Blown Off By (Hoverboard) Big Wheel Scooter!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Blown Off By (Hoverboard) Big Wheel Scooter!

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
But they're the only ones who have authority to arrest and Confiscate vehicles.

It will only need the media to highlight a case of injury or death.
Might happen tomorrow might take five years but I reckon in five years from now things will have changed dramatically meaning you won't be able to use these on the road or a public space at all.

Even though business operators are pushing to legalise them ASAP!
No chance I.M.O.
The difference is that road users have to have insurance tax and MOT's.
Some road users are saying that cyclists should not be on the road because they don't have any of this.
Cyclists on the road are legal' unregistered vehicles or not
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bmblbzzz

Re: Blown Off By Big Wheel Scooter!

Post by Bmblbzzz »

philsknees wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 9:48am Was crossing a major dual carriageway out of Manchester the other day, at traffic lights. As the lights were about to change in my favour I spotted a young teenager illegally hurtling along the main carriageway(my side) on a 2 wheel electric scooter which had obviously been de-restricted as it was almost keeping up with traffic in a 40mph limit. He obviously thought he was the bees-knees until the lights changed as he approached them. He braked and a look of horror appeared on his face as he shot up the inside of the braking traffic, hardly able to scrub off any speed. Fortunately there was little crossing traffic and I managed to hold back those behind me as the kid shot past the red light, failed in his attempt at a running dismount and was dragged to the floor as he determinedly held on to his pride and joy as it slid across my bows.
Hopefully a dose of gravel rash and the nasty shock he had will keep him off the roads in future but if he'd been there a little earlier, in the rush hour, or encountered someone more trusting of a green light than me, he'd be dead...............
Curious tale. Please elaborate on "[he] was dragged to the floor as he determinedly held on to his pride and joy as it slid across my bows."
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Hi Bmblbzzz: The kid bailed off his scooter as he went through the red light but clearly couldn't run fast enough to match his speed over the ground, so took a tumble forward, keeping one hand on the 'bars rather than letting go, pulling the scooter down with him. The scooter then swung ahead of him giving me the impression at the time that it was dragging him along but thinking about it, I suppose it merely had a lower coefficient of friction than softer human tissue(!) and so took the lead........
( I've never had my hands on an electric scooter but assume in reality one wouldn't be heavy enough to actually drag a teenager along.)

Yep, curious but that's what occurred. I'm seeing illegal use of electric scooters round here (South M/cr) almost daily, both on the road and on pavements, largely by teenagers but occasionally by commuters. I'm just waiting for a serious accident.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I was out last night on my bike and I saw my mate in the usual place he was at a reduced speed maybe, maybe he now realises that you need to take a bit more care I don't know after me making my presence felt to him?
basically I just want for myself some type of reflective surface on anything that is dark brown and moves around in an unlit space.
The other day I saw some glowing eyes, first thought is A fox a cat, but it can be dogs depending on which way they are facing, so two black labradors with its owner holding onto one by the collar with her finger. You don't need a lot of reflective surface on something for it to shine out quite brightly when you have cycle lights on.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

@Philsknees, clear now, thanks. I guess the weight must vary by model but can't be more than 20kg tops, probably nearer 15. Hopefully he'll fix his brakes now! Still, at least he wasn't jumping the lights in a car...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think all these small, personal transport machines should be encouraged. They are far better than cars, and the more people are using them, the fewer are in their cars.

The carnage would have be terrible before you would convince me otherwise.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Vorpal wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 11:51am I think all these small, personal transport machines should be encouraged. They are far better than cars, and the more people are using them, the fewer are in their cars.

The carnage would have be terrible before you would convince me otherwise.
The problem comes when any age person mounts up and moves at above average fit cyclist speed.
They normally have no road sense because they have no experience in such.
I think they are good green and the way forward, but maybe speed - age of user and where they are used needs some sort or regs?
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Have to agree with both Vorpal & Natural Ankling's views above. In the 70's(?) I witnessed a pre-teens kid, riding a very fast Roy Cooper pedal-powered Kart on the pavement, hit and hospitalise an already disabled pensioner. (Sorry, I've been unable to post an image of the kart but it's worth Googling a picture - it's the rusting but sleek red tubular-framed job. It seems the modern day desired equivalent is the electric scooter or, more disturbingly, unregistered quad-bikes, which are becoming another seasonal favourite of teenagers on roads around here!)
However desirable their introduction may be for the environent, it's clear that most youngsters (& clearly some adults!) have no conception of what damage such things can do to them, and others, when in the hands of the inexperienced and there is a strong argument for control their (mis)use, which means either licensing/registration or else an outright (and enforced!) ban on their use. I'd presume compulsory insurance would then soon follow if registration was adopted, which would clearly be an ominous development for the future of cycling........
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

A universal (not restricted to vehicles) third-party insurance scheme could easily be instituted funded through taxation if the political will were there. New Zealand has or used to have a similar scheme.
jb

Post by jb »

Seems odd that the world is concerned about lithium shortages for EV's but it continues to be used in all sorts of frivolous stuff. Assuming it is lithium.
They should be restricted to using Eveready 'D' types only.
Cheers
J Bro
mjr

Post by mjr »

jb wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 11:59am Seems odd that the world is concerned about lithium shortages for EV's but it continues to be used in all sorts of frivolous stuff. Assuming it is lithium.
They should be restricted to using Eveready 'D' types only.
An e-scooter could be a lot less frivolous lithium use than an e-car. I agree that this may be a constraint on EV uptake: will people share cars more, or will there be pressure for continued dirty engines? Is anyone doing the maths for how much lithium would be needed for a 1-1 replacement of dirty engines with e-cars?

I agree with above posters about e-scooter regulation. A speed limit of running speed, lights and some standard marking seem like good ideas. Any effort beyond that would probably be best spent regulating or enforcing against heavier vehicles.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.