Greetings whilst riding

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TimeTraveller

Re: Greetings whilst riding

Post by TimeTraveller »

while out on a small tour (few days on and off road) I had more motorcycle riders nod than other cyclists acknowledge me.. funny thing folk are...
Pete... I think
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

I don't do city riding, just on rural roads around home or on tours/trips. I wouldn't think of passing another cyclist without lifting a hand to give a flick of acknowledgment at least. On the whole it's reciprocated. Not exactly band of brothers, but (perhaps naively) I imagine us all as a community of lovely people.
Mind you, I always wave an acknowledgment of any motorist who shows good manners (to encourage them to continue to so so). Maybe I'm just a compulsive waver...
Syd

Post by Syd »

We don’t greet other pedestrians, car driver etc so why on earth should we greet other cyclists?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I greet other pedestrians when the density drops below the critical level.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Syd wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 4:21pm We don’t greet other pedestrians, car driver etc so why on earth should we greet other cyclists?
Yes we do, and yes we do.
And yes we greet other cyclists.

Where on Earth do you live that if someone passes, you don't say hello or comment on the weather?
Horse riders and cyclists?

Car drivers round here wave at pedestrians as they go past on the lanes. Narrow stuff round here, and it takes teamwork to travel along them. Try driving over Gunnislake Newbridge A390 without a car driver thanking you for giving way.

Where on Earth do you live?
City perhaps.
Mick F. Cornwall
ossie

Post by ossie »

Syd wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 4:21pm We don’t greet other pedestrians, car driver etc so why on earth should we greet other cyclists?
I greet pedestrians, horse riders, dog walkers, runners and cyclists, that said much of my riding is semi rural nowadays and my greeting is usually reciprocated. On the well established cycling commuter routes in town it's a different story.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Think I must have been passed by Syd
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Some weird folk on here with a predilection to talk to, or at least acknowledge, total strangers.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

ossie wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 7:06pm
I greet pedestrians, horse riders, dog walkers, runners and cyclists, that said much of my riding is semi rural nowadays and my greeting is usually reciprocated. On the well established cycling commuter routes in town it's a different story.
Yup.

One thing I certainly don't do is get annoyed when someone doesn't wave back, or indeed when someone waves me.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Syd wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 8:30pm Some weird folk on here with a predilection to talk to, or at least acknowledge, total strangers.
FYI...

It's known as being friendly.

I fully accept that it's not compulsory.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Tiberius wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 5:40am
Syd wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 8:30pm Some weird folk on here with a predilection to talk to, or at least acknowledge, total strangers.
FYI...

It's known as being friendly.

I fully accept that it's not compulsory.
Thank goodness it isn’t.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

I do.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Here, cyclists and pedestrians usually say hello on passing.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

francovendee wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 8:01am
Here, cyclists and pedestrians usually say hello on passing.
Here too. And among cyclists there's the fellowship that comes from practising the same sport and facing the same adversity.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
jb

Post by jb »

There's a difference between a greeting and a simple acknowledgement. The more important test is whether you can be bothered to stop and inquire if they need assistance if they look like they need it. Most times even a stop isn't necessary - a simple "you okay?" on the way past will do.
Cheers
J Bro