Lemmings in cars on Bank holidays

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
eileithyia

Re: Lemmings in cars on Bank holidays

Post by eileithyia »

And it seems it was still continuing yesterday as I heard the morning travel news warning of queues on the M6 to M55 and again on the M55 away from blackpool at 'teatime'.
Even better; last week it was all over the news that Wasdale was listed as being on the UK's 7 wonders along with places like Dovedale. Now Dovedale is a place that gets rammed normally and has parking etc., but last time I went to Wasdale it was a narrow(ish) road up the side of the lake, passing places and minimal places to park...... Local news last night, reported that it was so rammed with abandoned cars, emergency services could not access the area.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Northumberland away from the coast is still empty.
John
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Oldjohnw wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 9:55am Northumberland away from the coast is still empty.
don't tell others this - I like it to myself.

Sadly east of the A1 outside winter is now being ruined by the numbers of visitors. I rarely venture there on the bike now, roads are far too busy for my liking.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ClappedOut wrote: 31 May 2021, 6:51pm :lol: best comment today a child saying we are passing them as a 50-100 car traffic jam and why are they not on a bicycle :lol:
Cycle path in WSM excellent width for pedestrians.
Surface rather poor in places and still no link out north, is there? So I can understand people from further north not cycling via Sandford.
rmurphy195 wrote: 1 Jun 2021, 11:33pm My daughter, who has 2 children aged 5yrs and 15 months, and a husband who is afflicted by long covid, would have found it difficult to take the family on holiday by bicycle to the coast yesterday ...
All the more reason for those who can cycle to cycle and make their hard-to-avoid car journey lessstressful and polluting. I do not believe the twice-weekly 8-lane Avonmouth Bridge Car Park is full of only families containing ill people.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

I,m keeping quiet...about the peace....zzzzzzz.......and quiet.......zzzzzzzzz........of...zz....dumfries and .. zz..galloway.It,s awful,nothing to do,no amusements or nightclubs,no donkey rides,no boat trips,no chippys(well,a few),no bars,nah....don,t bother.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

mjr wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 12:01pm
ClappedOut wrote: 31 May 2021, 6:51pm :lol: best comment today a child saying we are passing them as a 50-100 car traffic jam and why are they not on a bicycle :lol:
Cycle path in WSM excellent width for pedestrians.
Surface rather poor in places and still no link out north, is there? So I can understand people from further north not cycling via Sandford.
rmurphy195 wrote: 1 Jun 2021, 11:33pm My daughter, who has 2 children aged 5yrs and 15 months, and a husband who is afflicted by long covid, would have found it difficult to take the family on holiday by bicycle to the coast yesterday ...
All the more reason for those who can cycle to cycle and make their hard-to-avoid car journey lessstressful and polluting. I do not believe the twice-weekly 8-lane Avonmouth Bridge Car Park is full of only families containing ill people.
:lol:
The cycle path to WSM generally OK on 700 x28 Marathon, there is one part by nature reserve that requires care as rutted as it crosses a road.
The seafront a chaotic sea of morbidly Obese

Uphill cafe bit too expensive for my tastes, so Grove Park suited better. There are also public bicycle pumps allegedly- didn't spot them.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Oldjohnw wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 6:38am I never go anywhere on a bank holiday but I do recognise that this is also half term.
My thoughts too. I stay close to home to avoid the crowding, but families seize the opportunity to get away with the kids.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

cyclop wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 4:12pm I,m keeping quiet...about the peace....zzzzzzz.......and quiet.......zzzzzzzzz........of...zz....dumfries and .. zz..galloway.It,s awful,nothing to do,no amusements or nightclubs,no donkey rides,no boat trips,no chippys(well,a few),no bars,nah....don,t bother.
Schhh :D
I take it you weren’t at the rave in the Ae then
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Paulatic wrote: 4 Jun 2021, 8:14am
cyclop wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 4:12pm I,m keeping quiet...about the peace....zzzzzzz.......and quiet.......zzzzzzzzz........of...zz....dumfries and .. zz..galloway.It,s awful,nothing to do,no amusements or nightclubs,no donkey rides,no boat trips,no chippys(well,a few),no bars,nah....don,t bother.
Schhh :D
I take it you weren’t at the rave in the Ae then
They,re getting closer...may have to move even further North(or west,Mull of Galloway?).There,s no escape!!!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Good luck

https://www.visitsouthwestscotland.com/ ... swc300map/

(have we had this conversation elsewhere?)
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

One of the things lockdown showed is that living outside a tourist area has major benefits. Nice living somewhere not marketed and Instagrammed to death.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

mattheus wrote: 4 Jun 2021, 3:08pm
Good luck

https://www.visitsouthwestscotland.com/ ... swc300map/

(have we had this conversation elsewhere?)
I don,t think so.SW coast 300.......ideal on the,virtually singletrack ,mull of Galloway lanes to the lighthouse.Well,at least I know where to avoid,plenty of quiet lanes elsewhere.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

peetee wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 8:34am I still find it incredible that people are prepared to travel such distances by car at such a late time in the morning. If I was faced with a 60+ mile car journey to the coast (London to Bournemouth/Brighton, for example) there is no way I would leave later than 8am. If the family couldn’t manage that I would tell em “Either we do or we’re not going!”. Many times I have spent days riding in the New Forest and seen hundreds of cars on the A35 queuing towards Bournemouth way past lunchtime.
When I used to do the holiday run from Hampshire to Cornwall the kids were lifted from their beds into the car in their pyjamas at 5 or 6am, still dozing, for a totally traffic-free, stressless drive and arrival at 10am and a whole extra day to enjoy.
I know lifestyles and commitments can get in the way for many people but surely the point of a day at the coast is to leave all the daily grind and stress behind? By leaving ‘late’ you are multiplying that stress a thousandfold. This sort of thing has been happening for decades and I can hear the comments of all the thousands of drivers now as they approach the queues; “Oh no, look at the traffic!”
You ARE the traffic!
Many years ago, when the children were younger, my wife's late uncle owned a farm in Donegal which we used to visit at the start of the summer hols, usually taking the ferry from Stranraer. We used the 9am-ish Saturday ferry from Stranraer to get a nice overnight journey from Brum, breakfast at Stranraer (Morrisons cafe near the port). I'd get home from work, shower, load the car (bikes on the back) and go to bed until about midnight, then off we went. Quet and clear run up the motorway, sunrise at 3am further north, Creetown/Newton Stuart looked great at around 6am! Only shame is, the children were asleep through some of the best bits! No traffic at all, and nice and cool (no aircon in those days). On the other side the run around Derry was a bit tooo exciting at times ...
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !