Greetings whilst riding

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Traction_man

Re: Greetings whilst riding

Post by Traction_man »

xerxes wrote: 28 May 2021, 2:41pm
rareposter wrote: 18 May 2021, 8:35pm
Honestly, it's a constant source of amazement to me that some people (a) feel the need to wave at randomers just because they're using the same mode of transport
Yes, rather like VW Beetle drivers who feel the urge to wave at other VW Beetle drivers. A classic example of what Kurt Vonnegut would call a 'granfalloon'.
It's just a bit of camaraderie, looking out for each other, I always acknowledge other cyclists when out on the road, not on a busy cycle path though, it's a frequency thing I guess, the odd cyclist deserves an acknowledgement! I always appreciate it.

Cheers,

Keith
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

With VW Campers theres a hierarchy. I have a T3/T25 and that is the bottom of the pile :lol: T1s or Splities as they are know as due to the split windscreen are top of the pile. You are now talking about £30k and upwards for a decent restored example. They dont usually wave at anyone! Next is the T2 bay window, they wave at other bay windows (curved windscreen) and Splities who might not wave back!. Next is mine, the T25 Brick or Bulli, very rare to get a wave from the older T1 or T2 and studiously ignored by all later models T4 - T6. But no one with an old model waves at modern vans.
You have daft chassis lowering which looks barmy, and the 'rat look' which is studied decrepitude with lacquered rust patches.
Personally I enjoy my van which is roomier than the older models with better suspension and a more powerful engine. I dont wave except when waved at.

Al :lol:
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Traction_man wrote: 28 May 2021, 6:07pm
It's just a bit of camaraderie
Hey, had quite a greeting today :wink: . Some 50 young beef cows, not only galloped across to meet this cyclist, but then continued to gallop along the hillside, gathering around the cyclists every time he stopped :lol: . Went on for a good 6-7 minutes :wink:
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I tend to wave or nod or similar once out of a built-up area but I'm not concerned if someone doesn't return a greeting. It's really not the same as being rude. It can be due to rudeness but it's often for other reasons, in fact for some people at some times, being greeted by a stranger may be an intrusion.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Grumpy-Grandad wrote: 18 May 2021, 11:38am I forgot to say ..... I don't acknowledge dustbin wagons and I don't move over to let them pass, in fact I ride slower to hold them up ..... getting my own back on the scourge of the road :twisted:
Not sure how to reply to this! ‘You can’t fix stupid’ or ‘there’s no fool like an old fool’ Both seem to apply here.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

cycle tramp wrote: 18 May 2021, 1:52pm
Grumpy-Grandad wrote: 18 May 2021, 11:38am I forgot to say ..... I don't acknowledge dustbin wagons and I don't move over to let them pass, in fact I ride slower to hold them up ..... getting my own back on the scourge of the road :twisted:
While I was working for the local waste collecting service of the council, the collection teams were measured at walking an average of eleven miles per shift in all weathers, subject to abuse and threatening behaviour if certain residents believed that the collection team should take all their waste and not just the permitted amount prescribed by the council, and there were a number of collisions as motorists either passed too close, or too fast for the collection teams working around the vehicle. There were also a number of one off incidents including a resident who had put a can of creosote in their refuse bin which exploded in the crusher, spraying a member of the collection team with the stuff. Waste collection vehicles are large ponderous things, which exist only from necessity. We could remove them completely, but it would mean you'd have to take your own waste to the dump....
In practice, what tends to happen in such places is fly-tipping.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Having moved from Northumberland to the Cotswolds I can now make this carefully evidenced observation after all of two bike rides:

Every cyclist acknowledged me in a friendly way up north. Not a single cyclist has acknowledged me down here, even though I have greeted them all with a wave. Perhaps I am unlucky so far. I will keep trying.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I suspect that there is a systematic difference, but please keep trying. Pleasantry might be communicable.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My comment above was - and I had hoped this was evident - slightly tongue-in-cheek. My evidence is slight.
John
jb

Post by jb »

Every southerner knows that all strangers have one objective : to cut your throat & steal your purse. Be friendly at your peril.
Cheers
J Bro
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Thanks for the warning. I hadn’t picked that up but I will be on my guard. So far everyone, with the exception of a couple of dozen cyclists, has been lovely.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I learnt early on in my riding life that cheery greetings are hierachical... as a serial Moulton rider and ex-BMW rider, too, I'm used to being ignored by other riders of single-track vehicles, for one reason and another... ! Doesn't stop me smiling/waving/nodding cheerfully, mind :D
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

If i see you on my perambulations i'll give you a wave, although i'm not sure what you look like! :D

When I first started to ride in the greater Avon area i had a similar experience which seemed to be associated with footwear. If i wore my touring shoes, regardless of bike, roadies ignored me but if i had 'road' shoes on i usually got some acknowledgement. Almost 2 years on and i seem to get a wave, nod etc from most 'serious' riders - maybe they recognise me or i look 'serious', a cheery greeting is almost always ignored by 'leisure' riders who clearly aren't in 'the klub'!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

foxyrider wrote: 7 Sep 2021, 10:13pm If i see you on my perambulations i'll give you a wave, although i'm not sure what you look like! :D

When I first started to ride in the greater Avon area i had a similar experience which seemed to be associated with footwear. If i wore my touring shoes, regardless of bike, roadies ignored me but if i had 'road' shoes on i usually got some acknowledgement. Almost 2 years on and i seem to get a wave, nod etc from most 'serious' riders - maybe they recognise me or i look 'serious', a cheery greeting is almost always ignored by 'leisure' riders who clearly aren't in 'the klub'!
I don’t look like a serious rider! I am also old so no one would expect me to cycle 40+ miles jaunts. I have an old Raleigh hybrid, wear Rohan shorts and any tee shirt with walking trainers. I probably look like I have had to nip out to the shops! Think old Ruff Stuff Fellowship from the 1970s.

I will keep acknowledging so if I should see you you will get a friendly wave.
John
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Some responses are more obvious than others. Often if I give a nod, wave or hello, the response is (literally) a raising of the little finger (right hand) , the remainder of the hand remaining resting on the brake hood.