E Scooter accident

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jdsk

Re: E Scooter accident

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 8:39pm It seems that the legislative basis of the current trials is temporary exemption from those regs.
"Proposed regulatory changes to allow trials"
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... low-trials

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The regs which create the temporary exemptions to permit the trials are here.

The Electric Scooter Trials and Traffic Signs (Coronavirus) Regulations and General Directions 2020

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/663/made

(All it needs is the relevant existing legislation to hand and the patience to edit them in accordance with that statutory instrument. Why they cannot publish something with the amendments shown is a mystery.)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for that.

Jonathan
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Surely they need a design feature that, at the very least, makes 2 up use ridiculously uncomfortable if not impossible? Despite the best will in the world they are never going to be used responsibly by so may users that some form limitation is needed. Ok, it may stop the odd user but so what. It's a tough world.
PH

Post by PH »

I don't know what's wrong with them being used two up, it's a common sight on a bike in countries where cycling is more normal, probably less hazardous on a scooter that can be stepped off as the speed drops.
PH

Post by PH »

LollyKat wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 6:27pm I nearly sent one young lad under a car when he silently overtook me from behind just as I manoeuvred the baby buggy round a broken drain cover in the pavement. :shock:
I think that's quite typical, in that the main danger is to themselves. Apart from the truly reckless who would be so on any machine, most users seem pretty aware of their vulnerability.
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 8:56pm The regs which create the temporary exemptions to permit the trials are here.

The Electric Scooter Trials and Traffic Signs (Coronavirus) Regulations and General Directions 2020

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/663/made

(All it needs is the relevant existing legislation to hand and the patience to edit them in accordance with that statutory instrument. Why they cannot publish something with the amendments shown is a mystery.)
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/200 ... gulation/4 has the amendments shown. I did not check all amended by The Electric Scooter Trials and Traffic Signs (Coronavirus) Regulations and General Directions 2020.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Thanks for that.

The main point seems to remain that the various trials seem to permit various .. er .... variations. It remains to be seen how much real evaluation there will be of the trials or whether it's thin-end-of-the-wedge marketing. Somebody commented on how numerous these machines are. I only remember seeing one, which is presumably because I don't live in a trial area and various lockdowns have curtailed my travel to the places where they do. (I fancy York is the nearest for me.)
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

PH wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 10:33pm I don't know what's wrong with them being used two up, it's a common sight on a bike in countries where cycling is more normal...
The ones I saw recently in Walthamstow were mostly parents taking their children to school - much better than driving them. Probably encouraged by “school streets” banning cars at drop-off/collection times.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Does anybody doubt that these will be the next big thing? Apart from anything else, for fairly short commute-type journeys they sound ideal and with greater convenience than a bike in terms of things like taking on public transport or stowing in a boot.
GayUnicorn

Post by GayUnicorn »

thirdcrank wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 9:25am Does anybody doubt that these will be the next big thing? Apart from anything else, for fairly short commute-type journeys they sound ideal and with greater convenience than a bike in terms of things like taking on public transport or stowing in a boot.
I would like a more Brompton size wheel and your right parking somewhere and riding to destination sounds great.

Personal ownership would need some sort of storage locker system perhaps.

The problem with all the schemes seems is winter weather making mass take up variable.

Heated grips anyone?

For the use would be interested in to next town for a coffee, lunch or small items or service like a haircut perhaps.

More on road cycle lanes would be better as scooter and arctic lorry frightening.
Keeping off pavement very wise.
millimole

Post by millimole »

thirdcrank wrote:Does anybody doubt that these will be the next big thing? Apart from anything else, for fairly short commute-type journeys they sound ideal and with greater convenience than a bike in terms of things like taking on public transport or stowing in a boot.
I can see the attraction, and I'm glad these trials are taking place. But I see these scooters as a short term fad / interim technology to the next big thing (whatever that is).
I can't help feeling that they are a triumph of marketing as opposed to practical transport for the masses. Something that copes with real world road surfaces, yet retaining foldability will come along.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
mjr

Post by mjr »

millimole wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 6:00pm Something that copes with real world road surfaces, yet retaining foldability will come along.
e-brompton with throttle? Because if less stable e-scooters are allowed, is the objection to e-bikes that don't require pedalling (but encourage it by rewarding you with greater range) still tenable?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

millimole wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 6:00pm
thirdcrank wrote:Does anybody doubt that these will be the next big thing? Apart from anything else, for fairly short commute-type journeys they sound ideal and with greater convenience than a bike in terms of things like taking on public transport or stowing in a boot.
I can see the attraction, and I'm glad these trials are taking place. But I see these scooters as a short term fad / interim technology to the next big thing (whatever that is).
I can't help feeling that they are a triumph of marketing as opposed to practical transport for the masses. Something that copes with real world road surfaces, yet retaining foldability will come along.
Possibly, though the uptake has been enough to convince me that the transport revolution won't be pedal powered. They didn't come out of nowhere, there have been several failed predecessors, Segways, hoverboards and the like, none of which had anything like the same impact. Part of the appeal has been the familiarity with the concept, a large proportion of the users were brought up using unpowered scooters.
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 6:15pm
millimole wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 6:00pm Something that copes with real world road surfaces, yet retaining foldability will come along.
e-brompton with throttle? Because if less stable e-scooters are allowed, is the objection to e-bikes that don't require pedalling (but encourage it by rewarding you with greater range) still tenable?
I think we'll end up with one classification, because the discrepancies just become daft.