Re Keswick -Threlkeld cycle route

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
cyclop

Re Keswick -Threlkeld cycle route

Post by cyclop »

Whilst on a 70ml circuit from Penrith,me and a couple of pals used the cycle path along the old railway,lately asphalted and dual use,with walkers.Great surface but ,for us,we felt we shouldn,t be there.Great, in theory,but in practice not so.Casual walkers,dogs on leads,children,no marked lane.Not for us,shan,t bother again.
Hellhound

Re: Re Keswick -Threlkeld cycle route

Post by Hellhound »

Ridden on it many,many times over the years and prefer it before the resurface.I can understand why they've done it but the old track was better.It's always been multi-use as far as I know.
I've ridden a few converted railway tracks and to be fair non of them had lane markings either?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

You’re not forced to ride it there are alternatives. Personally I’ve missed it during the closure.
It’s always been shared use and I’ve ridden it many times without any conflict.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

We had one comment of "going too fast",generally just a feeling of ,rather be on the road,even if it is the A66.Yes,we have done the alternatives ,which we,ll use next time.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We've cycled it many times from when our son was a baby until the year before COVID and even when it was truncated by the lost bridge. Walked and cycled it with dog, child and never had any problem at all.

We don't ride much above 10mph as the dog can only manage that speed comfortably. Perhaps conflict happens above that speed which IMHO I'd consider too far as a cyclist and pedestrian on such mixed use paths. These aren't London cycling superhighways afterall.
ChrisDay

Post by ChrisDay »

It’s a great route - but has to be used appropriately- the smooth surface could allow fast riding - especially down towards Keswick, but this is a shared use facility, well used by children, dog walkers, Parkrun etc - it’s great to see so many people out on the beautiful track........but it isn’t ok to speed along - that isn’t sharing.
We give motorists a hard time if they drive in a way that endangers cyclists and other road users - on a shared use track it’s up to us to do the right thing - and that has to be just take it slow for a few miles.
Chris
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

Glad that it’s finally reopened. What was once a quieter track is bound to be busy now with increasing visitors to the lakes, especially this time of year.
As cyclists, we have to accept that you are going to have to deal with a lot of pedestrian traffic which means passing considerately (ie not suddenly without warning & at speed - I find this really poor behaviour when it happens to me when walking the dog). A bell on routes like this is a must.

I agree that it can be a pain, but it can’t be a reason to be impatient or discourteous on the bike.

The alternative (Road) route up the hill out of Keswick past Castlerigg stone circle is quite pleasant.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I've used it several times recently. It's a great surface, and at quiet times there can be reasonable lengths that you can belt along as fast as you like. You just have to be ready to slow down when the need arises, especially when close to Keswick.

I'll definitely be using it again!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Met a Hampshire couple, doing C2C, at Allenheads cafe this morning. They thought the Keswick path wonderful and said the surface was superb and wished the whole route were as good.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Spen

Post by Spen »

cyclop wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 3:44pm We had one comment of "going too fast",generally just a feeling of ,rather be on the road,even if it is the A66.Yes,we have done the alternatives ,which we,ll use next time.
What speed were you doing?
pwa

Post by pwa »

The scenic shared use paths around here are just the same, with lots of pedestrian / family use at certain fairly predictable times, and we just accept that we have to go slow, occasionally stop, ring the bell and all that stuff, because we are occupying a popular route at a popular time. Sometimes, if I want to make good speed, I take a road alternative, but mostly I just accept going slower. And it's nice to see families still getting out there.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I rode this last Tuesday on C2C - it was nice to ride a reasonable surface away from traffic.
The drawback is of course encountering pedestrians, dogs and small children - my pace is generally quite slow but I had to reduce it for the safety of all concerned.
I was overtaken by some faster cyclists but they had to weave in and out to maintain progress - not my thing.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Spen wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 10:59am
cyclop wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 3:44pm We had one comment of "going too fast",generally just a feeling of ,rather be on the road,even if it is the A66.Yes,we have done the alternatives ,which we,ll use next time.
What speed were you doing?
My pals were going at a speed I wasn,t happy with so I slowed down.10 mph?maybe.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 2:35pm The scenic shared use paths around here are just the same, with lots of pedestrian / family use at certain fairly predictable times, and we just accept that we have to go slow, occasionally stop, ring the bell and all that stuff, because we are occupying a popular route at a popular time. Sometimes, if I want to make good speed, I take a road alternative, but mostly I just accept going slower. And it's nice to see families still getting out there.
I agree but it's a bit of a disgrace that government doesn't build enough routes to cope with even current low levels of exercise and active travel, in line with their professed policies.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.