E Scooter accident

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bmblbzzz

Re: E Scooter accident

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Yeah, driving home drunk in a lorry would be even worse.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

They recently implemented some new rules in Norway. They include
-hire firms can set a minimum age for use
-e-scooter users must give priority to pedestrians on footways & shared use facilities
-only one person per scooter (no passengers)
-manufacturers must limit the maximum speed that can be achieved with the motor to 20 kph
-do not operate an e-scooter whilst intoxicated
-an e-scooter is treated as a bicycle in law & users must follow all traffic regulations that apply to pedal cyclists
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

As for not riding these drunk, I am fairly sure that if they were around when I was a student, my last words would have been:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2rnD4GSS8U

...whilst I went fleeing down the Cowgate at 3am.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Just coming back to the idea of a floor or threshold for the maximum weight load, and to what that maximum load is – presumably there is one as there is for bikes, but as for bikes, most people have no idea what it is. I've heard of a couple of instances where for bikes it's been as low as 80kg, and while I'd expect for most bikes it's much higher, I've never seen it in any literature for a bike I've had. These scooters are almost exclusively used (at the moment) by fairly young people, so it's probably safe-ish to say that if the scooter will hold one "mamil" it will probably hold two fun lovin' studes. Of course handling isn't quite as simple as that but certainly the thing's not going to have its structure or brakes overwhelmed. Probably...
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 12:07pm E-scooters and e-bikes are substantially similar in terms of dimensions and uses, so I think it makes sense to adopt the same maximum speed.
I'm not sure. You're very much stood on an e-scooter, so you may stand a chance of jumping off and running rather than falling as long as you're not going too fast, which is rarely an option for an e-bike that you very much ride, plus the handlebars, panniers and frame may sometimes help, such as I've had a car hit my handlebars when they would have hit me on an e-scooter.
I think you mean a higher maximum load requirement?
Yes, clumsy wording. I've changed it, but basically the idea of a floor for maximum load capacity that is mentioned in later posts. A minimum for maximum capacity, if you will.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 3:36pm
I think you mean a higher maximum load requirement?
Yes, clumsy wording. I've changed it, but basically the idea of a floor for maximum load capacity that is mentioned in later posts. A minimum for maximum capacity, if you will.
Yes, I realized what you meant, a "minimum of the maximum". It's surprising we don't have a single word for this concept – or if we do, that it isn't more widely known.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 3:36pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 12:07pm E-scooters and e-bikes are substantially similar in terms of dimensions and uses, so I think it makes sense to adopt the same maximum speed.
I'm not sure. You're very much stood on an e-scooter, so you may stand a chance of jumping off and running rather than falling as long as you're not going too fast, which is rarely an option for an e-bike that you very much ride, plus the handlebars, panniers and frame may sometimes help, such as I've had a car hit my handlebars when they would have hit me on an e-scooter.
If you're thinking in terms of potential injuries to the vehicle occupant that might be a valid conclusion, but that's very much a seat belts and airbags approach. Follow it any further and you'd restrict cycling to (say) 15mph, not allow horse riders to canter let alone gallop and even running could be restricted. In the way the vehicle behaves in traffic and in the damage it might do to someone hit by it, it seems more like a bicycle than anything else we currently have. Not identical of course but close.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 4:00pm If you're thinking in terms of potential injuries to the vehicle occupant that might be a valid conclusion, but that's very much a seat belts and airbags approach. Follow it any further and you'd restrict cycling to (say) 15mph, not allow horse riders to canter let alone gallop and even running could be restricted. [...]
I wonder what the reasoning was for increasing the motoring speed limit to 20mph in 1903 and removing it completely in 1930 (Road Traffic Act), and whether similar logic could be followed for e-scooters or e-bikes, but I don't have time to dig around in Hansard and so on just now.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I was visiting my daughter's family in Walthamstow recently - there were non-hire e-scooters everywhere, some on roads but mostly on pavements. A lot were two-up, with parents taking their kids to school, while many others were ridden by young teens - I assumed they had been legalised!

I nearly sent one young lad under a car when he silently overtook me from behind just as I manoeuvred the baby buggy round a broken drain cover in the pavement. :shock:
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Comment seen elsewhere: "So, to not drive, I will have to pay to learn to drive a car and obtain a car licence, before I am allowed to ride a scooter"
GayUnicorn

Post by GayUnicorn »

So if these are ridden like lunatics is it furious riding like the London cyclist and old carriage law?

It seems odd you need a car licence and they are not either licence free or points.

If a parent let's children use a hire scooter, what offence would it be?

Just seems a hot mess
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

They're motor vehicles, and relevant legislation applies.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ansporters

Jonathan
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Yet e-bikes are not. An anomaly that will surely lead to endless arguments?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It seems that the legislative basis of the current trials is temporary exemption from those regs. Presumably the experience gained from trials will form the basis of new regulations, unless it's decided that the trials reveal that these scooters are a complete no-no.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 8:39pmPresumably the experience gained from trials will form the basis of new regulations, unless it's decided that the trials reveal that these scooters are a complete no-no.
Yes.

I haven't been able to find any details of the evaluation. As always it should be transparent and independent.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -operators

Jonathan