E Scooter accident

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
GayUnicorn

E Scooter accident

Post by GayUnicorn »

Grumpy-Grandad

Re: E Scooter accident

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

A passenger on an e scooter? Crazy.
Steve
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Note the factor that the headline doesn't mention.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 11:14am Note the factor that the headline doesn't mention.
The VW Golf also in the collision?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

TTBOMK we don't know what happened and we don't know what sort of vehicle is described as an "e-scooter".

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Went into town yesterday for a wander round the nice cool museum and an ice-cream afterwards :-) Noted in passing that there are Voi scooters everywhere now, many with two-up. Their speed is modest ('specially up Park Street!) and I can't see any problem really, except for the learning curve involved getting used to their near-silent approach. Every single journey undertaken by non-car use a plus as far as I'm concerned.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 11:15am
Bmblbzzz wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 11:14am Note the factor that the headline doesn't mention.
The VW Golf also in the collision?
Bingo!

Is anyone surprised?
PH

Post by PH »

I hope both rider and passenger make a full recovery.
I doubt every road injury in the Wolverhampton area gets the same coverage, it certainly doesn't here.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonineaston wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 11:16am Went into town yesterday for a wander round the nice cool museum and an ice-cream afterwards :-) Noted in passing that there are Voi scooters everywhere now, many with two-up. Their speed is modest ('specially up Park Street!) and I can't see any problem really, except for the learning curve involved getting used to their near-silent approach. Every single journey undertaken by non-car use a plus as far as I'm concerned.
Coming back into town on Saturday evening after a long day ride, one of the notable sights was all the young people (most looked to be in their twenties) heading out on e-scooters. Tend to ride in little flocks, many two up, and most of those two up had a young man steering with his damsel clinging on to him. Kind of traditional, but romance isn't dead. Cos if you're heading out for a fun night with your mates and boy/girlfriend, why leave them behind? And when they're heading home at the end of the night, perhaps a little tipsy (or perhaps quite inebriated), would you rather they were on a 15kg vehicle that does 15mph or at the wheel of a car?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 11:24am Tend to ride in little flocks, many two up, and most of those two up had a young man steering with his damsel clinging on to him. Kind of traditional, but romance isn't dead. Cos if you're heading out for a fun night with your mates and boy/girlfriend, why leave them behind?
Do you think the "damsel" really prefers to cling rather than steer her own, or is there gender stereotyping or peer pressure going on? But maybe there aren't enough of them to hire one each, or they'd rather have the hire fee to spend later in the evening.

The trial e-scooters are intended for only one person at a time. That maybe needs reconsidering, with a required higher maximum load capacity for future e-scooters (including private ones), as there's very likely to be two-up riding.

I only just read that the limit is 15mph in line with e-bikes. I'm surprised it wasn't set slightly lower to encourage e-bike use and stealthily increase the amount of exercise people get.
Last edited by mjr on 14 Jun 2021, 3:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

E-scooters and e-bikes are substantially similar in terms of dimensions and uses, so I think it makes sense to adopt the same maximum speed. You could even argue for a higher speed for scooters as they have no way of exceeding the motor's maximum speed with pedal power (though I'd still argue in favour of alignment). Scooters are allowed more powerful motors though, apparently to reduce charging frequency, and this is something that I think has also been extended to cargo bikes and trikes; if it hasn't, I think it should be.

I think you mean a higher maximum load requirement? I can't see the need for a minimum load requirement unless it were an attempt to stop them being ridden by children (which would be very difficult to do without also ruling out lighter adults). Anyway, yes, I'd agree they should all be constructed to safely hold two adults and a bit of luggage. So far, I haven't seen or heard any problems from two-up riding.

And there's a reason I used the word "damsel"!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

There's a couple of typical Voi users in a next door flat and we were chatting about the whole deal and their pov was that as your licence details are part of the sign-up deal, they didn't see them as any different to a car viz-ah-vee drink-driving - that is to say, they said that using one inebriated was a no-no, which I thought was interesting/encouraging! although whether that'll change after a coupleof years if it transpires that there simply aren't any prosecutions.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 12:07pm E-scooters and e-bikes are substantially similar in terms of dimensions and uses, so I think it makes sense to adopt the same maximum speed. You could even argue for a higher speed for scooters as they have no way of exceeding the motor's maximum speed with pedal power (though I'd still argue in favour of alignment).
But braking performance is surely much poorer - much smaller wheels, reduced stability.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonineaston wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 12:13pm There's a couple of typical Voi users in a next door flat and we were chatting about the whole deal and their pov was that as your licence details are part of the sign-up deal, they didn't see them as any different to a car viz-ah-vee drink-driving - that is to say, they said that using one inebriated was a no-no, which I thought was interesting/encouraging! although whether that'll change after a coupleof years if it transpires that there simply aren't any prosecutions.
Well, you'd have to be caught before you were prosecuted...

There is probably a much higher chance of this happening on a scooter than while driving due to the visibility of the vehicle (both in the sense that it's still new and attracts attention, and that you can't hide behind the windows) but I'd guesstimate it at way less than 50%.

The point though is that it's surely way better in terms of consequences to be drunk on a scooter (or bike) than driving a car. And if I were a worried parent, I'd rather my offspring were wobbling home on a scooter (or bike) than walking home vulnerable to all sorts of late night aggro or burning money on taxis.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

way better in terms of consequences to be drunk on a scooter
I suppose it depends on how much under a lorry you end up...
S