Not just any off (multiple broken ribs)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Not just any off (multiple broken ribs)

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cowsham wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 4:48pm
Pain is minimal but not pushing too much weight yet -- can do 5 pressups with toes on a chair -- it's a far cry from 90 with toes up on a table but getting there slowly.
Bighead :mrgreen:
I only ever did one, one handed pressup and one handstand pressup :)
Only about 10 toe on chair for me.
Thats straight arm......nose or chest to floor...........not the gym buddy pressups you see most doing..............
https://www.fitprince.com/press-vs-push/
https://youtu.be/Eh00_rniF8E

Or-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyuJ3T0sQ88
Attachments
2021-10-13_123006.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

That's some pressup - that plank thing -- must try that when I get back to some semblance of fitness. Problem with that for us will be cyclist legs -- heavy! And off balance.
I am here. Where are you?
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Cowsham wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 2:54pm That's some pressup - that plank thing -- must try that when I get back to some semblance of fitness. Problem with that for us will be cyclist legs -- heavy! And off balance.
Fact is if your body was developed in such a way as to be able to do the plank you'd be slower on a bike than if it wasn't (everything else being equal).

Well, that's my excuse! :lol:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

kylecycler wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 4:40pm
Cowsham wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 2:54pm That's some pressup - that plank thing -- must try that when I get back to some semblance of fitness. Problem with that for us will be cyclist legs -- heavy! And off balance.
Fact is if your body was developed in such a way as to be able to do the plank you'd be slower on a bike than if it wasn't (everything else being equal).

Well, that's my excuse! :lol:
I think cycling is terrible for physique cos it strips muscle from shoulders and puts it on the legs. Cyclists have a terrible looking body shape IMO. Even the legs are a terrible shape -- runners legs look much better but the injuries to knees are offputting.

The best for body shape is probably swimming but I like the freedom a bike gives me.

One thing I will change after this injury episode is devoting more time for gym work for the top half of my body party to help protect it if I fall again.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Up to 3 sets of 25 pressups with feet up on chair -- very slight click from left shoulder but getting fainter with time and exercise -- think it's cos the outer ( distal fracture ) bit of clavicle ( about an inch ) has healed a bit lower at the rear of the clavicle and so interfering with some tendons that slide underneath it. Curls are no problem at all, as are dips ( for the triceps )

Cycling -- I would still get a dull ache where the most badly broken ribs were but if I do a bit of standing on the pedals ( pulling on the bars ) the pain goes away. I think it's due to the muscle / ligament damage there and improving slowly. Doesn't affect doing about 30 miles -- don't know how I'd cope with 100mile days ( coming up in the summer hopefully )
Padjo59

Post by Padjo59 »

Been reading this 11 days after a big smash and reckoning mine's gone fairly well so far. Am 62 and hadn't broken any bone since age of 14 so was clearly trying to catch up.

Misjudged the kerb angle as I came up onto a bike path in the rain and came down hard on my left side. Head smacked the ground but helmet prevented any injury at all (win!)
Not so good for my side. They did x-ray it but haven't said exactly how many ribs I broke. It's either 4 or 5, and two were certainly separated so you could feel the ends scraping against each other. They did x-ray to rule out a flail chest (which would have been a whole other level of badness).

I've followed all their advice, using strong painkillers when I need them and trying to keep full breathing as much as possible. It was horrible the first two nights (howling when I got up out of bed) but improved steadily over the first week. Definitely trying not to laugh, and too early for hay fever to kill me, but much more manageable now.

I did a short 4km test ride on day 9 and it wasnt too horrible. Worst was putting my foot down when I stopped.

They said 6 weeks till all pain is gone. That looks realistic on current progress and will probably stop all painkillers next week.

Not going to do that again!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sorry to hear that. And that does sound like good healing.

I hope that laughing is possible soon.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Padjo59 wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 4:35am Been reading this 11 days after a big smash and reckoning mine's gone fairly well so far. Am 62 and hadn't broken any bone since age of 14 so was clearly trying to catch up.

Misjudged the kerb angle as I came up onto a bike path in the rain and came down hard on my left side. Head smacked the ground but helmet prevented any injury at all (win!)
Not so good for my side. They did x-ray it but haven't said exactly how many ribs I broke. It's either 4 or 5, and two were certainly separated so you could feel the ends scraping against each other. They did x-ray to rule out a flail chest (which would have been a whole other level of badness).

I've followed all their advice, using strong painkillers when I need them and trying to keep full breathing as much as possible. It was horrible the first two nights (howling when I got up out of bed) but improved steadily over the first week. Definitely trying not to laugh, and too early for hay fever to kill me, but much more manageable now.

I did a short 4km test ride on day 9 and it wasnt too horrible. Worst was putting my foot down when I stopped.

They said 6 weeks till all pain is gone. That looks realistic on current progress and will probably stop all painkillers next week.

Not going to do that again!
Hope you're better soon multiple broke ribs is a major injury.
My son did exactly this but being a 15 year old he just bounced. I was same when I was that age but now I'm knocking on a bit these falls are more of a concern.

One tip a got from a physio when in the hospital was while sitting ( slightly reclined cos that was the only comfortable position and got some sleep that way ) to put a pillow at my back on the left side with another pillow under my left arm between my ribs and my arm.

They made me do breathing exercises twice a day to keep pneumonia and lung infections away this was their main concern with me.
Take it easy with the bike for a while -- you need the ribs to knit together again first.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
One of my customers fell off going onto a cycle a cycle track (pavement used as a cycle track) from the road.
Broke arm at elbow 4-5 weeks off work.

This manoeuvre seems to be a very hazardous, I my self refuse to use a cycle track if getting on or off causes me to do a manoeuvre that can end with me in a heap, and or even more vulnerable to a collision with other road users!

I wish local planners and national high ways would get their act together.

Get well soon and a speedy recovery.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Weird thing is -- a couple of years ago I did the very same thing but didn't hurt myself hardly at all although it was a fairly slow speed crash. Crossed a main road approached the curb at about 45° landed on my right shoulder but I had time to land like a judo move my back pack saved me to some extent as I was commuting home from work. My son did it last year but hit the tarmac with a loud slap got up and got back on.

My bad off last year was much higher speed. I had no time to save myself cos it more of a flip over than a low side slip off and only had a t shirt on my back.

Getting older means being more careful.