Time to speed up commute

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
psvrichard

Time to speed up commute

Post by psvrichard »

Hi. I have recently been using Strava to track my progress (or lack of it) on my 3 day a week commute. I very the route to keep it interesting but am finding I am not achieving record times now because my improvement has stalled. On Friday I was cycling at what I thought was a decent 17mph when a road cyclist breezed past me like I wasn't there. I ride a 5 yr old Fuji hybrid. This has happened a fair bit recently. How much extra might a road bike give me? It needs to be robust for the occasional gravel section or pothole. It may well be that I need to accept my age and stick with my bike but I can't help thinking technology isn't helping me too much.
mattsccm

Re: Time to speed up commute

Post by mattsccm »

So many things will contribute. Age won't help unless you are pushing harder to maintain that continual decline. Eg my TT times seem to have peaked in 2019 at the age of 56 . Weird riding schedules these last two years won't have helped but I feel slower :( and my times are still close but not quite as good.
A well set up road bike should be a tad faster. It will be lighter, have decent wheels etc and things like fit and position all contribute.
Start by playing with the hybrid. Good quality tyres with performance not toughness in mind will help as will a more aero position. Ditch all the weight you can and work a bit harder.
Of course m,any here will say why bother or grow old gracefully. Nope. Fight it :D If you fancy a new bike go for it .
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

psvrichard wrote: 16 May 2021, 5:26pm Hi. I have recently been using Strava to track my progress (or lack of it) on my 3 day a week commute. I very the route to keep it interesting but am finding I am not achieving record times now because my improvement has stalled. On Friday I was cycling at what I thought was a decent 17mph when a road cyclist breezed past me like I wasn't there. I ride a 5 yr old Fuji hybrid. This has happened a fair bit recently. How much extra might a road bike give me? It needs to be robust for the occasional gravel section or pothole. It may well be that I need to accept my age and stick with my bike but I can't help thinking technology isn't helping me too much.
A nice gravel bike, with slack geometry, decent sized tyres and mudguards, would allow you to grow old both gracefully and fast.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

You seem to be making comparisons with riders you don't know. They might be top riders. All sorts might improve your speed but that's no guarantee a stronger rider won't cruise by.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

psvrichard wrote: 16 May 2021, 5:26pm Hi. I have recently been using Strava to track my progress (or lack of it) on my 3 day a week commute. I very the route to keep it interesting but am finding I am not achieving record times now because my improvement has stalled. On Friday I was cycling at what I thought was a decent 17mph when a road cyclist breezed past me like I wasn't there. I ride a 5 yr old Fuji hybrid. This has happened a fair bit recently. How much extra might a road bike give me? It needs to be robust for the occasional gravel section or pothole. It may well be that I need to accept my age and stick with my bike but I can't help thinking technology isn't helping me too much.
I got over taken by an old bloke on one of them comical little wheel things the other day, he looked smug I'd done 20 miles and didnt much care much.

All in all it sounds like you need a gravel bike, unfortunely, they are also tied to how fast you can turn the peddles, try turning the pedals faster, you should be able to do at least 30 mph, , then youl be fit enough for a racer
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

What would success consist of? Getting there quicker? Using less energy? Using more energy?

; - )

Jonathan
psvrichard

Post by psvrichard »

Thanks everyone, most interesting.I probably am comparing myself to stronger riders but I do feel that I would like to achieve greater average speeds. Done a few tweaks and hoping for a good ride tomorrow. Will see what this brings before committing to a new bike only to find my performance is broadly similar!
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

At 17mph aerodynamics are pretty important ;) Have a play here to get some ideas?
"42"
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

How far is your commute?

When I last commuted, I did 17miles each way. Lots of downhills on the way in, and lots of uphills on the way home.
My times varied quite a bit, but the fastest in was 42mins and the fastest home 55mins.

All this was very much wind and weather dependent. 17miles in with downhills against the wind could take me 55mins, and you could bet your bottom dollar that the wind had changed 180degs ready for my ride home ........... which could take me an hour and a quarter.

If I tried than now, nearly 30years later, I'd be need a day in bed to recuperate after trying those times! :D

I can do the distances still, just not so quickly.
Age, wind, weather ......... they are the three enemies.
Mick F. Cornwall
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

psvrichard wrote: 17 May 2021, 10:54am Thanks everyone, most interesting.I probably am comparing myself to stronger riders but I do feel that I would like to achieve greater average speeds. Done a few tweaks and hoping for a good ride tomorrow. Will see what this brings before committing to a new bike only to find my performance is broadly similar!
It depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go

Holding high average speeds has more to do with not slowing down, god forbid stopping at traffic lights than your max speed

Super gravel bike and aero every thing will probebly help, but it's a lot of money to save yourself 5 minetes on a commute, I keep catching them up on a mountain bike at the next obstructions/ lights, except the ones who really dont stop for anything

The whole concept makes a lot more sence if your on open country roads, but I'm still not parting with 2k to get to the next cafe 10 mins sooner
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

psvrichard wrote: 17 May 2021, 10:54am Thanks everyone, most interesting.I probably am comparing myself to stronger riders but I do feel that I would like to achieve greater average speeds. Done a few tweaks and hoping for a good ride tomorrow. Will see what this brings before committing to a new bike only to find my performance is broadly similar!

Holding high average speeds has more to do with not slowing down, god forbid stopping at traffic lights than your max speed

Super gravel bike and aero every thing will probebly help, but it's a lot of money to save yourself 5 minetes on a commute, I keep catching them up on a mountain bike at the next obstructions/ lights, except the ones who really dont stop for anything

The whole concept makes a lot more sence if your on open country roads, but I'm still not parting with 2k to get to the next cafe 10 mins sooner
mjr

Post by mjr »

jo' bo wrote: 17 May 2021, 11:28am

Alternatively, you can make your average moving speed look better by leaving braking as late as possible then slamming them on, then sprinting away from the stop, minimising time moving slowly (which trackers count) and maximising time stopped (which they don't). Like most speed-up measures, it has a drawback: misjudge the braking point and you may well end up on the ground and/or in the conflicting traffic!

The same can be said of most things: an extremely aerodynamic stretched out low position may be negated by time off the bike with back, neck or arm injuries, or by simply having to slow down because you cannot look around on junction approaches as easily; blade or disc wheels may be negated by having to slow in crosswinds; lighter tyres may be negated by more punctures; and so on. And then there's stuff that is expensive: would you rather have it than another cake each week?

If any of these were obvious all-purpose "wins" then almost everyone would be using them!

Sometimes I do a bit to improve my aerodynamics, using a lower grip and tucking my elbows in as I cross open fen. Other times, I simply can't be bothered and just spend the extra 4-5 minutes per hour enjoying the view or thinking about stuff as I ride...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

mjr wrote: 17 May 2021, 12:27pm
jo' bo wrote: 17 May 2021, 11:28am

Alternatively, you can make your average moving speed look better by leaving braking as late as possible then slamming them on, then sprinting away from the stop, minimising time moving slowly (which trackers count) and maximising time stopped (which they don't). Like most speed-up measures, it has a drawback: misjudge the braking point and you may well end up on the ground and/or in the conflicting traffic!

The same can be said of most things: an extremely aerodynamic stretched out low position may be negated by time off the bike with back, neck or arm injuries, or by simply having to slow down because you cannot look around on junction approaches as easily; blade or disc wheels may be negated by having to slow in crosswinds; lighter tyres may be negated by more punctures; and so on. And then there's stuff that is expensive: would you rather have it than another cake each week?

If any of these were obvious all-purpose "wins" then almost everyone would be using them!

Sometimes I do a bit to improve my aerodynamics, using a lower grip and tucking my elbows in as I cross open fen. Other times, I simply can't be bothered and just spend the extra 4-5 minutes per hour enjoying the view or thinking about stuff as I ride...
There was a point a few years ago when every journey I did was against a stop watch , but it was a) dangerous b) stressful and c) only marginally faster than pootling along

I'm quite happy with an average of circa 10 mph which aAlso means I can go longer ,which is only a bit slower than the cars go, but I'm never ever in a rush to get where I'm going so that it actually matters beyond,academic intrest , I do occasionally get over taken by old women on Dutch bikes, but my ego can live with that
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

What's the terrain and traffic?

I rarely used to record commutes for the simple reason that it was just utility cycling and there was no real point to trying to go faster or harder or aim for continual improvement. You're always going to hit a point where the only thing to make you faster is to start going down the route of more aero which isn't sensible or sustainable on a commute.

Practicality beats speed so mudguards for example - they don't aid speed but they do aid in keeping me and the bike clean which is more important when i need to put the same clothes on 8hrs later for the return journey!

IME of urban commuting, traffic and traffic lights were the main issues and main factor slowing me down, not fitness. There was certainly no point trying to go all aero when I had a rucksack on! On commutes, concentrate on staying smooth, reading the road and the traffic and maybe, if the journey permits, liven it up by trying a short sprint or something. Leave the quest for improvements for regular riding.

I've done off-road commutes too (largely canal towpaths) and again, while it's possible to batter them sometimes (like crack of dawn), generally there's too many dog walkers, anglers, families etc around to make that a realistic option.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

No-one has mentioned tyres, faster ones may make a difference but may get more punctures, not wanted ever but especially on a commute to work. Then there's clothing and luggage affecting aerodynamics. A road bike may not be most suitable for commuting. Then you have to take into account where the other rider was going and whether they saw you as a target and put in extra effort just whilst passing you.