Not just any off (multiple broken ribs)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cowsham

Re: Not just any off (split from Giro D'italia topic)

Post by Cowsham »

Vorpal wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 8:24am
Cowsham wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 5:53pm
I wasn't far from home only 1/2 a mile and had just started out on a ride into town to see my brother doing about 20MPH down a hill carefree and enjoying the warm Sunday afternoon.

Felt like road kill. Just shows how a really bad accident can occur from such a small lapse of concentration and how vulnerable we are.

Lesson learned from this one is
"STAY OUT OF THE GUTTER "
Cowsham, sorry to hear about your injury. It sounds really awful, I don't know how you've gotten back on a bike, already. I either broke a rib, or tore connecting tissue between my ribs (wasn't x-rayed), and it was 4 weeks before I could get back on and at least 6 before I could ride on the road. I guess, if I'd pushed myself, I probably could have done more sooner, but the GP told me not to!

Anyway, is it ok if I split off the discussion of your injuries to another thread? And leave this one for the Giro?
Yes no probs Vorpal I was just time shifting the information but there's sufficient time between events now.
I am here. Where are you?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cowsham wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 9:07am Yes no probs Vorpal I was just time shifting the information but there's sufficient time between events now.
Feel free to edit the title of the thread.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cowsham

Re: Giro D'italia

Post by Cowsham »

Debs wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 11:32pm
Cowsham wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 8:46pm ...when there's so many ribs broken.
That was a very bad luck off you had, lucky the injuries weren't even more serious, could have been.
Hope the healing process continues to mend well for you!
Thanks Debs that's what the doctors were trying to impress upon me " most people with that many ribs broken would have a chest drain in " was what they told me.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Very sorry to hear this.

Great that you're up and about already. Hope the progress continues. One day at a time!

Best wishes

Jonathan

PS: When you get bored how about entertaining yourself by listing the number of different strands of science and technology that have contributed to your care?
Last edited by Jdsk on 16 Jun 2021, 9:32am, edited 1 time in total.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Vorpal wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 9:18am
Cowsham wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 9:07am Yes no probs Vorpal I was just time shifting the information but there's sufficient time between events now.
Thanks Vorpal -- title is fine
Cowsham

Re: Giro D'italia

Post by Cowsham »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 11:43am Hi,
What and no hallucinations with curtains turning into flowing psychedelic paint :mrgreen:
Over forty years ago I have no idea what meds I was on in ICU.

Get well soon.
Actually there was a time where the pattern in the blue bed curtains did seem to flow slowly downwards but no nice psychedelic colours to go with that.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I hope that the improvements and landmarks in recovering are keeping your morale strong.
Getting better is an optimistic time.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Cowsham wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 9:23am
Vorpal wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 9:18am
Thanks Vorpal -- title is fine
It makes it sounds like the crash was actually IN the Giro!

;-)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mike Sales wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 3:57pm I hope that the improvements and landmarks in recovering are keeping your morale strong.
Getting better is an optimistic time.
Thanks Mike -- I maybe tried to do a bit too much too soon -- on Monday I went a bit too far on the bike -- half way to town which is about 4 miles away and decided to turn back -- by the time I got back up the hill ( the one I crashed on going down ) and home I was getting very sore and didn't do much the rest of the night. The wife was furious. Decided some easier exercises would be better goals. Tuesday was a non event day just felt lousy all day. Today started with being very stiff with not much pain ( sitting still ) but as the day goes on I'm finding more movement available without too much pain. Sorry for boring everyone with my progress but it's good to have a record of how long this recovery process will take.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

The ribs feel like I've got straps around them but it's only stiffness in the intercostal muscles I'd think -- the sensation is like you feel your inhalation is being restricted a bit.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Keep on keeping on
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Cowsham wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 5:13pm [ with my progress but it's good to have a record of how long this recovery process will take.
Have to admit I kept the pressure off for a full five weeks last year, sticking purely to spinning on an exercise bike. Not a machine I'd normally use, but an hour at 85-95% max heart, 4-5occ. a week worked a treat, back on the real bike by week six
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

gbnz wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 5:34pm
Cowsham wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 5:13pm [ with my progress but it's good to have a record of how long this recovery process will take.
Have to admit I kept the pressure off for a full five weeks last year, sticking purely to spinning on an exercise bike. Not a machine I'd normally use, but an hour at 85-95% max heart, 4-5occ. a week worked a treat, back on the real bike by week six
What injuries did you have?
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Cowsham wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 7:46pm
Oh sorry, it was much easier for me injuries being stretched out over several months (Nb. 2 No. shoulder blades, 1 no. collar bone, several ribs total, slight crack to skull, heavy concussion for a good few weeks after one incident).

But though I'm a keen gym user, have never bothered with exercise bikes at the gym ; and actually found it exceptionally beneficial, as it was possible to keep the upper body absolutely still, whilst doing a full 60 minute high intensity workout on an exercise bike (Nb. It was purely high speed spinning for the cardio benefit, I think putting a heavy load/resistence in place would probably result in the "load" being transferred to areas with broken bones.

Hope your pain is declining :wink:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

gbnz wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 9:12pm
Cowsham wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 7:46pm
Oh sorry, it was much easier for me injuries being stretched out over several months (Nb. 2 No. shoulder blades, 1 no. collar bone, several ribs total, slight crack to skull, heavy concussion for a good few weeks after one incident).

But though I'm a keen gym user, have never bothered with exercise bikes at the gym ; and actually found it exceptionally beneficial, as it was possible to keep the upper body absolutely still, whilst doing a full 60 minute high intensity workout on an exercise bike (Nb. It was purely high speed spinning for the cardio benefit, I think putting a heavy load/resistence in place would probably result in the "load" being transferred to areas with broken bones.

Hope your pain is declining :wink:

Thanks gbnz -- I'm interested in others experience of injury recovery and what they found beneficial. I have an exercise bike which I might use.

Only thing is I find if I do too much the effort of heavy breathing starts to exacerbate pain which can seem to radiate around to the front of the rib cage where I wasn't hurt which is particularly scary for me having experienced a collapsed lung before.

The surgeon said the pain would get worse before it got better. Maybe this stiffness and odd pains I'm experiencing is what he meant.