Data route finding

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
northerncyclist

Data route finding

Post by northerncyclist »

Hi ...I am new to mobile phones and now have a Samsung smartphone that needs a sim card....I want to use the phone for everyday use in the U.K. ...plus route finding in the U.K. and overseas on the bicycle...Also I want to use it for booking accomodation whilst on the go (overseas) and receiving international calls (for example from my bank) .

To keep things on track I am aware maps.me works off line.... I will use wi-fi whenever possible...I dont want to watch films, you tube or play video games etc...My upcoming tours will be to Spain and Thailand and I also know about Covid !!

My question is how much data should I be looking at for cycle touring ?

Many Thanks
Psamathe

Re: Data route finding

Post by Psamathe »

An important aspect is coverage where you spend most o your time (e.g. at home). Different networks provide different coverage and different functionality to "help" provide a service. e.g. I have no mobile coverage in my house, minimal in the garden (unusable). But EE (and a couple of others) support WiFi calling where supported mobile phones transparently switch to using Wi-Fi/internet links to the network rather than phone to network base station). This despite having no GSM coverage at home, I actually have a perfect phone service (discarded my landline a couple of years ago).

So check real world what coverage you have at home and if your chosen network supports e.g. Wi-Fi calling (e.g. O2 for years didn't but instead had their own app that was a complete disaster). Don't rely on the network's own coverage maps.

Also, there are not many networks and quite a few actually run over somebody else's network e.g. Tesco don't have any base stations but run over O2 (used to) but offer different contracts and features.

As to data use it is a "how long is my piece of string". If you are going with a pay monthly contract check with your chosen provider if you can upgrade part way through your contract e.g. my contract is as 18 month contract but I can switch to a more expensive contract part way through that 18 months but can't switch to a cheaper contract. So you may be able to start on lower limits and increase if you find you are using more than expected.

Many many variables e.g. if you use voice/video calls using e.g. WhatsApp or Signal or similar and you are out and about when you need to use it then your data use will be higher.

My understanding is the within the EU mobile networks have stuck with the free roaming but double check and double check about their "fair use" terms (which can mean you don't just get your contract from anywhere in the EU).

In Thailand you will almost certainly not be getting free roaming. When I travelled SE Asia I switched to local SIMs but Thailand has strict rules to prevent burner SIMs and to get even a pay as you go SIM there you have to go to a network shop/office where they will check your ID (passport), take a photo of you and/or your finger prints - not complex but you have to find a shop/office, go there, etc. which takes time. One aspect to consider with local SIMs is how many UK banks now text one-time-pass-codes to your mobile of you try e.g. transfer money to a pre-paid debit card so they'll need your UK number active (but check with your network if receiving texts or receiving calls when in Thailand will be charged for). When I travel I put a charge limit on my pay monthly contract as getting your phone stolen is not unheard of and then risk you'll return home without a phone to a nasty phone bill. If your phone has dual-SIM capability that can make things much easier. If you need to make/receive calls home try to get those you need to talk to to adopt some comms app that runs over Wi-Fi (the Skype, Signal, etc. type apps) so you can communicate home is needed. As a safeguard I installed Skype with £5 pre-pay so I could call UK/French landlines if need be (and found it useful as they didn't charge for SE Asia to UK 0800 numbers and my bank has an 0800 number ...)

Ian
PH

Post by PH »

Just to answer one element of the question - Google maps uses a little under 5MB an hour for navigating. I use it for deliveroo rather than touring, on a phone that's only used for that, and it surprised me how little it uses.
northerncyclist

Post by northerncyclist »

Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed answer Pasamathe..The bank is a major consideration these days for touring. If due to an unexpected circumstance I need to buy an expensive train/ bus ticket etc for sure they will want/ need to phone me......

It is very interesting to know that Google maps uses only 5 mb an hour ph. I thought it would be a lot more..... There is certainly a lot to consider in this and you have both helped me along the way.
Last edited by northerncyclist on 24 May 2021, 1:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Another aspect to consider is coverage when cycle touring. I live rurally and my cycling is in very "variable" coverage and poor GSM coverage can have a big impact on battery life. A few hours recreational ride circular from home is not an issue but touring for longer rides through rural areas and it might become an issue if you are depending on the phone and a data connection.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Re: Thailand: Also depends on what you are doing in Thailand. I was traveling (without bike) and nobody has my local SIM number so most of the time the phone was in Airplane mode and in hostels (in towns and cities) you have free Wi-Fi - so I have no idea what coverage is like (I travelled in buses/trains/taxi's anyway and a metal box affects signal).

If you are just Thailand then getting mug-shot/fingerprints for a local SIM was not hard, just a bit of time. But in Cambodia rural small town getting a local SIM was a challenge - easy because no real regs but complex as no English/French spoken and getting SIM is only one aspect, topping-up another and how you call what numbers on what networks (so top-up with US$1 and key in some magic code on your phone and you suddenly get US$100 credit on your account but that can only be used to call certain number prefixes) ... challenging but it's all really fun as it's through things like that that you meet and communicate with locals and have a good laugh.

Re: EU: make sure whatever network/contract you chose provides you with acceptable free use in European countries you expect to visit.

I use an on-phone app which pre-downloads mapping (e.g. when in SE Asia I pre-downloaded Vietnam, Cambodia, Loas, Thailand and Myanmar before leaving the UK) and it is very very useful e.g. mark a waypoint where the hostel you've booked is and when you arrive in the strange city you can use the offline mapping to find it (taking care with a mobile phone on show in some areas!). I use MapOut but that is iPhone/iPad only but there are equivalents for Android - generally better to find one that uses vector mapping as it takes a lot less storage space and allows far better zoom/detail functionality.

Ian
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

3 do a sim-only deal with unlimited calls and texts and 8Gb of data per month for £10. I would have thought that 8Gb would be enough for general browsing etc. If you're getting a bit low, just find a library, MacDonalds or pub and use their wifi.

I would be more concerned about battery life out in the wild....