and what YOU have done to improve your favorite path ???

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cowsham

Re: and what YOU have done to improve your favorite path ???

Post by Cowsham »

Sorry for the thread drift -- someone get it back on track quick!
I am here. Where are you?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

forbas wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 2:47pm
mattheus wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 2:32pm Good work. It's very satisfying, isn't it??
Yes it is, especially when I can cruise downhill this path with 40km/h+ not like before slowing down to zero and ducking :-)
Hahaha
Pete Owens wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 4:34pm
forbas wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 1:18pm I bought special garden scissors and decided to clear them up for my own and other fellow cyclist's benefit.
And for the benefit of pedestrians you could stop riding on the pavement - whether or not some muppet from the council has put up a blue sign permitting it .
Quite.Especially at 40+kmph.Unless it's a designated cyclepeath then riding on pavements is illegal.

On the subject of taxes.The roads/maintainence are paid for by income tax/council tax so any cyclist that pays those also pays for the roads.
Stop fuelling the anti-cycling brigade and their 'I pay road tax' rubbish!!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Hellhound wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:26pm
mattheus wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 2:32pm Good work. It's very satisfying, isn't it??
Yes it is, especially when I can cruise downhill this path with 40km/h+ not like before slowing down to zero and ducking :-)
Hahaha
forbas wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 1:18pm I bought special garden scissors and decided to clear them up for my own and other fellow cyclist's benefit.
And for the benefit of pedestrians you could stop riding on the pavement - whether or not some muppet from the council has put up a blue sign permitting it .
Quite.Especially at 40+kmph.Unless it's a designated cyclepeath then riding on pavements is illegal.

On the subject of taxes.The roads/maintainence are paid for by income tax/council tax so any cyclist that pays those also pays for the roads.
Then what's road tax for?
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:34pmThen what's road tax for?
"Hypothecation was formally ended by the Finance Act 1936."
https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/re ... s/sn01482/

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cowsham wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:34pm

First tax payment when you register the vehicle

You’ll pay a rate based on a vehicle’s CO2 emissions the first time it’s registered.

This also applies to some motorhomes.

You have to pay a higher rate for diesel cars that do not meet the Real Driving Emissions 2 (RDE2) standard for nitrogen oxide emissions. You can ask your car’s manufacturer if your car meets the RDE2 standard.
CO2 emissions Diesel cars (TC49) that meet the RDE2 standard and petrol cars (TC48) All other diesel cars (TC49) Alternative fuel cars (TC59)
0g/km £0 £0 £0
1 to 50g/km £10 £25 £0
51 to 75g/km £25 £115 £15
76 to 90g/km £115 £140 £105
91 to 100g/km £140 £160 £130
101 to 110g/km £160 £180 £150
111 to 130g/km £180 £220 £170
131 to 150g/km £220 £555 £210
151 to 170g/km £555 £895 £545
171 to 190g/km £895 £1,345 £885
191 to 225g/km £1,345 £1,910 £1,335
226 to 255g/km £1,910 £2,245 £1,900
Over 255g/km £2,245 £2,245 £2,235
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

It seems it is to pay for air pollution.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Hahaha

Road Tax was abolished in 1936.The term is incorrectly used especially by pro-car/antli-cycling groups/forums.
It's current title is 'Emmisions duty'.
So next time a motorist tells you 'cyclists don't pay road tax but I do' you can inform them that neither do they :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Hellhound wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:48pm

Road Tax was abolished in 1936.The term is incorrectly used especially by pro-car/antli-cycling groups/forums.
It's current title is 'Emmisions duty'.
So next time a motorist tells you 'cyclists don't pay road tax but I do' you can inform them that neither do they :D
And they are vanishingly unlikely to ever have done so (since they'd need to have been old enough in 1936, they'd have to be over a hundred now).

Of course various other drivers don't pay VED either - disabled drivers, drivers of very old vehicles, drivers of very low emission vehicles.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

...Your council tax pays for the up keep and construction of adopted footways, cycleways, and adopted roads c, b and a class....however in real terms we are probably spending less on roads than we did ten years ago....
However it does not include motorways or trunk roads of national importance, which are maintained by central government. Any money which goes to central government, whether its through vehicle exercise duty, or value added tax may be spent on these roads or nuclear submarines or the national census or anything else....
It's time to go :-)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

not the same but similar - the team came with their strimmers and removed all the 'weeds' on the islands that border the car parking where I live - revealing the ton of rubbish left there over the last 365 days, by the students attending the adjacent college, after they've had their plastic&aluminium-wrapped lunch. This is exactly what I love to moan about given half a chance - not students dumping rubbish but the unintended consequences of our modern service industry. Some unengaged, disinterested drone comes along and does (a reasonably adequate) job of the annual weed-control strim, and the end result is worse than if they'd left it alone, in that the full grown plants hid all the rubbish.
Anyway, along comes the hero of the hour, that is of course my good self, and picks up all the rubbish - which in itself is only half-a-job 'cos I only did the island immedeately outside my front door and didn't do the same job on all the other islands... oh dear.
But the OP makes a good point, which is you can either moan like fury or else, step up & do it... I shall pop secateurs into my saddle-bag, this instant!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:37am
pete75 wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 11:04pm
mjr wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 9:22pm No, as many cyclists still pay tax on a car they don't even use much.
Then they're fools. Why have a vehicle with expensive costs like tax, insurance and depreciation if you don't use it much? Might be more sensible to hire a vehicle when needed..
Car hire companies are far away and pretty awful to deal with (slow collection and hidden charges, amongst other problems), so maybe 90 minutes overhead for each pickup and 45 fo dropoff makes it more expensive than a low CO2 tax and low mileage insurance, as well as obviously less convienient.

If I lived in a city with a car share system, I doubt I would keep a car, but few villages have them yet.
Good grief. You've been dealing with some very odd car hire firms.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 7:25pm Good grief. You've been dealing with some very odd car hire firms.
Probably. I've hired from most of the majors (and some small ones) except maybe sixt, but the good ones don't last long around here. They seem to get undercut by the dodgy and close down. Europcar closed a few years ago.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.