What Cycles do the Elderly and those with Impaired Health Ride?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Carlton green

What Cycles do the Elderly and those with Impaired Health Ride?

Post by Carlton green »

With an eye to a couple of decades time I’m wondering what Cycles the elderly and those with impaired health ride? I’d like to keep cycling until I no longer have the mental and physical ability to do so, and as the last couple of decades have wizzed by it seems like I ought to be thinking about such things earlier rather than later.

Electric bikes are ‘all the rage’ now, and they certainly make a difference for many people, but they have their pro’s as well as con’s. I’d like to set electric Bikes to one side and look at more traditional solutions, but what are they? I rarely see the elderly and those in poor health riding but feel sure that somewhere they do, perhaps it’s the case in Holland where cycling is much more mainstream.

Here in the U.K. the oldest non-sporting riders that I see use 20” wheel shoppers and bigger wheeled bicycles with open frames. I can’t remember the last time that I saw a Trike and gather that the cheaper ones don’t work that well in practice - so not the anticipated panacea for the challenged. Perhaps the mixte frame bike that I already use is a good option for twenty plus year’s time.

So, when ill health descends what type of bike will keep you on the road and what preparations have you made for the seemingly inevitable?
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
[XAP]Bob

Re: What Cycles do the Elderly and those with Impaired Health Ride?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ill health has limited me to three wheels.

Fortunately I had already been using three wheels for a decade...
I have previously had e-assist, but don't need that at the moment. I have gone from a utilitarian trike to a sporty one, and am looking to add something a little different to the stable (hopefully reporting back on that in 6-8 weeks).

BUT - my specific disability means that I am still flexible and strong, I just can't ride two wheels, or walk*.
Cycling somewhere with the wheelchair in tow is going to be an interesting juxtaposition that I suspect will confuse the life out of some/many people.

In general I see low step through, and e-assist as obvious changes. Once you have accepted e-assist then I would actually go further and suggest that a simple hub gear train with enclosed chain case and drum brakes suddenly becomes a very easy machine to use.
The issue then is storage and charging. A heavy bike need to be stored at ground level, in a position where it can easily be turned around on the floor on its own wheels (or reversed on the level/downhill).

* I can walk - assuming the ground is perfectly flat and level, the lighting is good, and there is nothing moving in my field of view. Though even in that case I still walk as though I'm seven sheets to the wind.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I am fit and well at 72 but have had a couple of illnesses which undermined my stamina. Main health issue really is merely the debilitating effect of age. Power assistance was the solution.
John
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

A lad of 69, I have no trouble throwing my leg over the handlebars to mount - my preferred method after decades of tricycle and tandem riding.

I certainly know people who use mixte or very low step through frame designs due to mobility issues, and am sure that is something I would consider for myself when needed.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, As Tatanab would confirm I am a decrepit old tricyclist, too many health issues to set down without people getting very bored!
Like him I've enjoy the wonder on wheels that is a tricycle. Only got 3 right now, but often had 5.
Both of us would warn folk away from small wheel trikes such as Pashley or Mission, too heavy, too much hard work.
Only one small wheeler is up to snuff and that is over 40years old, needing money to modernize and make useable, a Ken Rogers Utility Trike. But as said they're old.
All trikes with larger wheels can readily be adapted, but pay peanuts, you get rubbish.
I have two elderly Higgins trikes, a 1953 and a 1949, they are money pits, but provide pleasure.
My other trike is a Geoff Booker, custom build. Never cheap, but superb craftsmanship. This is currently equipped with a Bafang 250w Electric Motor, heavy but very good. Legal and keeps this wreck rolling! TTFN MM
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I am only a youngster of 78yo so as yet I have not had to consider anything other than both my touring bikes. Had a nice and steady 36 mile ride today and hopefully something similar tomorrow with the aim of doing 10,000 miles again this year.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I'm 78 too. up until a couple of years ago I mainly rode my Salsa Vaya tourer, but moving to a very hilly (lots of 1 in 4s) part of Devon I was forced to go Electric. However I am now in flat as a pancake Somerset so its back on the tourer again. It has a 18" bottom gear and a very high top gear. I dont do a huge milage these days, probably 3000 miles a year consisting of many rides of less than 20 miles.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I'll continue to ride until it's no longer an option then look at possible alternatives.
A recumbent trike is already running around somewhere at the back of my mind and I might even get one before I 'need' one :o
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I have a lot of friends in their mid to late seventies, who are still riding around on road bikes, though they do complain if the route gets too hilly. I know a couple off 80-odd year olds who have moved over to hybrid e-bikes, but they are still participating in club rides. Our cycling club President is 91 and has just sold his road bike and bought an e-MTB, but he’s still riding and has a substantial climb on his way home from any ride.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Hellhound wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 5:25pm I'll continue to ride until it's no longer an option then look at possible alternatives.
A recumbent trike is already running around somewhere at the back of my mind and I might even get one before I 'need' one :o
:mrgreen:
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I have always ridden bicycles that are easier to mount than old-fashioned diamond-frame designs and see no reason why I shouldn't continue to do so until circumstances dictate otherwise. Funnily enough I was only thinking today that the day I find I can't ride a bike will probably be the day when I look around for the means to finish it all off.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

Every type of bike imaginable. It really depends on someone’s health rather than their age. Some in their 80’s still quite happy on racing bikes. Some in 70/80s still riding long audaxes or distance
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

I’m only 73! I don’t think elderly is an adjective I like🧐 Cycling two years ago along the Kent coastline, I came on a very active trio of riders and two were my age roughly but their third member was 84. All on either touring or road bikes. It’s not age but how you feel. As for being impaired then there is reason for pedal assist or trike/recumbent. Currently I’ve no plans to shed tourer, road bike or mtb!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Never even considered it until such time as recently when I have seen some of my older cycling companions succumb to using electrics. Which is an obvious future possibility. Until I have to consider it I will continue with what I have just as so many of my cycling friends have done so, bearing in mind many of them didn't have any options other than their normal set up or a trike, until recently.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
1942alexander

Post by 1942alexander »

I'm 79 in October so not yet elderly. :wink: This Colnago Master is my winter bike (Tenerife) and the Holdsworth is the bike I used last in UK. It's almost as old as me. I can still mount by throwing a leg over the saddle and I'm not afraid of hills. In April I climbed to 3753 ft up Mount Teide.
P170213_15.46.JPG
DSCN1946.JPG
Stay fit... Stay young... Alex