Deliberate dangerous driving.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
awavey

Re: Deliberate dangerous driving.

Post by awavey »

fastpedaller wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 5:48pm
Would the police have progressed the case if the image wasn't clear enough (thus unable to identify the driver)?

it strikes me as an odd case all told, I just have a funny feeling the driver was already a known individual to the police, and so they were more interested than it usually feels to firstly FPN on the video alone and I wonder if that was initially dangerous driving or merely careless driving, because I guarantee any cyclist running a camera will have recorded footage like that at some point and their local force wont have been remotely interested in it, and then secondly once the driver is caught in the lie, using the video to prove the drivers identity for a perjury charge.

I mean maybe all the other drivers on the insurance for that car do not remotely look like the individual concerned so they only had to prove it could in all balance of probability only be this identified driver, and that clearly claiming someone in prison was driving it was enough to convict on

but it just feels like they went alot further than Id normally expect based purely on that video alone.
awavey

Post by awavey »

fastpedaller wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 8:34pm Maybe I'm naive, but I know who drives my car (unless it was stolen of course) - why would anyone not know who was driving their car?
In the case of a hire car (whenever I've hired one) I have to give full details, and would expect to have to produce details if anyone else had driven it whilst I was the hirer,
its not uncommon for people who run small businesses, or have business arrangements with each other, to have a vehicle that more than one of them involved in that business will be insured to drive, who might even have their own set of keys for it, and whose only obligation is to keep the car topped up with fuel after theyve borrowed it, though its just as common for that not to happen too.

it becomes like a pool car, Estate agents commonly do it, so yep it is possible for the registered keeper not to have any clue who might be driving the car at the time.

and I presume there are reasons why the registered keeper chose to not take the points, either for the FPN, or for not identifying the driver, instead of signing a document that says someone else drove it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

awavey wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 9:15pm
fastpedaller wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 8:34pm Maybe I'm naive, but I know who drives my car (unless it was stolen of course) - why would anyone not know who was driving their car?
In the case of a hire car (whenever I've hired one) I have to give full details, and would expect to have to produce details if anyone else had driven it whilst I was the hirer,
its not uncommon for people who run small businesses, or have business arrangements with each other, to have a vehicle that more than one of them involved in that business will be insured to drive, who might even have their own set of keys for it, and whose only obligation is to keep the car topped up with fuel after theyve borrowed it, though its just as common for that not to happen too.

it becomes like a pool car, Estate agents commonly do it, so yep it is possible for the registered keeper not to have any clue who might be driving the car at the time.
And in some families.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I know nothing about the linked case but what stands out to me is this:
  • The cameraman is independent to the extent that he didn't have any personal interaction with the driver.
  • The footage shows blatant bad driving on first viewing, without detailed analysis of speeds, distance etc. ie Driver drove on the wrong side of a traffic island on a blind bend.
  • Bearing in mind that the timely NIP to the registered keeper is a vital step, sending the s 172 notice requiring keeper details at the same time seems routine to me. Following up the response with enquiries by an admin unit again seems routine. The alarm bells might only ring when the person named turns out to have a cast-iron alibi. Check the video again and bingo!
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I have just now had a similar experience but with a car pulling over, threats of being beaten up and swear words. I turned on my tail and ran away.

There is no cycle path by the road but it was between the 1st and second roundabout of a close pair, the right hand lane is for straight on for the 1st and then it narrows into the second. I was in the centre of the lane for the second when a car tried to squeeze on my left at speed. I waved my left hand and shouted no loudly. I was then overtaken by the car with abuse and threats of violence from both driver and passenger who then tried to block my way to attack me. As I said I turned tail and ran away to a shop that would have provided witnesses if they had tried to catch me. Unfortunately these incidents are becoming increasingly common and I wondered if there was a way to get things logged so that the extent of the problem could be recorded? My wife suggested the police but since I have no description, registration number etc this seems like a waste of time. Any ideas?
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

fatboy wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 2:02pm Unfortunately these incidents are becoming increasingly common and I wondered if there was a way to get things logged so that the extent of the problem could be recorded? My wife suggested the police but since I have no description, registration number etc this seems like a waste of time. Any ideas?
A call to the police might be a good idea, anyway. They won't be able to follow it up, but if you encounter the same aggressors again, you can refer to the previous incident.

If you are concerned, it may be a good idea to get a camera. In some police areas, at least cyclists are having some success reporting drivers with video evidence sufficient to secure prosecution.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Thanks for the response. I feel inclined to try. BTW I have a camera on my commuting bike but I was on my Brompton today (my normal round town bike).
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Just to add another one to the list:

This morning I was close passed at around 45 to 50mph. Well, when I say close I actually felt the wing mirror brush my rucksack on the way past. The car overtook me on a single carriageway A-Road as there was a vehicle coming the other way. The oncoming vehicle did not move over (even though there was room to do so) leaving no room to pass safely.

Luckily I'd left some wiggle room on the outside as I managed to move out of the way of the car that was right up the a*se of the car that nearly hit me because, I'm pretty sure they didn't even know I was there. Shook me up a bit if I'm honest.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

ChrisP100 wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 10:40am Just to add another one to the list:

This morning I was close passed at around 45 to 50mph. Well, when I say close I actually felt the wing mirror brush my rucksack on the way past. The car overtook me on a single carriageway A-Road as there was a vehicle coming the other way. The oncoming vehicle did not move over (even though there was room to do so) leaving no room to pass safely.

Luckily I'd left some wiggle room on the outside as I managed to move out of the way of the car that was right up the a*se of the car that nearly hit me because, I'm pretty sure they didn't even know I was there. Shook me up a bit if I'm honest.
Sorry to hear this but don't let it put you off.

I find I have to ride defensively almost all the time, i.e. well out from the kerb and wobbling a bit every time I hear a car approaching. Very occasionally I relax thinking 'drivers have been good today' and it is usually at this point that the sort of incident you describe inevitably follows.

Constant vigilance seems to be required, if a driver sees a gap he will generally go for it. By positioning and wobbling I make sure I control the size of the gap (and leave an escape route).
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

A (subtle) wobble as you're approaching a pinch point has a lot to recommend it.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Stradageek wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 12:42pm
ChrisP100 wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 10:40am Just to add another one to the list:

Sorry to hear this but don't let it put you off.

I find I have to ride defensively almost all the time, i.e. well out from the kerb and wobbling a bit every time I hear a car approaching. Very occasionally I relax thinking 'drivers have been good today' and it is usually at this point that the sort of incident you describe inevitably follows.

Constant vigilance seems to be required, if a driver sees a gap he will generally go for it. By positioning and wobbling I make sure I control the size of the gap (and leave an escape route).
After some rides I'm mentally shattered because I've been constantly assessing potential hazards. It's usually when there has been the odd incident such as being left-hooked, close passed or nearly car doored. Then I'm constantly on edge. There is one particular cycle lane on my route home where if there are pedestrians on the edge of the pavement I'm almost expecting them to step into the road. I really can't let my guard down on the way home from work.

My morning commute is usually much more sedate as I'm out of door the by about 0630 and there is very little traffic or people around at that time of day.

I certainly like the idea of throwing in the odd 'tactical wobble' to keep the vehicle behind on their toes. :lol: