Greetings whilst riding

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
De Sisti

Re: Greetings whilst riding

Post by De Sisti »

I hate it when a rider cycles alongside and asks; "Where are you going"?, or Where are you from"?

Upon answering their question, they never, ever, respond automatically, without hesitation or prompting about where they are going, or whey they are from.

Now, in response to such questions, I always ask the rider to introduce themselves to me.
This generally results in silence, the rider looking rather uncomfortable and them riding off
muttering some obscenities under their breath.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Never experienced the above.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

PT1029 wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 6:34am Some responses are more obvious than others. Often if I give a nod, wave or hello, the response is (literally) a raising of the little finger (right hand) , the remainder of the hand remaining resting on the brake hood.

Absolutely. I don’t expect a conversation with someone who is trying to do 100km in record time.
John
jb

Post by jb »

There's a lot of new cyclists out there at the moment many of whom are probably unaware / uninterested in road etiquette.

Having said that I've probably been oblivious to many a greeting due to being deep in thought.
Cheers
J Bro
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My original observation was not about the one or two but going from almost universal acknowledgement to universal ignoring. I could spot the minuscule acknowledgment when up north so I guess I would be able to do the same here.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 8 Sep 2021, 9:56am, edited 1 time in total.
John
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I greet the cows and sheep on my rides, but they are seldom moooved to answer baaaack.

So rude and such a disgrace!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

tatanab wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 8:56am I greet the cows and sheep on my rides, but they are seldom moooved to answer baaaack.

So glad I am not the only one! I talk to all the wildlife and also sing constantly. I have few riding companions for some reason.
John
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

In much of S and SE Asia, almost everybody greets you. They have their own local form: where you going; where you come from; a simple hello; etc.

Some cyclists love it, others hate it. As for me I like it and always answer or wave. Pretty tiring at the end of a long day. Riding at home usually seems very quite in contrast.

Nonetheless, on the road in my fair county of Essex, I would say that the majority (70+%) of cyclists (even some dedicated roadies) give an acknowledgement.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonhill wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 1:57pm In much of S and SE Asia, almost everybody greets you. They have their own local form: where you going; where you come from; a simple hello; etc.
Kitna?
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

If you cycle here in the Scottish Borders (and Northumberland) pretty much every you go past either on foot or bike will acknowledge you and respond to a wave. Sometimes they will have a wee chat, surely that is all good? It is pleasant to acknowledge each other. Some car drivers on the back roads will do the same as well. (In a nice way!)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 9:58am
tatanab wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 8:56am I greet the cows and sheep on my rides, but they are seldom moooved to answer baaaack.

So glad I am not the only one! I talk to all the wildlife and also sing constantly. I have few riding companions for some reason.
Do you applaud exceptional views and atmospheric effects?

: - )

Jonathan
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Me too, though the singing tends to die when I come to a hill :D
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 3:26pm

Jonathan
Of course. I extoll the magic of the landscape to…myself in a loud voice.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 6:39pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 9:58am So glad I am not the only one! I talk to all the wildlife and also sing constantly. I have few riding companions for some reason.
I clap.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 6:43pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 6:39pm
I clap.

Jonathan
I dare not take one hand of the bars, let alone two these days 😀
John