Not just any off (multiple broken ribs)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cowsham

Re: Not just any off (multiple broken ribs)

Post by Cowsham »

Forgot to mention clothing -- wear tops that button or zip up so you don't have to pull them over your head.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Even though the weather is still wet here I find myself very envious of .other cyclists out in the rain.

Giving arm a little more movement but still not letting it swing too far from my side. Clicks a bit but think collarbone feels quite solid and the broken end ( distal fracture ) isn't as tender when I gently press on it with my right hand.

There's some sharp pain in the shoulder when I lift my left arm too much either direction but I'm hoping that's because of the fact the bone has healed and stress of movement is conveyed to the ligaments etc or the new position of that outer fragment.

Trap muscle on left is a bit painful, I think because of where some of the sinews joins the outer bit which has moved a little. I'll work with that after the bone is fully healed.

Today I noticed a little sharp unusual pain at the cartilage join of the collarbone where it joins the sternum. Not too worried about any of the new pains as long as the bone heals.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Got on bike for the first time since mid July about 6 weeks ago. Don't really know for sure that the collarbone has healed but have to keep shoulder moving to prevent other nasties happening. Did about 15 very gentle miles on the mountain bike cos it's the most comfortable and I don't have to put much weight on the left arm. Avoiding pushing and pulling too hard and any sharp jolts to it.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Got good news from doc today. Xray shows collarbone healing is progressing well -- not at full strength yet of course but with new bone forming in the middle. The gap can still be seen but it's a lot closer and more in line than previous xray. Discharged from hospital awaiting letter from physio.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That's good to hear.

Have you discussed cycling with the physiotherapist yet?

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 9 Sep 2021, 5:25pm That's good to hear.

Have you discussed cycling with the physiotherapist yet?

Jonathan
Thanks Jon -- I haven't discussed cycling cos I've not seen a physio yet but I've been cycling (and static bike think that will become a more regular feature during this winter)

I saw the thoracic surgeon a couple of days ago about the ribs. He said we see a lot of this type of injury from cyclists and motorcyclists again stressing what a major trauma it is and voiced a strong opinion about how dangerous cycling is. He is bewildered by mountain biking cos of the sheer numbers of injuries he sees as a result of it.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Another update -- saw physio a couple of weeks ago but mostly just talking about the injury with some simple stretching exercises to practice before the next visit sometime this month. No letter yet.

The range of movement is progressing at pace and strength finally starting to return -- shoulder still a bit crackly but getting quieter as time goes on. ( was quite disturbing at the start )

Did a 30 mile ride on my road bike today with only one short stop about 7 miles from home on way back to stretch. My back still gets a bit sore at the left side where the most of the rib damage was but after the short stop it was fine the rest of the way home.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I might of already said it up post, there is no gain without some pain.
One of my physio said that you have to push through a bit of pain to get results.
I have to kick myself sometimes to remember to do my daily exercises.
I take about 20 minutes and if I don't do them for two or three days I start to suffer quite badly.
For the last two weeks I have only specifically done cycling.
Last night I was on the treadmill, that's run walk with gradient.
Wasn't too bad but I do need to get back to doing the woods walk again for my ankles.
Two weeks away from doing any non-cycling always Give niggles.
Unfortunately it only gets worse as you get older, I've just started to notice a weakness in my left ankle at the front between upper foot and shin, no pain there but it just goes weak when cycling after a few hours or so.

For about six months maybe a year of a pain at this spot 2 inches on the foot and 2 inches on the lower shin, it comes from any pressure from a shoe at this point.
I'm finding it increasingly common that I have to loosen my shoe to get rid of the pain, but this is only on the treadmill or walking.
So weakness when cycling with no pain, but pain walking unless I loosen the shoe somewhat.

I'll see another trip to the physio but is possible and I'll have a look on the net 1st, As last time I looked it was several weeks waiting for a physio were previously a few years back it was just a day or so.

Physiotherapy is about isolating pain and weakness, so the correct therapy can be applied to the affected area.
Exercise in general cycling walking running etc, Just see is your body guarding the affected area so it never gets better.

But you probably know that anyway.
If I didn't do cycling Every other day say, and the physiotherapy I do every day Then after a week I am in constant pain which stems from my spine through injury and old-age crushing nerves.
Very difficult to sleep then.
It's normal for me not to take any medication for inflamation At all.
So I have to keep it up.
For several years I was on an anti-inflammatory and it didn't do anything whatsoever, I probably went backwards too.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Was going to say "was that the ankles you were born with?" But what I mean is as far as I recall I remember you saying somewhere that you had been born with wonky ankles hence the user name not sure?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Cowsham wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 12:43pm Was going to say "was that the ankles you were born with?" But what I mean is as far as I recall I remember you saying somewhere that you had been born with wonky ankles hence the user name not sure?
Sprained ankles many times at school and into adulthood.
After a really bad sprain, doctor said go see a chiropodist. (somewhere 83-85)
he diagnosed "Over flexible ankles" some people are born with it I suppose, doing running walking and cycling to extremes did not help prevent sprained ankles.
Might have been sometime later after more sprains, much later whilst at the phisio for other things, they suggested exercises for feet.
So not till 2010 did I start doing strengthening exercises.
I darnt give up.......................
If I was to give up exercises everyday I would suffer badly.
Even now a short spell of lazyness and I have symtoms in my right lower from PAD.

I would sprain an ankle walking around town :(

Username.
It comes from the action we all have when we walk - run - cycle.
With cycling there is no heel contact so the brain still trys to move the foot same way.
But if you do things like wear tight shoes - let feet get cold or even wear soft a shoe whilst cycling, you stunt the natural ankling effect and then the knee pain and general pain from hip to toe, follow.

Many papers on the net about the way the legs work and how power is transmitted to the foot via hip thigh and lower leg muscles.
Hams and Calves, across two joints, biarticular muscles.
But not much on foot movement with cycling.
Quite a bit about the foot and its complex interconnecting bones.

You only have to look at peoples feet when walking around town to see why people struggle with running and cycling.
Any glitches and these can be transferred to your cycling action, with bad effects.

Natural Ankling is that ..........unconscious............any attempt to think about it will manifest with pain and cramps..............

My theory :)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Reading that makes me think I've been very blessed to have really great feet ankles and knees but it's more likely you've just done far more extreme exercise than me till you've done real damage.

It's also amazing what a simple exercise can cure.

Learning recently about how broken bones heal and remodel themselves is like science fiction.

We are fearfully and wonderfully made.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

I think a lot of us (including me) tend to forget that it's a pure miracle that we're even here in the first place, and then everything follows on from there.
NATURAL ANKLING

hi,
I think probably a lot of people probably have maybe similar problems to me but it's never diagnose, I wish I had been diagnosed a long time back and given some help.
I'm not really suffering today much because I keep the exercises up and consequently I've only sprained my ankle probably once in the last 10 years.
Age of course limits me on how long I can stay on my feet walking and running.
But all in all I'm okay apart from being dragged down now and again with the medication.
Certainly cycling, and as long as I'm wearing walking boots not shoes when I go walking over the moors, means I have no problems whatsoever.
Even with a sprained ankle, Cycling is possible very soon at least a week or so after with no problems much.

Yes the human body is probably the most versatile machine ever.
I hear stories of many people on medication (Pain and anti-inflammatory)and they also visit Chiropodist and physiotherapist, But unfortunately they don't seem disciplined enough to keep it up and give up virtually next day!
I think it's also easy to give up and go for your next fix another visit to the Takeaway because you had to walk 200 yards from the garage to the nearest Takeaway, yes that's the story and a real one too :roll:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Yes I've always seen exercise as vital to my survival cos I was a chronic asthmatic up till about the ripe old age of 44 then it left me miraculously.

My mum tried everything she could to make me better, from goats milk to sending me to weightlifting at 11. The weightlifting was the best thing I could have done. At about 15 it gave me confidence and improved my lungs.

I've been frightened to stop exercise cos I'm afraid of the consequences. Cycling has improved lung health too. I've not had an inhaler for 15 years.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Back to cycling back and forward to work 30 miles round trip -- with no bother really.

Shoulder still a little clicky and shoulder blade has a small click as I pull my shoulders back around the inboard part of the scapula.

I think it maybe coming from tendons / sinews / muscle moving over the healed rib fractures -- I know two ribs had displaced fractures so maybe around those areas.

Yet to have my second physio appointment to ask about best exercise for that. Pain is minimal but not pushing too much weight yet -- can do 5 pressups with toes on a chair -- it's a far cry from 90 with toes up on a table but getting there slowly.