What Cycles do the Elderly and those with Impaired Health Ride?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Sid Aluminium

Re: What Cycles do the Elderly and those with Impaired Health Ride?

Post by Sid Aluminium »

Grandad wrote: 1 Jul 2021, 11:25pmAre Roman Roads still trading?
No personal knowledge, but according to a post last year they are not. :(
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

Carlton green wrote: 1 Jul 2021, 9:19pmYes, the Kendrick and the Christiania (preferably small box / platform) are the types of things I had in mind.
I'm told mental workouts are as important as physical workouts to keep the aging at bay. Perhaps a Slartibartfast Sorte Jernhest three-wheeler would combine stability with a constant mental puzzle to solve. :D

https://blackironhorse.com/en/
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Grandad wrote: 1 Jul 2021, 11:25pm Are Roman Roads still trading?
No. Derek Shackles died about 3 years ago, and with the family moving house the business had to close.

A couple of years ago the CUK magazine (I think) had an article about a chap who had Sven cycles make him a one off. This is from their website - https://www.svencycles.co.uk/stingray-tricycle-1
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Sid Aluminium wrote: 2 Jul 2021, 2:33am
Carlton green wrote: 1 Jul 2021, 9:19pmYes, the Kendrick and the Christiania (preferably small box / platform) are the types of things I had in mind.
I'm told mental workouts are as important as physical workouts to keep the aging at bay. Perhaps a Slartibartfast Sorte Jernhest three-wheeler would combine stability with a constant mental puzzle to solve. :D

https://blackironhorse.com/en/
Front wheel drive and rear wheel steering isn’t too mind blowing at all. Some time ago I chanced upon a Trike display at a show and got persuaded to have a go on one with that unusual arrangement, I came back beaming from ear to ear. The ground was level and the gears were good, whilst Trike wasn’t a light machine I still made reasonably quick ‘progress’ around the show grounds. Great for shifting stuff but for faster riding I’d prefer steering at the front.

A pity about Kendrick style availability, I guess that folk mostly make do with what they can find and then afford.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

tatanab wrote: 2 Jul 2021, 6:22am
Grandad wrote: 1 Jul 2021, 11:25pm Are Roman Roads still trading?
No. Derek Shackles died about 3 years ago, and with the family moving house the business had to close.
Thanks for the response.

Do you have any contact with them... the website does need some clarification.

Jonathan
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Carlton green wrote: 2 Jul 2021, 8:05amA pity about Kendrick style availability, I guess that folk mostly make do with what they can find and then afford.
For utility purposes there are several two front wheel designs. I recall seeing an intriguing conversion by TReGo some time ago https://trego-trolley.com/home
For sporting/clubman use the Kendrick versus Cripper points have been raised many times in the last 100 years and always the Cripper configuration with two rear wheels has reigned supreme. Recumbents in that configuration are a different matter with lower centre of gravity and position with respect to the wheels, and this seems the most successful arrangement.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Jul 2021, 8:33am Do you have any contact with them... the website does need some clarification.

Jonathan
None at all. They are no longer club members.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

tatanab wrote: 2 Jul 2021, 8:37am For sporting/clubman use the Kendrick versus Cripper points have been raised many times in the last 100 years and always the Cripper configuration with two rear wheels has reigned supreme. Recumbents in that configuration are a different matter with lower centre of gravity and position with respect to the wheels, and this seems the most successful arrangement.
Thank you, I think that that’s good to know and helpful to the thread.

Edit. The thread has usefully explored Tricycles, in looking for (Tricycle) spare parts I’ve pretty much hit a wall. I’m sure that Tricycle specific spare parts exist and enthusiasts will have their sources and links - maybe not even see any issue - but Caveat Emptor. I started a separate thread about Pashley Trikes, the overwhelming response appeared to be to avoid them, and when they break then spare parts seem pretty much impossible to find.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

Of possible health/age advantage to someone: not all the way to the vélo couché is a bicycle in the pattern of the old German/Danish sofacykel, a low, crankforward machine that allows the rider to flat foot at stops.
sofacykel.png
A modern example is the Rans Fusion from North America:
rans fusion.png
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Carlton green wrote: 2 Jul 2021, 12:19pmThe thread has usefully explored Tricycles, in looking for (Tricycle) spare parts I’ve pretty much hit a wall. I’m sure that Tricycle specific spare parts exist and enthusiasts will have their sources and links - maybe not even see any issue - but Caveat Emptor.
Utility tricycles are designed to be easily and cheaply assembled with little or no thought to on going maintenance. This largely reflects the market place for them. Many seem to use the same bolt on axle (of Chinese manufacture I think) mounted on essentially a bike frame - just look at the conventionally located seat stays versus those on a purpose made tricycle. Pardon me for being somewhat cynical. They are a tool for a job, just not my jobs.

In the lightweight/clubman/enthusiast world it seems that each generation can support one tricycle frame builder who might or might not supply axles for other frame builders to use in their own machines. We have been lucky that the last couple of generations have also made parts for older machines. Bear in mind that each builder will make axles and parts to their own design and hubs (for example) from builder A will not fit drive shafts from builder B. You certainly cannot go into Halfords or your local bike shop and buy a pair of hubs, you would go to the frame builder for them.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Sid Aluminium wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 4:03am Of possible health/age advantage to someone: not all the way to the vélo couché is a bicycle in the pattern of the old German/Danish sofacykel, a low, crankforward machine that allows the rider to flat foot at stops.

A modern example is the Rans Fusion from North America:

rans fusion.png
I guess it’s an option but for some reason the design doesn’t seem to be available here. In general recumbent and semi-recumbent bikes just don’t seem to get bought new and second hand supply is tight, they’ll be some reasons for that but I’m still puzzled as to why they’re not more popular.

@tatanab . Thank you for that insight (post directly above), it’s exceedingly helpful - I hope that others will take note of it too.

To quote myself in the OP: “what Cycles do the elderly and those with impaired health ride?”

It seems that what they actually do ride is to some extent constrained by the available choices, and if choice were better - and affordable too - then perhaps more would ride. Currently it seems to be pretty much a case of: make do, adapt what is available, or give up. Fortunately, one way or another, a large percentage of riders manage to keep going. As a relatively recently available additional option I guess that Electric Assist both keeps some folk and maybe gets other folk riding.

In my repeatedly revisited and revised post of 26th June I’ve tried to summarise learning points from all of the thread.

My thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread. I’ve found the answers posted to be helpful and hope that others have also found it helpful, and/or that they will in the future.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

cyclop wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 7:24am I love these tales of older riders determined to keep riding until they keel over.My old cycling pal,Neil,has a condition affecting balance and speech,slowly worsening.After a series of accidents he gave up .A few years later,he got an ice trike and has just done his first century,brilliant,a new lease of life.I had a tryout on it and felt at home straight away,great fun.......can,t wait until my balance/hearing or whatever goes. :wink: :wink:
So do I ( hearing of adventures of older riders )

Today with ribs on the mend but still sore I got a sail on an ice trike. Actually 2, one electric with suspension and the other standard no suspension.

My current injuries have given me a small insight into what it maybe like being 20 -- 30 years older ( if I don't kill myself first :roll: )

I must say it's not hard to see the appeal of a recumbent trike. -- both bikes foldable. I could imagine going a long way on one and feeling comfortable at my destination -- I wonder how they would cope loaded with my gear.

The Di2 gears on the electric ice was a joy -- you could even have it in automatic mode.

I think I'd have the non electric bike though ( at my age now maybe the electric later) and change to di2 derailer.

All in all very impressed by the ice.
I am here. Where are you?
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Just some things to be aware of with regard to recumbent Trikes, I happened on words of ‘warning’ from Squeaker on another thread:

viewtopic.php?p=1600257#p1600257

“Finally, gearing: unless you live somewhere very flat you are going to need a far larger gear range than you may be used to with a road bike. An 8 speed won't hack it, especially if your health issues will have an impact. For example, the ICE 'T' in our garage has 15 to 90 inch gearing. At age 72 I need that to get up our local 18% hill with a full load of luggage, whereas on my upright I can 'honk' up it with a 31" bottom gear... Oh, and use a foot retention system, especially with a tadpole trike ;)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Carlton green wrote: 7 Jul 2021, 12:21pm Just some things to be aware of with regard to recumbent Trikes, I happened on words of ‘warning’ from Squeaker on another thread:

viewtopic.php?p=1600257#p1600257

“Finally, gearing: unless you live somewhere very flat you are going to need a far larger gear range than you may be used to with a road bike. An 8 speed won't hack it, especially if your health issues will have an impact. For example, the ICE 'T' in our garage has 15 to 90 inch gearing. At age 72 I need that to get up our local 18% hill with a full load of luggage, whereas on my upright I can 'honk' up it with a 31" bottom gear... Oh, and use a foot retention system, especially with a tadpole trike ;)
18% Jeepers hope his brakes are good too.

The ice I got a go on had the elastic bands that go around your heal and toe straps.
I am here. Where are you?