Lemmings in cars on Bank holidays

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ClappedOut

Lemmings in cars on Bank holidays

Post by ClappedOut »

:lol: best comment today a child saying we are passing them as a 50-100 car traffic jam and why are they not on a bicycle :lol:
Cycle path in WSM excellent width for pedestrians.

Amazing the both accomodating and narrow minded motorists who didn't like sitting in a traffic jam in chosen mode of transportation.
rmurphy195

Re: Lemmings in cars on Bank holidays

Post by rmurphy195 »

My daughter, who has 2 children aged 5yrs and 15 months, and a husband who is afflicted by long covid, would have found it difficult to take the family on holiday by bicycle to the coast yesterday ...
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

rmurphy195 wrote: 1 Jun 2021, 11:33pm My daughter, who has 2 children aged 5yrs and 15 months, and a husband who is afflicted by long covid, would have found it difficult to take the family on holiday by bicycle to the coast yesterday ...
Many other weekends for Tourist's to visit, but it is a pack mentality to take the family to sit on M5 car park and then moan when a tandem goes by. We had some who made room for us to pull in and others deliberately close gaps-either way 100 plus cars passed.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I never go anywhere on a bank holiday but I do recognise that this is also half term.
John
peetee

Post by peetee »

I still find it incredible that people are prepared to travel such distances by car at such a late time in the morning. If I was faced with a 60+ mile car journey to the coast (London to Bournemouth/Brighton, for example) there is no way I would leave later than 8am. If the family couldn’t manage that I would tell em “Either we do or we’re not going!”. Many times I have spent days riding in the New Forest and seen hundreds of cars on the A35 queuing towards Bournemouth way past lunchtime.
When I used to do the holiday run from Hampshire to Cornwall the kids were lifted from their beds into the car in their pyjamas at 5 or 6am, still dozing, for a totally traffic-free, stressless drive and arrival at 10am and a whole extra day to enjoy.
I know lifestyles and commitments can get in the way for many people but surely the point of a day at the coast is to leave all the daily grind and stress behind? By leaving ‘late’ you are multiplying that stress a thousandfold. This sort of thing has been happening for decades and I can hear the comments of all the thousands of drivers now as they approach the queues; “Oh no, look at the traffic!”
You ARE the traffic!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

peetee wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 8:34am I still find it incredible that people are prepared to travel such distances by car at such a late time in the morning. If I was faced with a 60+ mile car journey to the coast (London to Bournemouth/Brighton, for example) there is no way I would leave later than 8am. If the family couldn’t manage that I would tell em “Either we do or we’re not going!”. Many times I have spent days riding in the New Forest and seen hundreds of cars on the A35 queuing towards Bournemouth way past lunchtime.
When I used to do the holiday run from Hampshire to Cornwall the kids were lifted from their beds into the car in their pyjamas at 5 or 6am, still dozing, for a totally traffic-free, stressless drive and arrival at 10am and a whole extra day to enjoy.
I know lifestyles and commitments can get in the way for many people but surely the point of a day at the coast is to leave all the daily grind and stress behind? By leaving ‘late’ you are multiplying that stress a thousandfold. This sort of thing has been happening for decades and I can hear the comments of all the thousands of drivers now as they approach the queues; “Oh no, look at the traffic!”
You ARE the traffic!
We have travelled over night as cool and traffic free where possible - last European run 8pm from Cote de Azur to London.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

It was no better on the M6/M61, as the lemmings all went off to Blackpool or the Lakes. We went out to a local cycle cafe and had a walk on a nearby canal path followed by ice cream (rehab walk from broken tib). Yesterday was no better as we had to go north side of Preston at tea time and the M55 joining the M6 was choc-a-block as they all left Blackpool en masse.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Lemmings are cute. And fierce. And they don't swarm or jump off cliffs in mass events, as lemming mythology would suggest.

I am quite sure that they don't use cars.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Vorpal wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 10:41am Lemmings are cute. And fierce. And they don't swarm or jump off cliffs in mass events, as lemming mythology would suggest.

I am quite sure that they don't use cars.
Damn, you have broken the illusion :lol:
After seeing Brian dog family guy driving kids to school in family guy- dreaming our dog will take the initiative :lol:

Maybe red dwarf cat another option :mrgreen:
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

peetee wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 8:34am I still find it incredible that people are prepared to travel such distances by car at such a late time in the morning. If I was faced with a 60+ mile car journey to the coast (London to Bournemouth/Brighton, for example) there is no way I would leave later than 8am.
I recall many years ago hearing an announcement on the radio suggesting Bank Holiday travellers should 'stagger their journeys by going at different times' in order to avoid the jams........... What if they all decided on the same time :roll: , how would they know when the others were going? :lol: :lol:
Gave me a laugh anyway.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

If I go to the Lakes for my leisure time, it is because I think its the nicest place available; not because other people go there.
So nothing to do with the (mythical) "lemming" behaviour.

If I go when it's busy it's because I'm lazy or disorganised; nothing to do with the (mythical) "lemming" behaviour.

(as an aside - even the great Wainwright moaned about the other people enjoying his Lakeland fells. Yes, the chap who sold guide-books to those same hills ... )
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

mattheus wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 12:48pm If I go to the Lakes for my leisure time, it is because I think its the nicest place available; not because other people go there.
So nothing to do with the (mythical) "lemming" behaviour.

If I go when it's busy it's because I'm lazy or disorganised; nothing to do with the (mythical) "lemming" behaviour.

(as an aside - even the great Wainwright moaned about the other people enjoying his Lakeland fells. Yes, the chap who sold guide-books to those same hills ... )
Epic :lol:
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

peetee wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 8:34am I still find it incredible that people are prepared to travel such distances by car at such a late time in the morning. If I was faced with a 60+ mile car journey to the coast (London to Bournemouth/Brighton, for example) there is no way I would leave later than 8am. If the family couldn’t manage that I would tell em “Either we do or we’re not going!”. Many times I have spent days riding in the New Forest and seen hundreds of cars on the A35 queuing towards Bournemouth way past lunchtime.
You ARE the traffic!
Absolutely agree.
We did this as kids - driving away on summer holidays we'd head up to the grandparents first for a few days and then on to Scotland or the Lake District usually and my Mum would have us on the road by 6am.

Some friends (in London) had a holiday cottage in Scotland and they'd drive through the night, both parents taking it in turns. Kids would be asleep almost all journey. Set off at 9pm, maybe 4 stops at services on the way to change drivers, arrive in Scotland at 8am and spend some time unwinding on the beach.
PH

Post by PH »

I wonder how many people sat in cars watching the cyclists and not understanding why they'd do that?
There's plenty of cyclists who'll spend longer driving to & from a bike ride than actually riding, I'd rather people didn't drive unnecessarily, but it's their choice to define what is necessary.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

Bank holiday traffic you say?😆