Citroen Ami - Waddya Reckon?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
francovendee

Re: Citroen Ami - Waddya Reckon?

Post by francovendee »

You're right, I think they were supplied from new with rust as a standard feature :) .
I've seen the lengths enthusiasts go to restore them, virtually rebuilt and likely better than when they were new.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Bit surprised at much of the negativity here.

So the Ami doesn't offer enough protection and it's too slow and will hold up other traffic. Sounds a bit like my bike.

Off to the Range Rover dealer to get something more sensible.
Last edited by simonhill on 14 Jul 2021, 10:59am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

simonhill wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 10:48am Bit surprised at much if the negativity here.

So the Ami doesn't offer enough protection and it's too slow and will hold up other traffic. Sounds a bit like my bike.

If you get a ramp you can pop an Ami in the boot for when you need to display your green credentials. Winning at life :D
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

E92A4C23-9CB2-4371-AA1B-3321700A0F9C.png
You can tell who the Ami’s grandad was.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 10:48am Bit surprised at much of the negativity here.
Me too.

I look at machines like these and wonder in what niches they'll be helpful. Criticising them for being unsuitable for niches for which they're unsuitable doesn't seem to add much.

Jonathan
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

simonhill wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 10:48am Bit surprised at much of the negativity here.

I haven’t seem negativity but I have seen objectivity. There are some situations where the Ami will be a plus but there are many where it will be a liability. It’s simply a case of understanding what the the Ami is and isn’t suitable for and then going from there. As for safety, well let people make up their own minds and believe what they want; if they’ve made a reasonably informed risk assessment and still want to drive one then that (within what the Law allows) is their choice.

As I understand it it is possible to buy Electric Golf Buggies for restricted road use, they are a most rare sight.
https://mygolfbuggy.com/vehicles/index.php
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 7:12pm
Me too.

I look at machines like these and wonder in what niches they'll be helpful. Criticising them for being unsuitable for niches for which they're unsuitable doesn't seem to add much.

Jonathan
There are plenty of car club users in London who hire a car for an hour or two to go shopping. Driving on roads that have a 20mph max (and quite often don't get anywhere near that).

https://www.ubeeqo.com/en-gb/car-sharing-london
https://www.zipcar.com/en-gb/what-is-zipcar
https://ecarclub.co.uk/

They may even be of use for inner city residents as you can fit a couple of these in a normal parking space.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

"the injury they can cause to people is behind that. "
And we all know that being smacked by some nice soft bumpers doesn't knock you of the bike at all :lol: I really do wonder how many "responsible" (can't think of a better word) lives are saved by this. Note I consider the idiot stepping out into moving traffic without looking deserving of all them get.
To my mind these machines are brilliant. They will slow other traffic down to safer speeds if there enough of them . If 50% of the motorised road traffic was these then the roads would be a nicer place.
I have no patience for those who want to go some where faster. Start earlier!
Parking spaces could be half the size. Less money would leave the country to buy expensive cars etc. Can't find a fault.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

It seems to depend on whether you are comparing it against a bike or against a car or against a motorbike or against a moped. Each has pros and cons, this could fill a gap in busy inner city areas, or for people travelling to college etc. It would have the benefit of fitting in what passes as a garage these days, even some of the ones that have been semi swallowed up by the house.

I saw a post on facebook about engine powered motorbikes being phased out by 2035, if not earlier, followed by people moaning about electric motorcycles and how they would have to stop several times to charge to travel 200 miles. Has anyone considered charging train carriages? Seems small electric cars, motorcycles and cycles could be parked on a train, plugged in, charged up during the journey then driven off at the destination, hopefully fully charged, it would sort some of the range and charging time problems.
rjb

Post by rjb »

It looks a much better design than the podride.
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/02/01/5- ... r-in-2021/
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (8.81 KiB) Viewed 499 times
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Postboxer wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 7:01pm It seems to depend on whether you are comparing it against a bike or against a car or against a motorbike or against a moped. Each has pros and cons, this could fill a gap in busy inner city areas, or for people travelling to college etc. It would have the benefit of fitting in what passes as a garage these days, even some of the ones that have been semi swallowed up by the house.

I saw a post on facebook about engine powered motorbikes being phased out by 2035, if not earlier, followed by people moaning about electric motorcycles and how they would have to stop several times to charge to travel 200 miles. Has anyone considered charging train carriages? Seems small electric cars, motorcycles and cycles could be parked on a train, plugged in, charged up during the journey then driven off at the destination, hopefully fully charged, it would sort some of the range and charging time problems.
I think that that is right, different vehicles fill different roles and some are able to fill more than one role.

Bikes and motorbikes on trains, what a good idea but I cannot see it happening. Goods vans were ditched years ago and won’t be coming back any time soon. Charging would likewise be a great idea but we start to get involved with quite large amperage and questions about how that will reach the required sockets ... and then there’s paying for it.

Petrol Engine versus Electric Motor is in a flux at the moment, things will end up Electric but it’s hard to see what routes that will follow. I keep my cars for a long time but the current one is already old and I am wondering about replacement options that will serve me well for a decade, there’s no clear answer so I’ll wait until a better time.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Bonefishblues wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 10:53am If you get a ramp you can pop an Ami in the boot for when you need to display your green credentials. Winning at life :D
It's very common in France to see a small car on the front of a péniche (a barge converted for residential use), with a crane to lift the car on and off. I can imagine the new Ami being ideal for that. Their barges (and waterways) are a bit bigger than ours, of course!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

i would have one . perfect for commuting when i can no longer ride to work anymore which hopefully is a long way off
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Postboxer wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 7:01pmI saw a post on facebook about engine powered motorbikes being phased out by 2035, if not earlier, followed by people moaning about electric motorcycles and how they would have to stop several times to charge to travel 200 miles. Has anyone considered charging train carriages? Seems small electric cars, motorcycles and cycles could be parked on a train, plugged in, charged up during the journey then driven off at the destination, hopefully fully charged, it would sort some of the range and charging time problems.
At least nine different niches there... eBikes, eMotorbikes, Amiesque cars, and commuter, intercity and regional rail. : - )

I don't see this happening for the cars... too many different infrastructure changes needed. But I do expect small EVs to be available at railway stations to rent and as taxis, and some of that might involve autonomous operation.

The biggest change that unlocks these possibilities isn't the technology... it's a decline in the desirability of personal car ownership.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 19 Jul 2021, 11:55am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 11:33am
Postboxer wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 7:01pmI saw a post on facebook about engine powered motorbikes being phased out by 2035, if not earlier, followed by people moaning about electric motorcycles and how they would have to stop several times to charge to travel 200 miles. Has anyone considered charging train carriages? Seems small electric cars, motorcycles and cycles could be parked on a train, plugged in, charged up during the journey then driven off at the destination, hopefully fully charged, it would sort some of the range and charging time problems.
At least nine different niches there... eBikes, eMotorbikes, Amiesque cars, and commuter, intercity and regional rail.
I don't know where people will charge eBikes, eScooters and eMotorbikes. I expect it will be very varied. And it may well be different from where they charge "cars".

Jonathan