Not just any off (multiple broken ribs)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cowsham

Re: Not just any off (split from Giro D'italia topic)

Post by Cowsham »

Just remembered another thing that helped at the start of the pain treatment. The anesthetist applied a morphine patch on my side to help the pain that wasn't covered by the spinea block on my back ie the ribs cracked around the side no.s 2 to 6. Ribs 2 to 9 were broke at the back but I think the block only stopped pain in some of those.

Taking things easy and now able to lay in my own bed almost flat.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Another wee update on my recovery and just putting this down to help anyone else who may experience this disturbing effect of breaking so many ribs at once.

I had to get something investigated which may sound unusual and indeed it is an unusual sound emanating from just below my sternum.

The sound is an audible plopping sound which is in sympathy with my heartbeat. The wife could hear it just standing near me.

I noticed it soon after I got home from hospital. I probably had it in hospital but there's always a lot of noise in the hospital even at night with monitoring machines bleeping away constantly in a Ward and nurses milling around etc.

It only happened at certain positions laying in the recliner or in bed but also comes and goes getting louder and softer with the progression of each breath. If I hold my breath at a certain inhalation level I can keep the heart plop sound at the same level.

Had been down to the hospital doctors a few times to have them look at it. All times my ecg and blood tests all came back clear. I had an xray last week which was all good too. Most of the doctors were confused about it and this added to the increasing anxiety I had about it.

I was seen by an echocardiographer today ( not sure if that's his proper title or not but he specializes in this type of diagnosis ). He listened to the plopping sound ( and did stethoscope checks ) and told me it was nothing to worry about.

Basically when you break so many ribs the cartilage that supports organs like the diaphragm heart etc is moving around along with the broken ribs and the heart can be laying a bit lower than usual or the diaphragm may not be hung in position as well until the ribs and cartilage attached fully heals.

The upshot of this movement is that the heart can beat against the diaphragm or ribs. The diaphragm can act like a big drum and amplify the sound so it can be heard outside the body. He confirmed my heart is healthy.

I hope this saves anyone else who experiences this the anxiety and sleepless nights it caused me. Get the guy to check of course.
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

Cowsham wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 10:05pm
I think trying to cycle on week two was a mistake and probably would have been better doing very little.
Having suffered similar injuries two weeks ago I would agree with that - I certainly don't feel like getting on the bike yet, and my injuries were probably not as serious as yours (I had the cracked ribs and minor lung puncture, but collar bone was OK). My accident was not cycling related (mountaineering accident) so it's not a question of being scared of getting back on the bike.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

The thing with having many broken ribs is the amount of gubbins they support there's cartilage that attaches to the ribs to support diaphragm, heart lungs etc so that's why there's other anomalies and complications that can lead on from that one or two ribs is not too bad since most of the structure is still fairly rigid. Forcing the heart to work hard after the stuff around it has been dislodged is not a good move but the docs insist you do lots of breathing exercises.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Feeling a lot more normal now -- that innards slumping feeling when you go from horizontal to upright getting out of bed is getting less each day and I'm able to reach above my head with my left arm ( collar bone break ) . That awful scary breathlessness feeling when you've walked too far / fast is leaving me now.
Cowsham

Re: Not just any off (multiple broken ribs)

Post by Cowsham »

First decent pedal today about 15 miles -- and it felt good -- some pain in the middle of my back where the worst breaks were. Heart and lungs felt near enough normal albeit I'm not bike fit.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Follow up xray on Thursday and orthopedic consultant says my collarbone isn't healing!

It's little wonder since I've been doing everything I shouldn't.

So I'm off the bike arm in a sling trying to keep it immobilized for a few weeks to try to get the bones to nit.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Take it easy and it will heal. Had a few ribs broken and a shoulder 20 years ago and you have reminded me that as we get older the slower we heal. The faster we travel the more it hurts so I generally I am slower than I used to be even down hills but still love the freedom I feel on a bike. Get well soon.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Collarbones don't always heal by themselves. But you're getting professional advice, and the progress is being followed.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 1:50pm Collarbones don't always heal by themselves. But you're getting professional advice, and the progress is being followed.

Jonathan

He did say it may never heal because of the breaks lateral position out near the shoulder and may even opt to discard it altogether ( the broken bit at the end ) but I'm going to give it the best chance I can. For 3 or 4 weeks then start moving the joint a bit more after that with no weight bearing of course. Wouldn't mind a hook plate in if it's temporary and if it means I can keep it.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

roberts8 wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 1:40pm Take it easy and it will heal. Had a few ribs broken and a shoulder
+ 1. Had two shoulders & ribs broken in separate incidents in September/October 2019 and a collar bone and ribs August last year. Avoided any shoulder mvt for a good 5-6 weeks and found it was ok (I.e. Back to lifting 100kg within 3-4 months). Apologies, obviously yours' could be far more serious (Nb. I'd presume a broken bone can be straightforward or complex)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

gbnz wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 8:53pm
roberts8 wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 1:40pm Take it easy and it will heal. Had a few ribs broken and a shoulder
+ 1. Had two shoulders & ribs broken in separate incidents in September/October 2019 and a collar bone and ribs August last year. Avoided any shoulder mvt for a good 5-6 weeks and found it was ok (I.e. Back to lifting 100kg within 3-4 months). Apologies, obviously yours' could be far more serious (Nb. I'd presume a broken bone can be straightforward or complex)
Thanks gbnz that's encouraging. To be honest I'm a bit down about the clavicle not healing and wondering how on earth that gap on the xray can be bridged.

Going to get on the exercise bike complete with sling.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Cowsham wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 10:04pm
Thanks gbnz that's encouraging. To be honest I'm a bit down about the clavicle not healing and wondering how on earth that gap on the xray can be bridged.

Going to get on the exercise bike complete with sling.
+ 1 again. Though I'd been a fanatical gym user since 2001, I'd never once bothered with the exercise bike. Until broken bones and need to prevent movement obliged me to use it. Found the results from a concentrated spin were fantastic; 60 minutes at an appropriate spin 4-5 occ's a week were incredible for cardio fitness and even developed appropriate muscle when pushed!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I've never been this sedentary for so long in my life.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Took the sling off now but keeping my arm fairly much down by my side but allowing a little movement. Worked on my fitness by walking and static bike.

I can walk 5 miles without much back pain ( walking used to bring on a pain in the middle of my back where the most of the displaced broken ribs were.)

I can do an hour on the static bike at a fairly good power and cadence and not be badly out of breath. ( a few weeks ago I was doing 5 mins and feeling my heart was racing with a feeling I needed to puff like a train but not really if you know what I mean -- a very strange feeling )

Feeling more normal during exercise which is a relief.

Considering falling from a bicycle and hitting the road at about 20--25 MPH is the same as falling from a height of 6 meters onto your shoulder puts the injury into respective.