Scotland to England

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ultraburner

Scotland to England

Post by ultraburner »

A day ride I've wanted to do for many years.

Just wanted to consult the hive for your input.

I'm in Glasgow, I'd like to ride to Carlisle and get the train home. I just wondered if anyone had done this in reverse as part of a lejog or indeed jogle.

Looking at the map It looks like I want the B7076 which mirrors the M74.

Am I correct?
kylecycler

Re: Scotland to England

Post by kylecycler »

This is what Cycle Travel suggests (zoom in to see the details of the route):

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/231356

Depends whereabouts in Glasgow you're starting, though, of course. Best to map it yourself from where you live, just cancel the route above and see what it comes up with. Only difference would be how you get out of Glasgow.

No personal experience of the route although I'm sure I've been down some of that way on club runs but I just follow the rest! :)

Others might suggest better alternatives but at least these days you can trust the likes of Cycle Travel. Away back in the late 1980s a young lad I knew who was a bit of a 'whizz-kid', as computer geeks were known back then, worked out a route for me to drive from Prestwick to Thruxton, just along the road from Stonehenge, using a new-fangled high-tech computerised mapping 'system', long before I knew how to work a computer. I should have smelled a rat when it directed me through Carlisle instead of staying on the M6! I still followed it slavishly, though - I mean, computers knew better than humans, right (or so I assumed!)?!

Turned out the best a computer could come up back then with was the shortest route as the crow flies! Might have been ok on a bicycle but absolutely not in a car - it took forever - I felt as if I'd been through every village in England when I got there! :(
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

"I felt as if I'd been through every village in England when I got there!"
It is said it is all about the journey, not the getting there. :P
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Many years ago, when I was new to the CTC and wanted to get from Bangor to Cardiff, I sent for a CTC route fot the trip.
When I got to Cardiff I decided it had taken me over every hill in Wales.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
ultraburner

Post by ultraburner »

Many thanks indeed for the links and pointers much appreciated.

My final question is regarding the train home. If I book a ticket can I get on with my bike?
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Think you may need to book the bike.
Regarding the map link above, stay on the b7076 until Gretna.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

You may need to book the bike on the train. Regarding the map linked above, stay on the B7076 until Gretna, no need for the diversion.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I went through on my lejog followed the motorway pretty boring and remote tbh.

If I were you I'd go west into Ayrshire.

Cheers James
irc

Post by irc »

Another Glasgow area resident here. I'd do it the other way Carlisle to Glasgow.

1 On average more chance of a tailwind
2 If you have any issues and need to bail out you are on the Glasgow local train network with frequent services at Lanark.
3 For getting train on a bike you need to book. Easier catching a train on the outward journey than deciding what train to go for and what your arrival time will be in Carlisle.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Navigate carefully thru,Gretna.Even though a small town,there,s at least 4 routes in and out.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Just a note of caution if you haven't used it before. Having ridden the B7076 many times as part of LEJoG's and other events, it's usually amongst my least favourite sections. Theoretically it should be fine - wide roads, light traffic, even bike lanes for long parts.

The problems are road surface - very long stretches of partially delaminated tarmac make for very bumpy and tiring riding. Also monotony - it's a really boring road. Very little to see, particularly on the southern section. Also you are running in parallel with, and at times right alongside, a motorway so you have the constant drone of heavy traffic.

Combined, these factors don't make for a pleasant ride IMO. The problem is there aren't really any alternatives, so I will be on the B7076 going north next Saturday as part of my annual London-Aberdeen pilgrimage :|
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

toontra wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 10:27am Just a note of caution if you haven't used it before. Having ridden the B7076 many times as part of LEJoG's and other events, it's usually amongst my least favourite sections. Theoretically it should be fine - wide roads, light traffic, even bike lanes for long parts.

The problems are road surface - very long stretches of partially delaminated tarmac make for very bumpy and tiring riding. Also monotony - it's a really boring road. Very little to see, particularly on the southern section. Also you are running in parallel with, and at times right alongside, a motorway so you have the constant drone of heavy traffic.

Combined, these factors don't make for a pleasant ride IMO. The problem is there aren't really any alternatives, so I will be on the B7076 going north next Saturday as part of my annual London-Aberdeen pilgrimage :|
Aberdeen lad here, looking to ride to London. Do you have any gpx routed to share?
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
toontra

Post by toontra »

matt2matt2002 wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 2:40pm
toontra wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 10:27am Just a note of caution if you haven't used it before. Having ridden the B7076 many times as part of LEJoG's and other events, it's usually amongst my least favourite sections. Theoretically it should be fine - wide roads, light traffic, even bike lanes for long parts.

Aberdeen lad here, looking to ride to London. Do you have any gpx routed to share?
Sure. Will PM you.