclists a wave roadies, MTB or casuals.

Walkers and other users a morning, afternoon, evening...

Always offer to help a cyclist in need - it could be me next time, although covid has made this more difficult.

Kindness dissent cost a penny but can save a life.

Cheers James
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

bjlabuk wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 4:29pm Hmm, in Aberdeen it is spelt 'Yous' (pronounced 'yews' and rhymes with 'jews' ). I think 'Youse' would be mispronounced as it rhymes with 'house'). Here are some examples https://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/mi-con ... ?word=yous
You may well be right.

I can't say I've ever seen it written down anywhere, nor would I expect to.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I think yous or youse is fairly common in Australia too. Some dialects of American English have you all, or y'all. But Standard British English seems to work fairly well with just you.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Nothing odd in greeting people. It only becomes 'odd' when you get grumpy if they don't return your greeting.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 9:45am Nothing odd in greeting people. It only becomes 'odd' when you get grumpy if they don't return your greeting.
You mean that bad manners shouldn't be annoying?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 5:58pm You never know when you might need some help.
Very true :D
Steve
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Audax67 wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 10:45am
Bmblbzzz wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 9:45am Nothing odd in greeting people. It only becomes 'odd' when you get grumpy if they don't return your greeting.
You mean that bad manners shouldn't be annoying?
Bad manners can be annoying but perhaps to assume the lack of response must be bad manners is somewhat bad manners in itself. Someone might be concentrating on traffic, negotiating a pot hole and unable to take a hand of the bars, or in some other situation that demands all their attention on the road. Or in contrast, they might be daydreaming. They might simply not have seen or heard your greeting, or not be certain what you said or whether your hand gesture was a greeting. Equally, they might have made a small gesture which you failed to see or interpret. Perhaps most of all, they might not share the idea of "fellowship of the road, fraternity of the wheel, community of sport" which tends to come from a certain club and sporting background, as opposed to simply riding to wherever.

Greeting is good, but it's nothing to greet (in the Scottish sense) over. Ride your own ride and let others ride theirs, I say.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

It is surprising how many long term friendships arise from such casual salutations.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 12:40pm
Bad manners can be annoying but perhaps to assume the lack of response must be bad manners is somewhat bad manners in itself. Someone might be concentrating on traffic, negotiating a pot hole and unable to take a hand of the bars, or in some other situation that demands all their attention on the road. Or in contrast, they might be daydreaming. They might simply not have seen or heard your greeting, or not be certain what you said or whether your hand gesture was a greeting. Equally, they might have made a small gesture which you failed to see or interpret. Perhaps most of all, they might not share the idea of "fellowship of the road, fraternity of the wheel, community of sport" which tends to come from a certain club and sporting background, as opposed to simply riding to wherever.

Greeting is good, but it's nothing to greet (in the Scottish sense) over. Ride your own ride and let others ride theirs, I say.
I agree with this.
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

De Sisti wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 7:37am
Bmblbzzz wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 12:40pm

I agree with this.
Me too. It hits the nail right on the head. I suppose it's too much to hope that it will put an end to this thread.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

With a couple of exceptions, who have self-selected above, I will continue to be friendly towards other cyclists when cycling and walking when out on a walk.

:D
John
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

A nod is my preferred greeting, and if its a pretty girl on a bike, maybe even a wink :lol:
sjs

Post by sjs »

Slowtwitch wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 10:09pm A nod is my preferred greeting, and if its a pretty girl on a bike, maybe even a wink :lol:
What if it's a blind horse?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

sjs wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 8:56am
Slowtwitch wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 10:09pm A nod is my preferred greeting, and if its a pretty girl on a bike, maybe even a wink
What if it's a blind horse?
As good, I hope.

Jonathan